Meh 12 18.18%
Could have been better 5 7.58%
Extremely dissatisfied 0 0%
Voters: 66. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old December 22, 2011, 06:53 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Default Whats your take on the 7970's reviewed performance?

Just out of curiosity, how impressed/disappointed are you guys with AMD's new 7970?

To be honest, I'm actually kind of disappointed, sure its a HUGE leap against the 6970 but it falls short of what i would have expected against a GTX 580 considering that this is AMD's flagship single processor card for the next year. I would have expected more than just 25% extra performance considering the new architecture and shrink to 28nm. If NVIDIA just decides shrink the preexisting 580 die to 28nm, they'll probably have identical performance :S

Be interesting to see what you guys have to say :D
Old December 22, 2011, 07:13 PM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

Might want to make the results public so folks can see the stats. The results are hidden to all right now. Not sure how to change this after the poll is created.
Fold for team #54196
Old December 22, 2011, 07:14 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

I like the card for how it is faster and used far less power. Something nvidia needs to be doing.
Old December 22, 2011, 07:18 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisk View Post
Might want to make the results public so folks can see the stats.
Fixed

And it's an amazing leap for ATI I'd say. Lots of performance gains, and yet they managed to reduce power consumption. Can't really complain.

Granted this means NVIDIA knows exactly what and by how much they need to beat ATI by in order to gain the performance-crown back.
Old December 22, 2011, 07:19 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisk View Post
Might want to make the results public so folks can see the stats. The results are hidden to all right now. Not sure how to change this after the poll is created.
Argh my bad, read over that section in a hurry and thought the results become available after a user has cast a vote (i didn't want any bias to be created by people seeing the poll before they vote). I'm looking for a way to change it now, but cant seem to find one :(

Anyway as it stands, theres 1 extremely satisfied, 4 can't complain, 1 meh, 0 could have been better, 0 extremely dissatisfied.

Sorry about that guys!
Old December 22, 2011, 07:28 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD View Post
Fixed

And it's an amazing leap for ATI I'd say. Lots of performance gains, and yet they managed to reduce power consumption. Can't really complain.

Granted this means NVIDIA knows exactly what and by how much they need to beat ATI by in order to gain the performance-crown back.
Thanks JD, appreciate that :)

And if this proves to be true:
Report: NVIDIA 28nm Desktop GPU Roadmap by VR-Zone.com
NVIDIA have a long way to go before they get they're flagship models out, and they're apparently not expecting much more performance on the 580 than ATI has already achieved. Props to ATI/AMD
Old December 23, 2011, 01:58 AM
Top Prospect
F@H

My System Specs

Excellent job on the 7970 IMHO, if I didn't already have 2 x 6970's I'd get one, as it is there's no reason for me to upgrade at this point.

Another Guy From Canada
Old December 23, 2011, 05:17 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by lKashl View Post
To be honest, I'm actually kind of disappointed, sure its a HUGE leap against the 6970 but it falls short of what i would have expected against a GTX 580 considering that this is AMD's flagship single processor card for the next year. I would have expected more than just 25% extra performance considering the new architecture and shrink to 28nm.
It was an average 41% improvement over the existing 6970, and 25% over the GTX580. Yet it uses less power than either of those cards. That's a home fun if I ever saw one.

The 7970 may be a little expensive for my budget, so I might try to buy a 7950, depending on how much cheaper/less performing it is. I don't really NEED the performance that the 7970 offers anyway. I'm only running 1200 resolution.

HTPC: Z77A-G45; 3770K; Coolermaster GeminII; 2x4GB Kingston HyperX 1600Mhz; MSI R7-260X; 2x 128GB Crucial M4 SSD; 1TB WD Green, 2x 2TB WD Green; PC P&C 750W PS; Fractal Design Node 605;
Son's Rig: M5A97; 1055T; CNPS20LQ; 2x4GB Corsair Vengeance 1600Mhz; ASUS GTX650Ti Boost; 80GB Intel 520 SSD; 320GB WD Black HDD; SPI 700W; Bitfenix Shinobi;
Old December 23, 2011, 05:50 AM
F@H

My System Specs

I think its a rather good card, a little unfortunate about the price as you'll be able to (even right now) to get 2 6970s for the same price as one 7970 and get similar/slightly better results. Other then that, its a beast of a card and love the lower power consumption.
Old December 23, 2011, 05:57 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by lKashl View Post
Just out of curiosity, how impressed/disappointed are you guys with AMD's new 7970?

To be honest, I'm actually kind of disappointed, sure its a HUGE leap against the 6970 but it falls short of what i would have expected against a GTX 580 considering that this is AMD's flagship single processor card for the next year. I would have expected more than just 25% extra performance considering the new architecture and shrink to 28nm. If NVIDIA just decides shrink the preexisting 580 die to 28nm, they'll probably have identical performance :S

Be interesting to see what you guys have to say :D
I think personally its an amazing product, although cost might seem like an issue consumers have not had much qualms in the past paying for the absolute best.
And right now for SINGLE GPU, that is the 7970.

My Only hesitation, and something everyone harps on is the Driver aspect.
I don't care if the card is powerful if I always have driver issues.

ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com