Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Video Cards

View Poll Results: Two GTX 590s, or Four GTX 580s?
4x Nvidia GeForce GTX 580 19 52.78%
2x Nvidia GeForce GTX 590 17 47.22%
Voters: 36. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old December 1, 2011, 05:01 PM
Rookie

Question Two 590s or Four 580s?

I plan on loading my upcoming gaming rig with Nvidia cards, so I would like to ask a question.

Which one has higher performance? Two GTX 590s or Four GTX 580s?

I would go for two GTX 590s since that would be cheaper, smaller, and more energy effecient (and possibly quieter) than the other option, but the GTX 590s don't have all of their CUDA Cores activated, wouldn't have as much V-RAM, and are downclocked. I am also unsure about the SLI scaling. Some people think that the GTX 590s have slighter better scaling when it comes to that.

And before you mention it, I have heard of the Mars II, but it is VERY big, VERY expensive, requires alot of power, and they are quite rare. I bet ASUS doesn't even sell them anymore. They did only make 999, afterall.

I have another question:

Would it be possible to use two 580s, a Quadro 6000, and a Tesla C2075 in SLI in the same system? Someone should experiment with that.

Last edited by Amaroq Dricaldari; December 1, 2011 at 05:30 PM.
Old December 1, 2011, 05:10 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

why the hell would you buy 4x 580s for a gaming rig or 2x 590s

SteelSeries 6Gv2 // SteelSeries Kana White // Steelseries Siberiasv2 White // BenQ XL2410T // Samsung 2233rz
Old December 1, 2011, 05:18 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by severity View Post
why the hell would you buy 4x 580s for a gaming rig or 2x 590s
Sometimes you need maximum performance. I have seen plenty of Gaming Rigs where the users go out of there way in the name of high performance and great graphics, and that includes loading them full of the highest-end hardware they can buy.

I just joined these forums and I am not sure how you people would respond to this.

So I am assuming that you think I should use an Intel Celeron Processor and Integrated Graphics? I don't want to be jerk, but have very little tolerance for things like this.

I sincerely apologize for getting mad at you about that, but I'll it again that I have minimal (ie, insufficient) tolerance for those kinds of comments.

Last edited by Amaroq Dricaldari; December 1, 2011 at 05:32 PM.
Old December 1, 2011, 05:22 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Eh. What are you using the rig for exactly? If you just want the best of the best, I'd say 4x580's. They will likely outperform the (ever so slightly) crippled 590's. But at that cash level, I'd really be tempted to hold out for 3 months (again, depending on use) for the 6xx series.
My Disclaimer to any advice or comment I make;
Quote:
Originally Posted by CroSsFiRe2009 View Post
I'm a self certified whizbang repair technician with 20 years of professional bullshit so I don't know what I'm talking about
Old December 1, 2011, 05:25 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Of those 2 choices I would say 4x580 would have higher performance.
Desktop: Antec Three Hundred, Z77-D3H, 3570K undervolt @4.1ghz with Zalman Optima Cooler, Corsair Vengeance 2x4gb@1866mhz, HD 6950(unlocked shaders and OC'd), Bitfenix Fury 750w, WD Black 1TB, Intel 530 120GB
Away from home light Gamer: Acer Aspire 15.6", A8-3500m undervolt and OC to 2Ghz, 2x4gb Corsair Vengeance, Crucial M500 240gb
Old December 1, 2011, 05:29 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sagath View Post
Eh. What are you using the rig for exactly? If you just want the best of the best, I'd say 4x580's. They will likely outperform the (ever so slightly) crippled 590's. But at that cash level, I'd really be tempted to hold out for 3 months (again, depending on use) for the 6xx series.
Turns out it isn't going to be called the GTX 600 Series. Instead, Nvidia is going to call them the following:

GK 112
GK 110
Etc.

There is a thread on the Nvidia Forums about the upcoming graphics cards, and one person made a link to a graph containing the information.

Crap, why didn't I just go on the Nvidia Forums?
Old December 1, 2011, 06:50 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amaroq Dricaldari View Post

Good question.
Old December 1, 2011, 08:07 PM
F@H

My System Specs

I'm hoping you're going to b going X79 platform, otherwise you're going to get bottlenecked on the 3rd and 4th gpu causing less then optimal gaming performance.
Old December 1, 2011, 08:14 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Sometimes you need maximum performance. I have seen plenty of Gaming Rigs where the users go out of there way in the name of high performance and great graphics, and that includes loading them full of the highest-end hardware they can buy.

I just joined these forums and I am not sure how you people would respond to this.

So I am assuming that you think I should use an Intel Celeron Processor and Integrated Graphics? I don't want to be jerk, but have very little tolerance for things like this.

I sincerely apologize for getting mad at you about that, but I'll it again that I have minimal (ie, insufficient) tolerance for those kinds of comments.

Well this is the internet and it does honestly help to have a bit thicker skin than that. Otherwise nothing will ever get accomplished.
As well you should know that you would get reactions like this regardless because its not everyday somene comes in looking at opinions on a Quad SLI solution. I interpeted his post as a 'Holy Crap'.

Now that that is aside, I think you would get less dimishing returns and have better managment getting 2 590's together.
You can then have a better selection of cases to choose from, and it minimizes the amount of adaptors you need to make 4 Single GPU's work. Most high end 1K PSU's will drive a pair of 590's and not need adaptors to make it happen.
Again if you have a tech bench though than this is a non issue. But in keeping simple and keeping managment of components to a minumum 590 is best IMO.

But then again, what do I know. I still think you should run 1024X768 on your Celly with its IGP.

ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com
Old December 1, 2011, 08:16 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Turns out it isn't going to be called the GTX 600 Series. Instead, Nvidia is going to call them the following:

GK 112
GK 110
Etc.

There is a thread on the Nvidia Forums about the upcoming graphics cards, and one person made a link to a graph containing the information.

I'm sure they'll still have street names, probably 6xx series. I'm pritty sure the 'GK 110' is just the chip code name, much like the GF 110's of the 5xx series.
My Disclaimer to any advice or comment I make;
Quote:
Originally Posted by CroSsFiRe2009 View Post
I'm a self certified whizbang repair technician with 20 years of professional bullshit so I don't know what I'm talking about

Tags
580 , 590 , gtx , sli