Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Video Cards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old December 12, 2011, 11:48 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

If you allready own the PSU it will probably be enough, but if you are still looking i'd say try to find a decent 850 just to be sure. it also gives you more room for OCing and adding additional componenst later on.
Old December 12, 2011, 01:07 PM
Rookie

Yikes, I can't really afford a 850psu =p.

So after some research the HAWK seems to have some more performance potential, and it has the good looks. The problem is that heat buildup I guess, but only if I SLI. The 6950, though the better performer, won't do well 3D or Physx, so I think I have decided to rule that card out. Plus it won't fit in my stupid case. I'm not quite sure what to do. It's back to the HAWK vs the SOC, but geeze. What if I got the Antec 300 case? That thing cools like a mofo.
Old December 12, 2011, 01:13 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Your 750 will be fine don't worry.
As for the Antec 300...just don't do it. Worst cable management ever.

The M59 is a better case than that is.

If you want something different try the NZXT 410, or Thermaltake A90 Armor.
Good cases, have used both personally.

-ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com
Old December 12, 2011, 01:17 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by noname2020x View Post
Price does not concern me as I am able to get both new for the same price. Which one is better. OC and non OC. I'll be running with an i7 2700k and eventually I will sli.

res=1920X1200

If someone could give me a link that compares them I would be forever grateful.

Thanks!!!
My choice would be that MSI.
Here's a roundup at your disposal: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 560 Ti Roundup: ASUS, EVGA, Gigabyte & MSI
Old December 12, 2011, 02:36 PM
Rookie

Thanks for the link! =)

However, the MSI in the link isn't the HAWK, and why would you get the MSI in the link when the EVGA outperformed it on everything?
Old December 12, 2011, 02:59 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Another point to consider is (from what I have read) if anything does go wrong with one of your cards MSI does its RMA in Canada and doesn't need to be shipped to the U.S. Either way you won't be going wrong. Its just a matter of if you prefer one brand to another, or one cooler to another. I know many MSI cards exhaust in case, but I wouldn't be concerned unless you have a low airflow case. Love my MSI GTX 460 Cyclone.

EDIT: The link above for a comparison review is a different MSI card (slightly). Its the same cooler, but the Hawk has higher clocks from the factory.

Last edited by Bond007; December 12, 2011 at 03:05 PM.
Old December 12, 2011, 05:59 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by noname2020x View Post
Thanks for the link! =)

However, the MSI in the link isn't the HAWK, and why would you get the MSI in the link when the EVGA outperformed it on everything?
The EVGA card was faster because it had higher clock speeds out of the box, but IMO the MSI is the better choice due to it's superior heatsink and better components -
And although in the review they both reached similar clocks, I assume that unlike the reference EVGA, with MSI you'll be actually able to use it overclocked on a daily basis because of that.
Old December 12, 2011, 06:45 PM
Rookie

Gaaa, I still can't decide.

Off topic but should I get the WDBAAY5000ENC-NRSN hard drive or the ST1000DL002... I can get them both for the same price.

As far as the video cards go,what is the real risk with my case being hot?
Old December 12, 2011, 07:23 PM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

IIRC, the Segate "green" LP drive has been EOL'ed. Just for this reason alone I would get the WD Green.

At its most basic a hotter running GPU is a less stable GPU...that ALSO consumes more power. Plus, all you other components will run hotter. This wont matter all that much...but it can limit over clocks and reduce life-span of your parts.

IMHO MSi for great air flow cases (such as the CM HAF line)...and the evga for everything else. Plus as it has been stated before...if you plan to SLI later on...go with the EVGA's. One TF card inside your case aint bad...but TWO pumping all that heat is NOT something you want (once again unless you have a killer case with GREAT air flow)!

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old December 12, 2011, 07:42 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Get the MSI card it runs a lot cooler so you will have more overclocking headroom, it is pretty much a no brainer for me. Honestly As long as you get a decent case you will be fine. I run a GTX 560 ti Twin Frozr II in an m-atx case and I have mine overclocked to 980mhz (runs faster than a GTX 570). In that review the twin frozr II ran 26 C cooler than the EVGA... now slap an even better cooler on to that and you can overclock to your hearts content.

That is unless you plan on going SLI in which case I wouldn't even recommend a mid-tower. At the end of the day new GFX cards are coming out some rumoured to be in the next month some in the next 6 months that are likely to have much better performance so if buying now your next upgrade will probably be a single card again (thats what i would do anyways multi-card setups can be a hassle).