Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Video Cards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old March 6, 2008, 08:19 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Default ATI Catalyst suite 8.3 released

Most people are probably already aware of this, but I thoguht it was worth posting. Here is the link for the various windows versions.

CrossFireX™ (Quad) Support 3 or 4 GPUs in CrossFireX™ Mode
This release of Catalyst™ introduces CrossFireX™ Quad support. Users with any combination of a ATI Radeon™ HD 3870, ATI Radeon™ HD 3850, and ATI Radeon™ HD 3870 X2 graphics accelerators running with 3 or 4 GPUs will be able to run in CrossFireX™ Quad mode (when used in a CrossFireX™ compatible PC). CrossFireX™ Quad will deliver significant performance improvements in a number of applications. Users can expect to see further DirectX 10 QUAD CrossFireX™ performance improvements in future Catalyst™ releases.
Hybrid™ Graphics Support

This release of Catalyst™ introduces Hybrid™ Graphics support. Hybrid™ Graphics delivers a significant 3D performance boost for systems featuring an AMD 780G integrated graphics motherboard and an ATI Radeon™ HD 3400 series graphics accelerator.
Users can simply disable Hybrid™ Graphics to run in power saving mode (the ATI Radeon™ HD 3400 series features PowerPlay™ technology, which reduces power usage during low GPU activity). This feature provides support for up to four independent displays
DirectX 10.1 Support

This release of Catalyst™ introduces WHQL certified support for the DirectX 10.1 API found in Microsoft's Windows Vista Service Pack 1 update for all ATI Radeon™ HD 3000 Series products.
Anti-Aliasing Enhancements

This release of Catalyst™ introduces anti-aliasing support for all Unreal Engine 3.0 based games (running in DirectX 9 mode). Users can enable Anti-Aliasing for titles such as Gears of War and Unreal Tournament 3 by simply enabling Anti-Aliasing within the ATI Catalyst™ Control Center.
This release of Catalyst™ allows users to enable narrow tent and wide tent Anti-Aliasing custom filters while running in the CrossFire™ Super Anti-Aliasing modes, (for DirectX9 applications) providing an improved image quality experience.
ATI Catalyst™ Control Center: HydraVision support for Windows Vista

This release of Catalyst™ introduces HydraVision support for the ATI Catalyst™ Control Center under Windows Vista. HydraVision enables users to more efficiently organize multiple applications across single or multiple displays. High-lights include:
  • HydraGrid - A new feature found in HydraVision that divides the Windows Vista desktop into user definable areas helping users to more easily move and organize multiple applications
  • Hydravision Hotkeys - The ATI Catalyst™ Control Center Hotkey Manager can be used to quickly setup and define their HydraVision specific hotkey commands
  • HydraVision Virtual desktops - Users can configure up to 9 virtual desktops, enabling users to manage and group multiple applications across user defined desktops. Application positions, desktop associations and display settings can be saved for every virtual desktop
  • HydraVision Wizard - Using the ATI Catalyst™ Control Center Wizard, users can very quickly configure their HyrdaVision settings
Digital Panel GPU image scaling

This release of Catalyst™ introduces a new setting that allows users to enable GPU accelerated scaling for Wide aspect LCD displays. The new setting Maintain aspect ratio improves the display resolution image quality when scaling is enable by maintaining the wide panel aspect ratio (stops the image from looking distorted)
Catalyst™ Control Center: Advanced Video Quality Controls

This release of Catalyst™ introduces new advanced video quality controls which include:
  • Edge enhancement, which adjusts the level of sharpness of video content
  • De-noise, which removes ghosting artifacts while preserving details of the original video
ATI Catalyst™ driver: Tessellation support

This release of Catalyst™ introduces Tessellation support in the Catalyst™ driver for the ATI Radeon™ HD 3800 Series of products. Tessellation has the potential to simplify development efforts and improve application performance by creating high polygon models from low polygon models all within the GPU.
Performance Improvements:

The following performance improvements are noticed with Catalyst™ 8.3:
  • Call of Juarez: Up to 20% improvement is noticed on ATI CrossFireX™ configured systems containing an ATI Radeon™ HD38x0 series of product
  • Company of Heroes DX10: Up to 17% improvement is noticed, especially at lower resolutions, on ATI Radeon™ HD38x0 products
  • Crysis DX10: Up to 15% improvement is noticed on all supported ATI Radeon™ products
  • Lost Planet DX9: Up to 36% improvement is noticed across all supported ATI Radeon™ products and in ATI CrossFireX™ configured systems
  • Shadermark 2.1: Performance scores increased up to 35% across all supported Radeon™ products and in ATI CrossFireX™ configured systems
  • Unreal Tournament 2004: Up to 10% increase in performance is noticed on systems containing an ATI Radeon™ HD2400, HD2600, or HD3400 series of products on ATI CrossFireX™ configured systems
For more information on Catalyst 8.3 (for Windows Vista, Windows XP, and Linux versions), including all of the resolved issues in this release, please see the Catalyst 8.3 release notes found in driver download section.
Old March 6, 2008, 09:11 AM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

Installed yesterday, works fine, didnt notice any difference in the stuff I do TBH.
Old March 6, 2008, 09:20 PM
Top Prospect

Consider yourself lucky.

For some people this is a serious step backwards. Go AMD.

I've had two friends message me now saying after installing they could no longer get any 3d application to work. Lots of people are reporting backwards crossfire performance.

I havent installed them yet, I'm not sure I'm going to.
CASE: NZXT Lexa Blackline PSU : OCZ Gamestream 700w
Old March 6, 2008, 09:30 PM
F@H

My System Specs

No problems here with an install on XP.

Maybe the issues are related to the new Vista features.

Asrock AM1H-ITX / AM1 Athlon 5350 / 2X4G Gskill PC3-14900 / Intel 6235 Wi-Fi / 90W Targus Power Brick / 320G Seagate Momentus / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 22" Dell IPS / 1X 22" HP
Old March 7, 2008, 09:13 AM
Rookie

No problems with my rig in XP.
2 x WD 500 GB // Antec Trio 650W
Antec P180 with 2 x Stealth 120mm fan
Old March 7, 2008, 04:02 PM
Rookie

once again a xp user and i have no problem with the 8.3 drivers. also isnt the 780g motherboards come with a hd 3200 not a hd 3400, thats what i got from the articles i read but i just skimed it so maybe i read wrong. does anyone no for sure what video card is in the 780g mobo i would like to know for i want to build htpc system with one!
Old March 8, 2008, 08:08 AM
Top Prospect

yes all my confirmed reports of death were on Vista I believe.

But still where's the Crossfire X support. Huge Marketing Joke. ( yes I know its there... now does it do anything.. not so much )
CASE: NZXT Lexa Blackline PSU : OCZ Gamestream 700w
Old March 8, 2008, 07:03 PM
MVP
F@H

I think the 8.3's for XP don't represent a very big change, because crossfire X is vista-only. I installed it on vista x64, and could no longer run 3d apps. After 3-4 reboots it finally made it through 3dm without a crash. My cpu score was halved, and the other scores reduced. Looking at the log, the cpu was near 100% through the entire test, which just isn't right. Went back to 8.2's for now, sheesh.

Its hard to believe that AMD would be this foolish when everyone has been waiting for this driver since the 3800's came out. Honestly I'm starting to wish I had just bought a WII or something instead of a second card.
VIDEO: 3 x Visiontek HD3870
Old March 8, 2008, 07:33 PM
Allstar
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinister View Post
I think the 8.3's for XP don't represent a very big change, because crossfire X is vista-only. I installed it on vista x64, and could no longer run 3d apps. After 3-4 reboots it finally made it through 3dm without a crash. My cpu score was halved, and the other scores reduced. Looking at the log, the cpu was near 100% through the entire test, which just isn't right. Went back to 8.2's for now, sheesh.

Its hard to believe that AMD would be this foolish when everyone has been waiting for this driver since the 3800's came out. Honestly I'm starting to wish I had just bought a WII or something instead of a second card.
XP32 and my 3dmark score where halved as well, but let me tell you that in game, Crysis runs twice and good as the 8.2 drivers!!

So im happy

Benches are nothing if they dont reflect real world performances, my guess its a bug.

Old March 8, 2008, 08:45 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apollo4g View Post
XP32 and my 3dmark score where halved as well, but let me tell you that in game, Crysis runs twice and good as the 8.2 drivers!!

So im happy

Benches are nothing if they dont reflect real world performances, my guess its a bug.
Hopefully somebody running crysis under XP will chime in here as well. I suspect there's still a real problem under Vista, but that the improvement for Crysis was probably a separate driver tweak.

Do you have any other intensive games you can compare to which might not have a specific driver tweak Apollo4g?

Asrock AM1H-ITX / AM1 Athlon 5350 / 2X4G Gskill PC3-14900 / Intel 6235 Wi-Fi / 90W Targus Power Brick / 320G Seagate Momentus / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 22" Dell IPS / 1X 22" HP