Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Video Cards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 29, 2011, 02:13 AM
Lyserberg

Default Video card overheating

Hello everyone!
hey i know,i did ask Linus a hardware related question but honestly i didn't find the appropriate forum for this
Ok my problem is with my 9400GT,a couple of months ago i watched your OC guide for GPUs and i thought i can get better perfomance outta this very old card
i unlocked the trigger and started to push this thing to MAX,i started seeing artefacts,then i started to lower it,by a 10MHZ margin everytime until i get a artefctless image,now here's the intresting part,one day i turned on my machine to play some CRYSIS2 (AT high,800x500 becoz i have a 1680x1050 monitor 20 inches) and i noticed that the game gets slower in a matter of 5 mins,i did a test! i took that level where you do benchmarks,i did stop where the FPS was locked at 40,and after 5 mins it droped to 20
Far Cry 2 drops from 35 to 22,FIFA 12,lose 50% perfomance,and so on in ohte games depeding on their programmation.
when i opened up Afterburner when windows starts,i see a 40 degrees at idle tamping up to 80 also at idle,?? and when i play games it jumps to 105 degrees,and there where the slowing down issues seem to happen.
I know it's been long so far,some PPL told me that i damaged some VRM by making this card run very hot...etc,but anyway this card is fanless (only have a heatsink on it) althought it has a fan header on it and there's where the question is!!
Do you reccomend sticking a 120 or 140 mm fan to the PCB of my graphics card (i don't want to overwiehgt the heatsink) or just give up and play my games very slowely
here's the specs on this machine
Intel P DC E2220 2.2GHZ
2GB DDR2 667
NVIDIA GEFORCE 9400 GT 1GB DDR2,unlocked from Palit
and an old 160GB IDE drive
Old November 29, 2011, 04:35 AM
F@H

My System Specs

I'd recommend taking a look at the tutorial guide I have in my signature, it may be that your default fan profile is running your graphics card fan too slowly, causing your card to run alot hotter then it should.
Old November 29, 2011, 04:53 AM
Hall Of Fame

try a slot cooler or a fan bracket to direct outside case air flow over gpu
Old November 29, 2011, 07:21 AM
Lyserberg

You don't get it,this card is 80 dergees at idle and 105 at max load,when it reachs that it slows down in order to prevent the card from reaching the 125 which is a synonym of death
This card isn't mine,it's my father's card and i want to fix it without he knows
Old November 29, 2011, 07:24 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Yeah, it's because the card is running the default fan profile. Unless you have manually changed the fan speed to 100% and its still overheating, you're stuck on the crappy fan profile causing the card to overheat in probably a poor air flowed case.
Old November 29, 2011, 07:25 AM
Lyserberg

I wanna know if i can stick a fan into that card,actually i'm OCing it (if you wanna argue with me this overheating also happens when it's at stock clocks) to have benefits in less intensive graphical tasks (video rendering,V-Synced old games ....etc)
The card beforr it overheats just blows me away in most modern games,but when it overheats(and so on slows down) i start shooting my legs with my SCAR-L

LOL! there is NOOOOOOOOO FAAAAAAN! sure afterburner max out fan speed to 100 when the card just reachs 85 degrees but the problem is there's no fan to run at MAX
this card came outta the box with no fan,and weirdly threre's a fan header :/

i'll give you guys screenshots wait for me :)

Last edited by Arinoth; November 29, 2011 at 07:31 AM.
Old November 29, 2011, 07:32 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Ok, I wasn't aware yours was without a fan.

Also, please do not post several times within a short period of time, it is against the forum rules. Instead update your post by editing it instead.
Old November 29, 2011, 07:40 AM
Lyserberg

Lightbulb

Sorry but this is my very first time in this forum (i was only going to Linus' forum)
Ok yeah here's the screen shots,you have one screenshot in afterburner at idle,another one in kombustor after 1mn and another after other 3mns,the order isn't quite respected but i think you know already how the scenario actually go
Please guys look at Framerate Temps in think this is extremely dangerous
in the first Capture with 91 degrees the FPS was around 27 frames per second
Attached Images

Old November 29, 2011, 08:08 AM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyserberg View Post
You don't get it,this card is 80 dergees at idle and 105 at max load,when it reachs that it slows down in order to prevent the card from reaching the 125 which is a synonym of death
This card isn't mine,it's my father's card and i want to fix it without he knows

then slap a waterblock on GPU with or ebay a fan for it
Old November 29, 2011, 10:05 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaptCrunch View Post
then slap a waterblock on GPU with or ebay a fan for it
Can we try and post something usefl instead of this?

To the OP.
That is one hot card, I am going to suggest a few things.

One can we get some pictures of the card in case perhaps so we know what kind of total situation we are dealing with.

Secondly, barring that you could do two things. Putting fans around will help airflow (provided you get enough intake in the case) and given the age of the card replacing the Thermal paste on the GPU to something like Zalman ZTMG or MX5 from AC might help too.

Fans to use:

Vantec ? Vantec Spectrum Fan Card - SP-FC70-BL - System Fan Card with Dual 70mm Adjustable UV LED Fans

I've sucessfully used that for fanless cards in the past and its helped.

Or,

NCIX.com - Buy Antec Spot Cool Adjustable System Cooler Blue LED 3 Speed 2000-3000RPM 23-33DBA 15-22CFM - ANTEC - SPOT COOL - in Canada

For starters.

Regards,
ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com