Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Video Cards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 1, 2012, 12:28 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

Default Should I upgrade or SLI

I would like to run 3 monitors for gaming. I live in canada and I like performance but I do not overclock yet. Cost is not the most important factor - the most important thing is what will make sense, new vs old. I have a good base to do this. I have a BFG 295 gtx and it has 2 DVI ports and I need 3 so my problem is do I find another 295 gtx and SLI them, or is there a big enough difference in newer cards that already have 3 DVI ports to go with one of them. What do you think? If a new card is the way to go, can you give me some advice on what card I should go with.
I have a i7 920 processor/EVGA x58 MB/6 gig of memory/and BFG 295 gtx.
Thanks
Old January 1, 2012, 12:43 PM
Hall Of Fame

Nah, upgrade that when the new series of cards comes out. There's a large difference in three generations of cards.
Old January 1, 2012, 01:25 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarkStarr View Post
Nah, upgrade that when the new series of cards comes out. There's a large difference in three generations of cards.
Agreed.
Old January 1, 2012, 02:00 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

there's a lot of games that don't like sli or crossfire so i would upgrade
Old January 1, 2012, 02:30 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Quote:
there's a lot of games that don't like sli...
Really? which ones? I have been running SLi for years with out issues. I would like to hear which games do not work with SLI. Thanks
Old January 1, 2012, 03:01 PM
Banned

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phill View Post
Really? which ones? I have been running SLi for years with out issues. I would like to hear which games do not work with SLI. Thanks
What he means is that some games dont scale very well in sli
Old January 1, 2012, 03:41 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

that is right there's a few games i play right now that i get no better fps or improvement when running sli ( weather it's sli'ing my 460 or 480 the improvements are nothing which kinda defeats the point )
Old January 1, 2012, 03:44 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Please tell me the titles bc I am curious.

For me at 2560X1440 I notice a massive FPS boost. BF3, BC2, F1 2010, Dirt 2 and 3 etc etc.
Old January 1, 2012, 03:57 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Not that the 295 is a bad card, but the 4 and especially 5 series and soon to be 6 or 7 series whatever they call it, just offer so much more performance, use less power(more or less) and run cooler(more or less) I would go with win 7 64 bit, and go for a GTX580 3gb if you can afford it, or one of the fancier cards, there is lots to choose from, 560Ti or 560 448 are best bets for performance/$ but sheer performance would be 560 2 win, 580 3gb or 590, 2 sli lower cards as 560Ti are sick fast as well. All depends on the coin you can throw around. I would wait as long as you can for all the new Radeons to come out, and Nvidia should be showing thier new stuff soon enough, I would make up my mind then.

Dont forget SLI scaling depends on the card, generation, and most importantly the game/drivers, I know many of my buds that use 200-400-500 sereis that have performance issues going through different driver sets in RAGE, Crysis 2, Skyrim, and even BC2, where they would get 0 perforamance benefit over a single card through multiple driver sets, nothing is perfect after all, dont count on something that relies on drivers to work well, untill there is a 100% hardware based in the card itself, I personally will not spend that kind of $ on cards that may not work at least 80% of the time better then a single card no matter what I am doing.

Example a dual core vs quad core cpu, the scaling or IPC is just very reasonable on a quad core vs the dual and only make sence to pay the extra costs to do that, so why can it not be like this in SLI or Crossfire?
Old January 2, 2012, 07:14 AM
Rookie

My System Specs

Thanks Dragonstongue and everyone else for the info i am going to upgrade when the new nvidia cards come out.