Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Video Cards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old December 25, 2011, 03:18 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Default PCIe x1 -> x16 Adapter Extender Cable

If I am using such a thing to convert one of my X8 ports to get a X16 card in it, how am I supposed to attach the card in the case? I have seen some fancy pictures with the videocards attached on a sort of test bench, or a system for bitcoin mining, but me I just want to install a videocard in my mobo that has only X8 ports.
Attached Images

Old December 25, 2011, 03:23 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

wow does that actually work? That is really kewl. What card do u want to use with it?
Old December 25, 2011, 03:27 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

a radeon 4550. I just want to offer a native win7 chipset, as I don't have access to gamma settings for the colors with the generic driver for the ES1000 ati chip on my mobo. Found a driver for it at Supermicro but is not giving me access to that. Other solution would be to buy directly a PCIE X1 card, I found on newegg a GT520 by Zotac but is out of stock most of the time, i guess is in big demand. also i could use a pci videocard in the pci x slots, should work in theory.

I think this item would be a better solution : PCI Express X1 to X16 Low Profile Slot Extension. My Radeon 4550 is already a low profile solution, with a DMS59 output, dual dvi, and it looks like I would be able to pin it fine with the screw on the top. Because the whole point of this was how to attach it to the case. Well even with the first one I guess I could attach it to the cable and then just suspend it in mid air with the low profile bracket.
Attached Images

Last edited by MARSTG; December 25, 2011 at 04:09 PM.
Old December 25, 2011, 04:25 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

If there is nothing in the way you should be able to carefully remove the back of your PCI-E slot and plug the card directly into the MB.

This is, of course, completely theoretical.....
Old December 25, 2011, 04:50 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I think we can see pretty clear that is not the case of my mobo. if the port would hae bee opened like that one, this thread would have not come to exist. In the case I decide to remove the termination at the end what tool would be safe to use?
Attached Images

Last edited by MARSTG; December 25, 2011 at 05:39 PM.
Old December 25, 2011, 07:54 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARSTG View Post
I think we can see pretty clear that is not the case of my mobo. if the port would hae bee opened like that one, this thread would have not come to exist. In the case I decide to remove the termination at the end what tool would be safe to use?
the MB is to old to support PCI-E not a gaming MB is a server board in pic

i see agp, pci-32, pci-64 x 4, ISA 16bit
Old December 25, 2011, 08:33 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Who said anything about gaming? Supermicro h8dme-2. Super Micro Computer, Inc. - Aplus Products | Motherboards | H8DME-2

I think at number six says : 2 x8 PCI-e. I don't want the board for gaming but for a very nice display.

Last edited by MARSTG; December 25, 2011 at 08:41 PM.