Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Video Cards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 16, 2012, 08:59 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

OK got an update on this, and it's not good.
I'm now getting artifacts - both while gaming and just web browsing.

Is that a video card issue or could it be related to the unlocking into a quad?
I went back to stock speeds (even slightly under stock) and I'm still getting them.
I guess I can always revert to the dual core & see if I still get them.

Some of the reviews of the 6870 I purchased did complain about artifacts after a few days so I'm wondering if maybe it is the video card.

Thoughts?
Old January 16, 2012, 09:12 AM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

probably the video card its just a thing you have to deal with every now and then just return/rma it and be done with it you just get something bad now and then nothing to go ballistic about and swear of the brand
Old January 16, 2012, 09:24 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

I followed bf3 for a very long time and watched as many of the DEV interviews as I could. One thing a lot of people don't know is a dual core CPU simply isn't enough. Bf3 will dedicate one of the cores JUST for audio and if I remember correctly it will use an aditional 2 cores for the game. You need to get a faster hampster. Also I noticed the 6870 onsale for 150 bux at memx.
Mah Rig now
Mah Rig before
My stuff for sale.
Old January 16, 2012, 09:47 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by clshades View Post
I followed bf3 for a very long time and watched as many of the DEV interviews as I could. One thing a lot of people don't know is a dual core CPU simply isn't enough. Bf3 will dedicate one of the cores JUST for audio and if I remember correctly it will use an aditional 2 cores for the game. You need to get a faster hampster. Also I noticed the 6870 onsale for 150 bux at memx.
Well if that is the case then people should only have to turn down off some of the audio features. Myself I usually turn down the music to almost 0 and the effects up to around 3/4 if there is voice then I turn that up to 7/8ths main stays 3/4
Old January 16, 2012, 11:50 AM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregH View Post
OK got an update on this, and it's not good.
I'm now getting artifacts - both while gaming and just web browsing.

Is that a video card issue or could it be related to the unlocking into a quad?
I went back to stock speeds (even slightly under stock) and I'm still getting them.
I guess I can always revert to the dual core & see if I still get them.

Some of the reviews of the 6870 I purchased did complain about artifacts after a few days so I'm wondering if maybe it is the video card.

Thoughts?
Are the drivers all up to date on the card, you have your old 8800 maybe put that back in to see if you get same issues. mind you you will need to uninstall all the 6870 drivers and then install nvidia drivers .
Old January 16, 2012, 12:38 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Artifacts are usually GPU itself or drivers for it IMO.
Old January 16, 2012, 01:19 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Yep, drivers are up to date (11.12 I believe)
I'll roll it back to the dual core since that's faster than switching out video cards & messing with driver installs again.

Safe to say that if I still get artifacts it's the vid card then?
Old January 16, 2012, 01:36 PM
F@H

My System Specs

If temps are in check and you've rolled back the drivers and then tried up to date ones I would say its safe to assume the card. Though I have had issues like that in the past with Good cards, just crap ATI Drivers.

-ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com
Old January 16, 2012, 01:39 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

TBH I dont think it is the unlock I have never had a unlocked do this, hard locks yes, BSOD sometimes but artifacts is almost 100% GFX.
You could try the 12.1's they have been pretty stable for me..... other than the xfire profile builder/switcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3.0charlie View Post
My knuckles are bleeding from fishing through walls a new CAT6 network cable... I found fresh, untapped electrical outlets...
"It's all in the Reflexes"-Jack Burton
Old January 16, 2012, 02:00 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

I had random artifacts after installing my gtx 460 (was integrated hd 3200 before that) on my computer, but only while playing SCII (yes I got rid of all the old drivers before installing it). I tried so many drivers and thought it was the card, but it was all good after a fresh windows install and the latest drivers.