Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Video Cards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 15, 2012, 05:48 PM
Rookie

Default VGA vs HDMI

Hey I always hear you saying when your talking about graphics that if your still using VGA then you really shouldn't, why is this ? i use my samsung HDTV as my moniter ( 42 inch ) and when i run it with a HDMI cable it looks funny almost slightly blurry. but if i use my VGA cable it looks fine i currently have a HIS Radeon 5770 ( old i know ) im about to upgrade my pc with a ATI 6950 and new motherboard and processor so if you could help me and let me know what is the best connection to use and wether or not i need to look into changing my monitor when i upgrade. Any help would be great

thanks ecck
Old January 15, 2012, 06:38 PM
Hall Of Fame

hdmi/dvi is better because its digital not analog and is always clearer and sharper
Old January 15, 2012, 06:48 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Adjust your overscan settings and set it to 0%.

Old January 15, 2012, 06:57 PM
Allstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoob View Post
Adjust your overscan settings and set it to 0%.

Good one ... that also fixes it when the picture doesn't fill the screen
Old January 16, 2012, 01:59 AM
Rookie

thank a lot guys ill try this when i get in from work, also is there any actual advantage of using a bespoke monitor compared to using an HDTV ??
Old January 16, 2012, 08:20 AM
Rookie

ok i set the overscan to 0 but this makes the screen not fit and doesnt fix the slight blurry effect on the text etc on the screen anything else i can try ?

thanks for any help

ecck
Old January 16, 2012, 09:04 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

You may also need to change your TV to "Just Scan" or your Samsung's equivalent setting is, rather than forcing it to 16:9.

Old January 16, 2012, 09:11 AM
Banned

My System Specs

Vga is analog, hdmi is digital. The difference is that the analog is a continous signal and hdmi is a discrete signal(dunno if thats what its called in english). In other words analog is far more perfect and is more similar with the original wave, but it suffers with "noise". This means that analog is in perfect conditions better, but other waves may desrupt the analog wave making it have less quality. Heres a pic explainig better, cuz my engrish is not so great:

I also wonder why they dont make vga cables with optic fiber, yes i know they couldn bend so much, but then the wave would not be affected by "noise"
Old January 16, 2012, 09:21 AM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

I always get better picture with VGA, tried HDMI and ya there was interference for sure.
Old January 16, 2012, 09:39 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

If your HDMI connection is "fuzzy" then you have your components misconfigured. Fix overscan settings on your video card, and fix the aspect ratio setting on your receiver and/or TV. I went through this experience already with my own HTPC.

The analogy of a digital reproduction of an analogue signal is invalid in the case of a digital display. In fact, theoretically it may even be worse because there is a DAC on one end and an ADC on the other.

One of the few reasons you may want a VGA connection is that it takes a different (quicker) signal processing path before it is shown on your display, resulting in less perceived display lag.

Bottom line, fix your settings and you will be happy with HDMI.