Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Video Cards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 8, 2012, 08:28 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

As far as I'm aware they won't be un-lockable... but then only time will tell. (I'm sure AMD aren't gonna repeat the foot shooting that the 6950 was, especially after the "fixed" the 6950 to not be un-lockable))
Old January 8, 2012, 12:08 PM
Trial Member

[QUOTE=Zer0;587420]I'm waiting for the XFX 7990 but the 7970 Black Edition looks tempting.

Is this xfx 7970 black ed water cooled? Im looking to but this. Which seller is selling this in Canada?
Old January 8, 2012, 06:18 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

No, it's not watercooled, but it has aftermarket (dual fan) cooling, so that's the version I'd be jumping on personally.
Old January 8, 2012, 07:16 PM
Top Prospect

ncix, newegg and probably eitehr msi or gigabyte - anything that has a decent after market cooler.
Old January 9, 2012, 06:33 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

I ordered the XFX Double D Black edition from NCIX this morning when it was in stock. :)

Last edited by Eluder; January 9, 2012 at 06:40 AM.
Old January 9, 2012, 06:33 AM
Rookie

I couldn't help it. I just saw the cards in stock on NCIX this morning and my impulse got the better of me. It's a good thing I got a Christmas bonus because I had to buy antibiotics for my cat today as well. I already told myself that I should wait and see what Nvidia offered but I already screwed that up. Hopefully, AMD's driver support is better than the mess it has been recently and I don't end up regretting my decision. The fact that they finally added application profiles has me optimistic, though.

Was considering the XFX Double D Black Edition but experienced issues with a non-reference XFX card in the past. Luckily my decision was made for me as both it and the Sapphire changed to "out of stock" while I was still pondering. Went with the PowerColor because personally it's been a fine brand for me in the past and it's $50 cheaper. The limited warranty never bothers me because I always buy a new card every two years or so anyways.
Old January 9, 2012, 07:04 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

I saw it in stock this morning, but i had second thoughts. I read that the XFX Black perhaps has cooling issues, so i am waiting for more reviews.
Old January 9, 2012, 07:27 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuddles View Post
Was considering the XFX Double D Black Edition but experienced issues with a non-reference XFX card in the past.
It's a reference card with a custom cooling solution.
Old January 9, 2012, 07:31 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

Hey r3v07ut10n, where did you read about issues with the XFX card? And what sort of issues?
Old January 9, 2012, 08:55 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

here is 1 i read, there are more as well. But take it with a grain of salt. Different people saying different things. I really am just waiting for more review before i buy. It really only talks about the cooler heating up more do to not expelling air outside. That is all. Nothing to get worried about if you have a good flowing case.

XFX 7970 DDBE And Open Case GPU's HEAT issue