Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   Video Cards (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/video-cards/)
-   -   Whats your take on the 7970's reviewed performance? (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/video-cards/49675-whats-your-take-7970s-reviewed-performance.html)

lKashl December 22, 2011 06:53 PM

Whats your take on the 7970's reviewed performance?

Just out of curiosity, how impressed/disappointed are you guys with AMD's new 7970?

To be honest, I'm actually kind of disappointed, sure its a HUGE leap against the 6970 but it falls short of what i would have expected against a GTX 580 considering that this is AMD's flagship single processor card for the next year. I would have expected more than just 25% extra performance considering the new architecture and shrink to 28nm. If NVIDIA just decides shrink the preexisting 580 die to 28nm, they'll probably have identical performance :S

Be interesting to see what you guys have to say :D

chrisk December 22, 2011 07:13 PM

Might want to make the results public so folks can see the stats. The results are hidden to all right now. Not sure how to change this after the poll is created.

Starage December 22, 2011 07:14 PM

I like the card for how it is faster and used far less power. Something nvidia needs to be doing.

JD December 22, 2011 07:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chrisk (Post 582536)
Might want to make the results public so folks can see the stats.

Fixed :thumb:

And it's an amazing leap for ATI I'd say. Lots of performance gains, and yet they managed to reduce power consumption. Can't really complain.

Granted this means NVIDIA knows exactly what and by how much they need to beat ATI by in order to gain the performance-crown back.

lKashl December 22, 2011 07:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chrisk (Post 582536)
Might want to make the results public so folks can see the stats. The results are hidden to all right now. Not sure how to change this after the poll is created.

Argh my bad, read over that section in a hurry and thought the results become available after a user has cast a vote (i didn't want any bias to be created by people seeing the poll before they vote). I'm looking for a way to change it now, but cant seem to find one :(

Anyway as it stands, theres 1 extremely satisfied, 4 can't complain, 1 meh, 0 could have been better, 0 extremely dissatisfied.

Sorry about that guys!

lKashl December 22, 2011 07:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JD (Post 582538)
Fixed :thumb:

And it's an amazing leap for ATI I'd say. Lots of performance gains, and yet they managed to reduce power consumption. Can't really complain.

Granted this means NVIDIA knows exactly what and by how much they need to beat ATI by in order to gain the performance-crown back.

Thanks JD, appreciate that :)

And if this proves to be true:
Report: NVIDIA 28nm Desktop GPU Roadmap by VR-Zone.com
NVIDIA have a long way to go before they get they're flagship models out, and they're apparently not expecting much more performance on the 580 than ATI has already achieved. Props to ATI/AMD

Snarl December 23, 2011 01:58 AM

Excellent job on the 7970 IMHO, if I didn't already have 2 x 6970's I'd get one, as it is there's no reason for me to upgrade at this point.

great_big_abyss December 23, 2011 05:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lKashl (Post 582527)
To be honest, I'm actually kind of disappointed, sure its a HUGE leap against the 6970 but it falls short of what i would have expected against a GTX 580 considering that this is AMD's flagship single processor card for the next year. I would have expected more than just 25% extra performance considering the new architecture and shrink to 28nm.

It was an average 41% improvement over the existing 6970, and 25% over the GTX580. Yet it uses less power than either of those cards. That's a home fun if I ever saw one.

The 7970 may be a little expensive for my budget, so I might try to buy a 7950, depending on how much cheaper/less performing it is. I don't really NEED the performance that the 7970 offers anyway. I'm only running 1200 resolution.

Arinoth December 23, 2011 05:50 AM

I think its a rather good card, a little unfortunate about the price as you'll be able to (even right now) to get 2 6970s for the same price as one 7970 and get similar/slightly better results. Other then that, its a beast of a card and love the lower power consumption.

Soultribunal December 23, 2011 05:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lKashl (Post 582527)
Just out of curiosity, how impressed/disappointed are you guys with AMD's new 7970?

To be honest, I'm actually kind of disappointed, sure its a HUGE leap against the 6970 but it falls short of what i would have expected against a GTX 580 considering that this is AMD's flagship single processor card for the next year. I would have expected more than just 25% extra performance considering the new architecture and shrink to 28nm. If NVIDIA just decides shrink the preexisting 580 die to 28nm, they'll probably have identical performance :S

Be interesting to see what you guys have to say :D

I think personally its an amazing product, although cost might seem like an issue consumers have not had much qualms in the past paying for the absolute best.
And right now for SINGLE GPU, that is the 7970.

My Only hesitation, and something everyone harps on is the Driver aspect.
I don't care if the card is powerful if I always have driver issues.

ST