Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Video Cards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 16, 2012, 02:09 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supergrover View Post
TBH I dont think it is the unlock I have never had a unlocked do this, hard locks yes, BSOD sometimes but artifacts is almost 100% GFX.
You could try the 12.1's they have been pretty stable for me..... other than the xfire profile builder/switcher
Huh, where do you get them? I thought there were newer ones out but I couldn't find them on their site.
If you could fire a link my way I'll give them a go tonight.
Old January 16, 2012, 02:57 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supergrover View Post
TBH I dont think it is the unlock I have never had a unlocked do this, hard locks yes, BSOD sometimes but artifacts is almost 100% GFX.
You could try the 12.1's they have been pretty stable for me..... other than the xfire profile builder/switcher

12.1 all I see on AMD site is 11.12 drivers..
Old January 16, 2012, 03:09 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Google to the rescue!
OCN had links to a new 12.1 preview driver:
http://www2.ati.com/drivers/hotfix/c...ws_vista_7.exe

Posting it here so I can find it when I get home in an hour :)
Old January 16, 2012, 09:33 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowmeph View Post
Well if that is the case then people should only have to turn down off some of the audio features. Myself I usually turn down the music to almost 0 and the effects up to around 3/4 if there is voice then I turn that up to 7/8ths main stays 3/4
What in the world are you talking about? It has nothing to do with turning down "some" of the features my friend. All of bf3's audio requires it's own core and will claim it regardless of your high end sound card. The DEV went on to say owning a high end sound card will make little to no difference compared to onboard.

Basically they've taken sound problems out of other peoples hands and fixed it themselves. It was an issue in bf2 for years... bad drivers and poor support etc.
Mah Rig now
Mah Rig before
My stuff for sale.
Old January 16, 2012, 09:54 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

OK I tried those 12.1 preview drivers but they caused more issues than they solved (still saw artifacts even with them)
Firefox crashed 4-5 times & I kept getting directx errors referencing the 12.1 drivers.
Going to roll back to those 11.12 drivers & see what happens. If I still get artifacts the card is getting RMA'd.
Old January 22, 2012, 10:18 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Just a quick update on this.
I started a RMA with NCIX on the 6870. Those artifacts were driving me crazy.

Reinstalled the old 8800 GTX & there are no artifacts whatsoever.
Old February 14, 2012, 04:02 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregH View Post
Just installed my new 6870 today & tested it out in BF3 and so far am a little disappointed.

Other relevant specs (guess I should update my profile over on the right now):
X2 550 dual core @ 3.0
4gb RAM
1440 x 900 resolution

With the 8800gtx I was getting anywhere from 15-30 FPS on all low settings (in MP)
Never took a fps reading in SP.

I can load up the campaign & set everything to ultra, minus some of the AA & HBAO options and I get 30-60 fps.
Happy with that I dropped into MP and was getting 15-20 fps.
Turned everything down to medium & no AA / HBAO but only averaged around 30-40 fps.

My understanding was that BF3 was heavily GPU bound, but is my CPU really holding me up that much?
It & the old 8800gtx played BC2 on max flawlessly.

Seems strange that SP runs great on nearly max settings but that I have to turn it down so much for MP.

Any thoughts appreciated.
Your CPU is a joke performance wise, no offense. Trying to play BC3 with that CPU is a waste of time.
Old February 14, 2012, 07:54 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plasma-0 View Post
Your CPU is a joke performance wise, no offense. Trying to play BC3 with that CPU is a waste of time.
At that RES its not a big issue, I don't see how your post was constructive to what is going on 'Currently' in the thread.
It usually helps to read all the way through instead of just the first post.

-ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com
Old February 15, 2012, 03:24 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Wow, this thread came up again.

Regarding my CPU: I unlocked it to a quad and am happily playing on high settings at 60-80 FPS with the replacement 6870 which is working perfectly.