Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Video Cards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 29, 2011, 09:38 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Default should xfire 6990 show up as 4 or 2 gpus?

Normally I wouldn't bother with this becasue it is from a different site but it does have my couriosity going so I will ask here.
an Aquitaine of mine on a different forum site is building a pc with xfred 6990s he is saying that when he runs the cards xfired the bench marks are lower then when running a single card.
this is what he is saying here
Quote:
Ok, I got the second ATI 6990 for this build I am doing. Benchmarks were lower with both cards then one, so I knew something was wrong. WIth both cards in I also can not connect the DVI to the bottom card and get a signal to my screen, but both cards work independently. BOth cards function independently and benchmark properly, no problems. So I dont know what the hell my problem is.
I have the Gigabyte GA-P67A-UD7-B3 motherboard. Great board, bothers me theres no way to run both cards in the two pci 16x slots as one card gets smothered, so running one in x16 and the other in x8. But no matter what I do I can only see 2 gpus, quadfire will not work and can not get a signal from the second card when both are in. I have the four 8 pin connectors hooked up to the power supply just like they should be, listed on the power supply, 1500 watt Thermaltake Power supply, running on top 4 slots as it lists on the PCI cables 12v5 12v6 12v7 and 12v8 wires. Crossfire cable connected, runs in crossfire no problem, but can not get both cards to work. ANY IDEA ON WHAT THE **** IS GOING ON. I am out of ideas. I am going to try testing in the two x16 slots tomorrow I guess just to see if all 4gpus show up, when I put them in that way and used furmark, cant run it like that, top card gets smothers and way too hot, but did not look if there was 4gpus when I did it, I just took it out as I know you only lose about 2 percent peformance using 8x and 16x so shouldnt be a big deal. BUT NOT SEEING 4 GPUS and running QUADFIRE is driving me ******* nuts.
Old November 29, 2011, 09:41 AM
F@H

My System Specs

I'm not sure, though perhaps the motherboard has a shotty pci-e slot, the card isn't mounted firmly enough in it, or for whatever reason the card's pci-e slot is defective. I know I had an AMD card ones where I had to fiddle with its seating before the computer recolonized the second card.

Running GPUZ would/should solve the problem, as it'll report each of them independantly.
Old November 29, 2011, 11:15 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

thanks I actually never thought of that.