Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Video Cards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old December 22, 2011, 06:34 AM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

Phase Change TIM is basically a pad that is able to change its consistency slightly when heat is applied. It can then spread into any imperfections within the surface, thus increasing its contact zone.
Old December 22, 2011, 06:35 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Its around the same price of a 1.5GB GTX580 (just a bit more) whereas the 3GB version of the GTX 580s are more expensive ... that makes much more sense now :D

Imminent GTX 580 price drop in 3... 2...
Old December 22, 2011, 06:48 AM
MVP

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by TedShackley View Post
a lot of places say $549, didn't SKYMTL say $499 (edit:on an early page, not the last page...oh well-its expensive either way)

it has 1 of the best performance/watt, and is tied with the 580 for 1 of the WORST performance/dollar
The only place I've seen $499 is on the AMD’s Current and Upcoming Lineup under the Microscope (page 9). Every other review I've read, and SKYMTL's conclusion, puts it at $549.
Old December 22, 2011, 07:07 AM
Rookie

damn, i thought it was coming out in January so i went and bought a 6950 lol still happy with it though
I am confused so the 6990 is still better performance wise, but the 7970 is more efficient?
Old December 22, 2011, 07:35 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aimbayya View Post
damn, i thought it was coming out in January so i went and bought a 6950 lol still happy with it though
I am confused so the 6990 is still better performance wise, but the 7970 is more efficient?

Remember the 6990 is a DUAL GPU card vs a Single GPU 7970.
The fact that a single GPU card gets even close to a Dual is amazing!

ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com
Old December 22, 2011, 07:43 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

I want this card. But I'll have to wait for waterblocks to be available for it, :S which might be a while.
Hopefully with the "paper launch" EK can get some ES cards from amd and start to work right away on some solid full cover blocks.

My Rig: Motivation 2.0
----------------
Build log - Motivation: Sponsored by Galaxy and Corsair
---------------
Check out the HardwareCanucks Youtube Channel for News/Reviews and more!
Instagram Twitter
Old December 22, 2011, 07:46 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattlef View Post
I want this card. But I'll have to wait for waterblocks to be available for it, :S which might be a while.
Hopefully with the "paper launch" EK can get some ES cards from amd and start to work right away on some solid full cover blocks.
Don't blame you, sounds like this card is a loud one. Which is something that hopefully the board partners can work on.

-ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com
Old December 22, 2011, 07:47 AM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Fantastic review Sky. I didn't have time to read the whole thing in depth (hopping on a plane, and there's just a phenomenal amount of infor in the review), but the numbers look promising. I don't think this is enough for me to get rid of my 2x 5870 matrixes, but in a year when I see what nvidia has and the inevitible 8xxx series looks like I might bump up again...
Old December 22, 2011, 07:49 AM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soultribunal View Post
Don't blame you, sounds like this card is a loud one. Which is something that hopefully the board partners can work on.

-ST
It will be interesting what Sapphire or MSI do with this. I just wish XFX's custom cards looked better and ran like the Twin Frozr and Vapor-x cards. Then you'd have an ATI card that had a lifetime and killer looks.
Old December 22, 2011, 08:11 AM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

The $499 is an error. Actual price will be $549 or higher.