Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Video Cards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old December 31, 2011, 05:57 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Default Possible to SLI?

Is it possible to SLI two video cards that have different amount of VRAM? For example, can I SLI a 9800 GTX+ 1GIG with a 9800GTX+ 512mb? And would I be using the full 1 gig vram if I used the 1gig card as the main card?
Old December 31, 2011, 06:39 PM
Allstar
F@H

Unfortunately no you can't SLI two cards with different amounts of vram.

FAQ
Old December 31, 2011, 06:40 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by boggtrotter59 View Post

FAQ
Thank you Bog:(
Old December 31, 2011, 06:53 PM
Allstar
F@H

You used to be able to force them to work together using Coolbits... I'm not sure though if you can still do this... I think they removed that option in newer drivers.

Edit:

"When purchasing a second graphics card, you should try to match the memory size so that you are ensured full value and performance from your purchase. However, while it is not recommended, NVIDIA does offer the flexibility to run graphics cards with different sized memory by using CoolBits. Using CoolBits (value set to 18), you can force both of the cards to use the lower of the two memory sizes and operate them together in SLI mode. When dissimilar memory sizes are enabled to work together using CoolBits, the effective memory size for each card becomes the smaller of the memory sizes. Instructions to enable this feature can be found here."

I'm pretty sure you would have to use old drivers to get it to work... Some people claim they can get it to work but others say it doesn't work worth a $hit...

Last edited by boggtrotter59; December 31, 2011 at 07:20 PM.
Old December 31, 2011, 10:08 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by boggtrotter59 View Post

FAQ
Not necessarily true. While it may not be supported 100%, what could happen is the gpu with the least memory drops the card with thw most to match.
Old January 1, 2012, 10:58 AM
Rookie

I tried SLI with my two 9600gt's. One was 512 mb and the other was 1 gb. They worked well together, but the 1 gig 9600gt was only using 512 mb, not the full 1 gig. As long as the GPUs in both cards are the same, then it should work.
Old January 1, 2012, 11:08 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpk33 View Post
I tried SLI with my two 9600gt's. One was 512 mb and the other was 1 gb. They worked well together, but the 1 gig 9600gt was only using 512 mb, not the full 1 gig. As long as the GPUs in both cards are the same, then it should work.
It will always use the lowest memory values same with clocks it will always default to the lower clocked card.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3.0charlie View Post
My knuckles are bleeding from fishing through walls a new CAT6 network cable... I found fresh, untapped electrical outlets...
"It's all in the Reflexes"-Jack Burton