Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Video Cards

View Poll Results: Two GTX 590s, or Four GTX 580s?
4x Nvidia GeForce GTX 580 19 52.78%
2x Nvidia GeForce GTX 590 17 47.22%
Voters: 36. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old December 1, 2011, 08:28 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sagath View Post
I'm sure they'll still have street names, probably 6xx series. I'm pritty sure the 'GK 110' is just the chip code name, much like the GF 110's of the 5xx series.
This.
Maybe this means it's a completely new chip and not a reworked one?
Old December 1, 2011, 08:32 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by supaflyx3 View Post
This.
Maybe this means it's a completely new chip and not a reworked one?
Ground up design.
Not a shrink or rebuild as far as I know.

-ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com
Old December 1, 2011, 08:44 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soultribunal View Post
Ground up design.
Not a shrink or rebuild as far as I know.

-ST
Yes, 384 bit bus, 512 on the high end. I dont think its possible to port the existing architecture of Fermi (err, I mean GF 110, err GTX 4xx ) over to that high of a bit bus. You'd probably save time redesigning from the ground up, then trying to make it work.
My Disclaimer to any advice or comment I make;
Quote:
Originally Posted by CroSsFiRe2009 View Post
I'm a self certified whizbang repair technician with 20 years of professional bullshit so I don't know what I'm talking about
Old December 2, 2011, 12:13 AM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amaroq Dricaldari View Post
I plan on loading my upcoming gaming rig with Nvidia cards, so I would like to ask a question.

Which one has higher performance? Two GTX 590s or Four GTX 580s?

I would go for two GTX 590s since that would be cheaper, smaller, and more energy effecient (and possibly quieter) than the other option, but the GTX 590s don't have all of their CUDA Cores activated, wouldn't have as much V-RAM, and are downclocked. I am also unsure about the SLI scaling. Some people think that the GTX 590s have slighter better scaling when it comes to that.
590s don't have less RAM nor any cores disabled, they're just underclocked, so you'll get the same 2048 stream processors with 1.5 GB per GPU.

And IMO 590s are the way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amaroq Dricaldari View Post
Turns out it isn't going to be called the GTX 600 Series. Instead, Nvidia is going to call them the following:

GK 112
GK 110
Etc.

There is a thread on the Nvidia Forums about the upcoming graphics cards, and one person made a link to a graph containing the information.

Crap, why didn't I just go on the Nvidia Forums?
GK 110 etc are just the codenames, just as the 570/580/590 core is GF110. I assume GF means Fermi while GK means Kepler.
Old December 2, 2011, 12:18 AM
Top Prospect

probably better driver support for running two 590s I bet quad 580s is a pretty rare configuration considering how few boards can fit that many double slotted cards. But the 580s would overclock better and probably be 10-20% faster.
Old December 2, 2011, 11:57 AM
Lyserberg

Honestly you won't need more than a GTX590 to run "ANY" game on the market right now,i can't imagine any CPU that an provide enough resources to cover these 4GPUs needs,even for a X79 i wouldn't expect it to be not bottlenecked (even by a small margin)
2 things to reccomend:
Buy a workstation machine and load it with 2 XEON EACH 6CORES HTeded and blow 2 GTX590s inside
or buy a single GTX580 or a GTX590 card.
Save the money for the future,games don't worth wasting money on them,the earth is living an economic crisis,who know what is going to happen next? GETTING FIRES MAYBE? and then you'll wish you had enough money!
Old December 2, 2011, 12:17 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Instead of bashing him, just answer the question. Maybe he's trying to run Battlefield 3 in a 3D Surround config, and actually needs the horsepower. I'd go with dual 590's myself. On a X79 board.
Old December 3, 2011, 10:38 AM
Lyserberg

Correct me if i'm wrong,but why would anybody play BF3 with 3D Surround?
NVIDIA has really managed to get this idea inside some PPL heads,no offense but just one screen with 3D,one GTX590 is more than enough to live the Battlefield3 experience,althought to answer on this question i suggest getting a X79 platform with the extreme edition CPU,throw Dual 590s in there,download the latest drivers,and pray to LOCK 60FPS even with explosions on the screen,On campain more than multiplayer,this game could be a real challenge to higher end systems :B
Old December 3, 2011, 10:59 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Answer: 4x 580 will outperform 2x 590 and you have a much larger selection to chose quality, overclocking, custom heatsinks, etc.

edit: Answer 2: you can only see increased SLI performance with the same model/clock GPUs (i.e. 580 + 570 will NOT enable SLI for performance gains). Look at nvidia Maximus technology to see the potential of using Tesla/Quadro together... the problem is that you'll need software programs that can actually take advantage of this.

Note: When you ask is $1500 in GPUs or $2000 in GPUs better, people assume that means you haven't properly researched, you don't understand the tradeoffs of either system and are trying to keep you from making a noobish mistake that could be solved by:

-Providing your mobo (i.e. what are the PCIe slots like)
-Providing your case (does it have enough slots... 10 slot?)
-What resolution are you gaming at? (i.e. there is nothing that can't be maxed out @ 1080p on 2x 580)
-Do you have non gaming needs for your GPUs (i.e. you want to set a super high benchmark score, F@H, all which can use more GPU than gaming)
-What is the rest of your system (will be bottle necking it with poor other parts?)
-PSU... are you aware that not all high wattage PSUs can actually run 4x 580?

Sure, when you ask about dropping +$1500 in parts, we can assume the rest of your system is good, but if you have to ask this, it makes us think you don't research hardware all that much.
Old December 3, 2011, 02:57 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Sorry, I disagree with some here, you'll get better overall performance from 2 x 590's in Quad SLi then 4 individual Cards, nv simply hasn't bothered to optimize Drivers for 4 Cards yet, likely never will, yes some performance boost with the 4th Card, but minimal.
I didn't bother checking any of your choices in your poll as the once choice you left out that I would consider for a "super high Res build), as in 3 x U3011, would be a more simply Tri SLi 580 3Gb set-up. These you'll be able to OC quite high, scaling will be a ton better than Quad SLi, power consumption will be reasonable (1 good 1.2kW PSU) and your results will be very good as far as gaming goes.

Quote:
extreme edition CPU
...and why does he need an Extreme Edition Chip?? For an extra 3MB Level 3 Cache, not at all , a K series chip is more than enough

Tags
580 , 590 , gtx , sli