Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Video Cards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old December 22, 2011, 09:26 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Interestingly enough, PCIe 3.0 is garnering some results on other sites around the net, depending on workload. Results of up to 10% improvement have been seen in the AES encryption using the 7970 and PCIe 3 vs 2. May help with folding numbers too then since it seems GPU Compute is where the benefits will be seen, over gaming.
My Disclaimer to any advice or comment I make;
Quote:
Originally Posted by CroSsFiRe2009 View Post
I'm a self certified whizbang repair technician with 20 years of professional bullshit so I don't know what I'm talking about
Old December 22, 2011, 10:49 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Feels like a big jump like 4000>5000 wase, except with a bigger price tag. In any case, solid card and looks like they've got a lot of things right. Great review as always.
Old December 22, 2011, 10:51 AM
Rookie

Sky when dose the review unit go up for sale I wants
Old December 22, 2011, 11:03 AM
F@H

My System Specs

They are ES samples and cannot be re-sold.

-ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com
Old December 22, 2011, 11:10 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Nice and comprehensive as always SkYMTL, will you be giving us an update on the overclocking section once afterburner supports overvolting (or whichever other utility you prefer to use)? :D
Old December 22, 2011, 11:27 AM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sagath View Post
Interestingly enough, PCIe 3.0 is garnering some results on other sites around the net, depending on workload. Results of up to 10% improvement have been seen in the AES encryption using the 7970 and PCIe 3 vs 2. May help with folding numbers too then since it seems GPU Compute is where the benefits will be seen, over gaming.
The AES encryption benchmark a certain site used is notoriously inaccurate and gives highly conflicting results. I encourage you to run it and you'll see what I'm talking about. IMO, their result is a "ghost in the machine" rather than a repeatable aspect of performance. There's also a reason why there wasn't additional testing done by that site: PCI-E 3.0 brings zero benefits to this card at this time.

In addition, AES Encryption is a far cry away from OpenCL running F@H. The algorithms are nowhere near the same.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lKashl View Post
Nice and comprehensive as always SkYMTL, will you be giving us an update on the overclocking section once afterburner supports overvolting (or whichever other utility you prefer to use)? :D
I do not overvolt ES cards. From past experience, it is like playing Russian Roulette, most of the time everything goes great but sometimes, the magic blue smoke appears.
Old December 22, 2011, 11:38 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Can't wait to see how they fold. Name:  character0009.gif
Views: 554
Size:  3.3 KB
Old December 22, 2011, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stoanee View Post
Can't wait to see how they fold. Attachment 15417
As I stated: they don't.

Stanford's current GPU3 V3 core is a buggy mess that doesn't even recognize the card. I tried forcing GPU folding, changing priority, changing the GPUID, etc. Every time it dropped the GPU slot.
Old December 22, 2011, 12:29 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKYMTL View Post
The AES encryption benchmark a certain site used is notoriously inaccurate and gives highly conflicting results. I encourage you to run it and you'll see what I'm talking about. IMO, their result is a "ghost in the machine" rather than a repeatable aspect of performance. There's also a reason why there wasn't additional testing done by that site: PCI-E 3.0 brings zero benefits to this card at this time.

In addition, AES Encryption is a far cry away from OpenCL running F@H. The algorithms are nowhere near the same.
Well, good to know. Could have been nice to read about it in the article, at least a blurb?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKYMTL View Post
As I stated: they don't.

Stanford's current GPU3 V3 core is a buggy mess that doesn't even recognize the card. I tried forcing GPU folding, changing priority, changing the GPUID, etc. Every time it dropped the GPU slot.
I assume he means when stanford fixes it

Much like the rest of us, we are "patiently awaiting" folding results
My Disclaimer to any advice or comment I make;
Quote:
Originally Posted by CroSsFiRe2009 View Post
I'm a self certified whizbang repair technician with 20 years of professional bullshit so I don't know what I'm talking about
Old December 22, 2011, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sagath View Post
Well, good to know. Could have been nice to read about it in the article, at least a blurb?
AMD Radeon HD 7970 3GB Review