Meh 12 18.18%
Could have been better 5 7.58%
Extremely dissatisfied 0 0%
Voters: 66. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old December 24, 2011, 02:24 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

"Meh" but only because it sounds like the next green card is going to roflstomp the entire GPU field.
Old December 24, 2011, 04:34 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by YukonTrooper View Post
"Meh" but only because it sounds like the next green card is going to roflstomp the entire GPU field.
Why do you say that?
Old December 24, 2011, 04:54 AM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Probably because the 7970 *just* edges out the 580 in important games like BF3, before putting it's OC'ed versions (which are very popular bu now) into the equation. SKYMTL's good words were mainly due to the huge leap relatively to AMD's own last gen, but I really don't think there's any excitement about the fact that the 7970 has beaten a card which is over a year old, and at a higher price. Hence the "meh". NVIDIA is taking their time cause they know they can, and my gut feeling is that they will come out with something which will blow everything apart. But ofc I can be wrong ;)

Last edited by GT7R; December 24, 2011 at 05:11 AM.
Old December 24, 2011, 05:51 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I think it's pretty impressive. A big leap in performance from the past generation and a significant jump over the 580. I mean, we can't expect 50% increases per year in performance, but this is about 50% faster than the 5870 was just over 2 years ago, and that was quite the card then. I think this will put amd in a great spot for the next 6-12 months, but this new architecture better have some room to improve. The 6000 series cards were a pretty marginal improvement over the 5000, I think the 8000 ones better be a bigger jump than the 5 to 6 was.

Does anyone else get the feeling that the pricing is high because they need to compensate for bulldozer?
Old December 24, 2011, 06:11 AM
Allstar

The price seems right. For the last 2 years Nvidia and AMD have been throwing punches at each other but only Nvidia made any money. This time AMD realized it was a mistake to release the 5870 for less than $400 at the time of its release. Still a "could have been better" for me as I was expecting a premium vapor-chamber cooler in the lines of the Sapphire Toxic or even EVGA Classified. The product seems rushed.

I am extremely happy that all the game are working properly in single and CF from day one, except for Skyrim in CF. Good job AMD software division but you better keep it up >:(
Old December 24, 2011, 09:07 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT7R View Post
Probably because the 7970 *just* edges out the 580 in important games like BF3, before putting it's OC'ed versions (which are very popular bu now) into the equation. SKYMTL's good words were mainly due to the huge leap relatively to AMD's own last gen, but I really don't think there's any excitement about the fact that the 7970 has beaten a card which is over a year old, and at a higher price. Hence the "meh". NVIDIA is taking their time cause they know they can, and my gut feeling is that they will come out with something which will blow everything apart. But ofc I can be wrong ;)
Nah I get that feeling as well, I was just hoping he might have come across some evidence to substantiate it.

Theoretically, if NV just die-shrunk the 580 to 28nm and operated it at the same TDP as the current 580 its, performance should come very close to or even exceed the 7970's for lower resolutions. And thats only considering improvements to the core and not even the other components.

Also, when NVIDIA's PR department is silent you know that everything is presumably fine, they only have the tendency to start spinning crap when they're desperate and want to assure the community and shareholders that they aren't in the red (mind the pun)
Old December 24, 2011, 01:11 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by lKashl View Post
Why do you say that?
Because with Kepler there is an expected ~100% performance increase over Fermie 2.0. While we've seen that type of jump in performance before, the HD 7970 is only ~25% faster than the GTX 580 and ~40% faster than the HD 6970.

There's a good chance an HD 7970/7950 may land in my rig when Kepler is launched, as I always focus on the $200-$250 range, but it looks like the top-end Kepler will be a monster.
Old December 25, 2011, 08:01 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by TechLetsPlays View Post
In my opinion that card makes up for the fact that the bulldozer was a pile of poop.

AMD have done well to actually beat there competitor this time around with a fantastic card, can't wait to see some of the designs from the partner cards
The problem is they beat their competitors last gen, or at least will when the cards actually launch.

The margin isn't nearly high enough for them to maintain performance lead even if NVIDIA has a mediocre next gen launch. It is a nice jump over the 6970 though, looks like 2012 will be a second place year for AMD again.