Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Video Cards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 5, 2012, 12:40 PM
Rookie

Default Upgrading from a GTX 460. SLI? Wait for 7xxx? Looking for advice!

Hey guys,

So I am currently running a GTX 460 1gb. It is the MSI HAWK version, so it came with a mild overclock out of the box.

I recently picked up 2 more monitors to compliment my original panel, and would like to try "surround gaming".

So, I am faced with a few options as I see it.

1. Buy another GTX 460 1gb and run them in SLI.
2. Buy a Radeon 6950 2gb, try to unlock it to a 6970, and run eyefinity.
3. Wait for the 7xxx (Probably the 7950, don't think I can swing the price tag of the 7970.)
4. ??????????????

What would you guys do? Option 1 is certainly the most cost effective (My local shop has a 1gb GTX 460 on sale for $139) but I am worried about running that many pixels with only 1gb of ram.

Option 2 packs more ram, but this seems like a dumb time to buy a card. The 6xxx series it right at the end of its life

Option 3 seems safe, but I heard the release of the 7950 has been pushed back until February, I was hoping to get this rolling sooner then that. Is there a ballpark price for this card yet? I heard $349 somewhere, can anyone confirm/deny this?

Open to other suggestions as well!

I don't need to play games with everything maxed out, but I would like to turn things up to reasonably high levels. Playing on 1 monitor with a single GTX 460, I haven't run into problems yet.

Other info:
All 3 monitors are 1080p. I would like to run them at full resolution, but I will settle for 900p or maybe ever 720 if it meant smoother frame rates.

Processor is an i5 750 @~4Ghz
8gb of DDR3 1333
750 watt corsair PSU (Willing to upgrade if necessary)

Thanks guys!
Old January 5, 2012, 01:17 PM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

None of the above. Wait until BOTH NVIDIA and AMD have new products in your price range. For the time being, a GTX 460 will run a single monitor without any issues and the other two can wait until you upgrade.
Old January 5, 2012, 01:20 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Yeah I have to agree with SKYMTL on this one. You are really at the Cusp of new better technology and it would pay to wait it out a little longer till all the new cards are entrenched in the market.
I was in the same sort of boat (I have SLI"d 460's 1GB) and at the end of the day I've decided to just hang onto my Cards until all the new midrange is launched.

-ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com
Old January 5, 2012, 01:25 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

As the 2 previous posts have said, definitley hold out for a 7950 or NVidia part coming soon.
Old January 5, 2012, 02:00 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

If you do end up grabbing another 460 for sli, be careful to make sure the memory width matches your original. There is now a GTX 460v2 1GB on the market with a memory bus width of 192bit instead of the original 256bit and they do not sli together.
Old January 5, 2012, 03:12 PM
Rookie

Thanks for the replies everyone. I guess my plan is clear then.

I just dusted off and plugged in my old 9500GT to power desktops on the other two monitors, I guess that's fine for now.

Regards,
-Ben
Old February 14, 2012, 04:08 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bentech View Post
Hey guys,

So I am currently running a GTX 460 1gb. It is the MSI HAWK version, so it came with a mild overclock out of the box.

I recently picked up 2 more monitors to compliment my original panel, and would like to try "surround gaming".

So, I am faced with a few options as I see it.

1. Buy another GTX 460 1gb and run them in SLI.
2. Buy a Radeon 6950 2gb, try to unlock it to a 6970, and run eyefinity.
3. Wait for the 7xxx (Probably the 7950, don't think I can swing the price tag of the 7970.)
4. ??????????????

What would you guys do? Option 1 is certainly the most cost effective (My local shop has a 1gb GTX 460 on sale for $139) but I am worried about running that many pixels with only 1gb of ram.

Option 2 packs more ram, but this seems like a dumb time to buy a card. The 6xxx series it right at the end of its life

Option 3 seems safe, but I heard the release of the 7950 has been pushed back until February, I was hoping to get this rolling sooner then that. Is there a ballpark price for this card yet? I heard $349 somewhere, can anyone confirm/deny this?

Open to other suggestions as well!

I don't need to play games with everything maxed out, but I would like to turn things up to reasonably high levels. Playing on 1 monitor with a single GTX 460, I haven't run into problems yet.

Other info:
All 3 monitors are 1080p. I would like to run them at full resolution, but I will settle for 900p or maybe ever 720 if it meant smoother frame rates.

Processor is an i5 750 @~4Ghz
8gb of DDR3 1333
750 watt corsair PSU (Willing to upgrade if necessary)

Thanks guys!
Upgrade your RAM before anything. 1333mhz RAM has no place in a gaming system. 1600mhz minimum.
Old February 14, 2012, 04:14 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

1333 ram is fine for gaming.
Old February 14, 2012, 04:35 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plasma-0 View Post
Upgrade your RAM before anything. 1333mhz RAM has no place in a gaming system. 1600mhz minimum.
Quote:
Originally Posted by supaflyx3 View Post
1333 ram is fine for gaming.
To cover Supaflys accurate point here is the [citation needed]

AnandTech - Sandy Bridge Memory Scaling: Choosing the Best DDR3
My Disclaimer to any advice or comment I make;
Quote:
Originally Posted by CroSsFiRe2009 View Post
I'm a self certified whizbang repair technician with 20 years of professional bullshit so I don't know what I'm talking about