Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Video Cards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old December 12, 2011, 08:53 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJThomp View Post
Get the MSI card it runs a lot cooler so you will have more overclocking headroom, it is pretty much a no brainer for me. Honestly As long as you get a decent case you will be fine. I run a GTX 560 ti Twin Frozr II in an m-atx case and I have mine overclocked to 980mhz (runs faster than a GTX 570). In that review the twin frozr II ran 26 C cooler than the EVGA... now slap an even better cooler on to that and you can overclock to your hearts content.

That is unless you plan on going SLI in which case I wouldn't even recommend a mid-tower. At the end of the day new GFX cards are coming out some rumoured to be in the next month some in the next 6 months that are likely to have much better performance so if buying now your next upgrade will probably be a single card again (thats what i would do anyways multi-card setups can be a hassle).
I've even seen them in nice cases burn up a bit so thats not always the norm. Just ask Arinoth..

-ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com
Old December 12, 2011, 10:04 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soultribunal View Post
I've even seen them in nice cases burn up a bit so thats not always the norm. Just ask Arinoth..

-ST
I guess there are outliers in every case... Has Arinoth ever had parts that work properly lol. Everytime I see him post he is looking for replacements for stuff that broke or is just not working properly.
Old December 12, 2011, 10:15 PM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

Then add me to the "outlier" list. The MSI cooler is indeed much better at cooling the GPU (then stock solutions) when there is plenty of fresh air (such as when its an open bench)...but when there is NOT a good and continuous flow of fresh air they run noticeably HOTTER than the stock solution. With one mid grade card its not that big a deal (unless your case air flow REALLY sucks) but I wouldnt SLI them even if it was in my HAF-X case.

YMMV

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old December 13, 2011, 01:32 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
With one mid grade card its not that big a deal (unless your case air flow REALLY sucks) but I wouldnt SLI them even if it was in my HAF-X case.
^^^ You got that right, my TJ09 Case has 5 120mm Fans set-up..all 1400 Scythe except for dedicated GPU Fan which is a 1900 Scythe...I also added a 140mm Xiggy on the side window adjacent to the GPU's.....all this so I can keep my OC 580's at a reasonable 73c Max Temp (with a slight voltage bump n OClock).......really, these high end Cards require a LOT of thought and planning when utilizing them in a multi Card fashion with Air Cooling, keep the Temps down n the Case and your CPU / Chipset will also be happy....when I threw a 3rd 580 in here things really got toasty ;)

Old December 13, 2011, 06:34 AM
Rookie

Bombshell news, my friend has a brand new 570 SC he is willing to give me for $260. Would my mobo (Asrock Extreme3 Gen3) support/fit sli 570s? I really don't have the $ for a diff. motherboard.

oh,also, will XMP work with the 2700k on these? Newegg.com - CORSAIR Vengeance 4GB 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model CMZ4GX3M1A1600C9 or should I gethttp://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820145346

Last edited by noname2020x; December 13, 2011 at 09:07 AM.
Old December 13, 2011, 02:53 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

^^^ I've never used XMP Profiles, you dont need it, just set your timings manualy according to the specs.

Old December 13, 2011, 05:00 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

One of the main problems with the hawks is that if you have a small motherboard that leaves no space in between the cards, the hawks will OVERHEAT BIG TIME. No it was not because of my case, I have a HAF-X with a 230mm side fan and a thick 120mm fan in an air duct designed to cool fermi cards.

My setup was one eVGA reference + one MSI hawk. Putting the hawk on top will cause the HWK to overheat. Putting the hawk on the bottom, it's a night and day difference. (100C after a few minutes of BF3, dropped down to 72C after hours of BF3)

If you play battlefield 3 at ultra settings (1.7gb of VRAM!)
GTX560Ti 2gb version is a MUST

If you don't play battlefield 3 or plan to play only on high:
1gb is Fine.

I know because BF3 is the only thing I play and I went from MSI 1gb + eVGA 1gb to Palit 2gb x2 and difference was HUGE.
Old December 13, 2011, 07:50 PM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by noname2020x View Post
Huh, I totally didn't think about that. I will be using the NZXT M59 (which will be filled with 3rd party fans). I'm going to be honest though, I'm tempted to get the hawk simply because I think it looks so stinkin cool. My main question however is, which one will run games faster and which is more reliable?
As some people here said: reliability issues will depend on your luck lol. The EVGA GTX 560 ti will perform better in games since it has higher clocks.

If I were you I'd get the EVGA. I myself have the MSI GTX 460 Cyclone in SLI and they're great, really keeps the cards extra cool for more OC headroom I would think the Twin Frozr versions are even better. However, as others have mentioned, they blow all the hot air into the case and unless you have the HAF or something it's gonna really cook your CPU. I had to get a new case because of this since my Silverstone Raven only has one exhaust that's being used by my H70. The EVGA already has a decent OC so I'm thinking maybe you can OC it up to 920-940mhz before your cards get toasty and/or loud. EVGA also has outstanding customer support and warranty offers so that's a plus.
Old December 13, 2011, 09:19 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
If you play battlefield 3 at ultra settings (1.7gb of VRAM!)
GTX560Ti 2gb version is a MUST
this is another HUGE misconception I'm seeing posted as well over at Evga.....I played thru BF3 with no issues at all, everything cranked to the Max, with SLi 580's only 1.5GB......the most I saw being used by my set-up was 1.3GB VRAM....I never at any time saw any evidence of the "Jitters" caused by VRAM caching......really this is just plain garbage people Posting about BF3 required at least 2 GB VRAM to run smoothly with everything cranked up.....I'm even playing on 2560 x 1440.Res, no issues at all with 1.5GB VRAM!....tells me any old 1080 Res set up will be perfectly fine with everything cranked with a 1.5 GB Card ;)

Quote:
If you don't play battlefield 3 or plan to play only on high:
1gb is Fine.
...again...more incorrect information for the OP

Quote:
I know because BF3 is the only thing I play and I went from MSI 1gb + eVGA 1gb to Palit 2gb x2 and difference was HUGE.
Had a look at your Signature....obviously if your playing games on Multi Monitor you would see a difference on the VRAM useage / caching......single monitor is an entirely different scenario.

Old December 13, 2011, 09:56 PM
Rookie

would these create a heat problem?

Newegg.com - EVGA SuperClocked 01G-P3-1567-KR GeForce GTX 560 Ti (Fermi) 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card

I've heard they run at like 88c.. should that be a concern?

would a 650w sli them oc'd?

Also, is it true that getting a 3gbps hard drive will slow down an ssd drive compared to a 6 gbps drive? Is there a noticable difference in the speed of the drives?

Last edited by noname2020x; December 13, 2011 at 10:46 PM.