Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Video Cards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old December 2, 2011, 09:22 AM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT7R View Post
I'm really curious about what card does he use in his personal rig...!!
I was using a HD 6950 2GB until driver issues with new games forced me to change to a GTX 580 3GB.
Old December 2, 2011, 11:24 AM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKYMTL View Post
I was using a HD 6950 2GB until driver issues with new games forced me to change to a GTX 580 3GB.
Ah, even with a single card there are driver issues with AMD GPUs... that's new to me.
Initially thought that I was too easy minded when bought a 580 at the next day after it's launch, but so far I'm overly impressed by it.
And BTW on the subject of the (excellent, as always) review, I would love to see how overclocking different cards affect their power consumption as well.
Old December 2, 2011, 12:29 PM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

yeah, i had a lot of problems with a single 6950 in eyefinity. which is why i want to go over to a dual card nvidia solution. gtx 580 3gb sounds good. guess you won't be needing those 448s!
Old December 3, 2011, 07:56 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Thanks for the review Sky!

I find it odd this card wasn't out sooner. Was nVidia just waiting until the pile of just-barely-failed 110 chips got high enough to ship out to their partners? The 570/580 have been around for what, a year now?
Old December 5, 2011, 11:33 AM
Top Prospect

great review. Certainly a strange card. Did not know until I read this that it was basically a core limited version of the GTX 570. Was hoping it'd hit closer to 250 though. pretty tough not to go for a 570.

I have a conspiracy theory that this model has nothing to do with "binning". The cores would have been perfectly capable of being fully enabled but Nvidia is just purposely gimping them like AMD did with the 6950.

Last edited by bradleyg5; December 5, 2011 at 12:11 PM.
Old December 6, 2011, 02:38 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Thanks for the thorough and well written review.

Had the 570 back in my mind as the card I was planning on getting but decided on the 560 Ti 448 instead (EVGA Classified) after checking out reviews, mainly HWC's. Would rather go with the 570 but prices on the 570 are $350+ in Canada..for just bit over $300 and at comparable perf to a non-OC 570 I think the new 560Ti is worthwhile plus I'm not planning to SLi.

It's replacing an ATi 4890 yikes! (back when ATi was still ATi!) - and before that Nvidia so I seem to switch back and forth. The 4890 served me well for 2 years..for a single card , literally zero issues but time for an upgrade. I'm a bit tentative going back to the green camp because I seemed to have bad luck with Nvidia cards, hope this time things are smoother.

Last edited by morphy; December 6, 2011 at 02:49 AM.
Old December 6, 2011, 11:47 AM
MVP

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by morphy View Post
Thanks for the thorough and well written review.

Had the 570 back in my mind as the card I was planning on getting but decided on the 560 Ti 448 instead (EVGA Classified) after checking out reviews, mainly HWC's. Would rather go with the 570 but prices on the 570 are $350+ in Canada..for just bit over $300 and at comparable perf to a non-OC 570 I think the new 560Ti is worthwhile plus I'm not planning to SLi.

It's replacing an ATi 4890 yikes! (back when ATi was still ATi!) - and before that Nvidia so I seem to switch back and forth. The 4890 served me well for 2 years..for a single card , literally zero issues but time for an upgrade. I'm a bit tentative going back to the green camp because I seemed to have bad luck with Nvidia cards, hope this time things are smoother.
Bad luck with team green? I mean, aside from the FX5xxx series fiasco, NVIDIA has been pretty solid. And yeah, the pricing for everything got real bad after the release of this card. I can't remember the last time I saw a new release drive all the prices up, not down.
Old December 7, 2011, 02:58 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jebusman View Post
Bad luck with team green? I mean, aside from the FX5xxx series fiasco, NVIDIA has been pretty solid. And yeah, the pricing for everything got real bad after the release of this card. I can't remember the last time I saw a new release drive all the prices up, not down.
Bad luck as in random freezes, nvlddmkm driver faults - happened on 2 successive cards, tried different drivers same thing, switched to ATi Sapphire Vapor-X and everything was fine again. Haven't had such a problem free card for that long with any vendor.

Anyways heard good things about the Nvidia 5000 series cards and decided not to wait for AMD 7000 cards. Then I read around that the EVGA Classified cooler is noisy and I thought non-reference coolers are meant to be quiet and efficient. Ain't nothing easy these days :(.
Old December 10, 2011, 08:58 AM
Rookie

Umm, I had to register just to correct this review. This guy (reviewer) is obviously big time biased toward Nvidia. Lets look at some obvious errors I spotted.

He says the price of the 6950 2Gb is "275 before rebates". Not sure why he's not counting rebates other than to make AMD look bad (because 560 ti 448 doesnt have any rebates, but AMD 6950 2GB cards do!), but I just poked over to newegg and 6950 2GB is available for $245 after rebated, $259 before rebate (Twin Frozr no less). 560 Ti is $289 no discounts. Changes the value proposition right there alone. 7% more performance is worth that?

The bigger issue that he ignores though is that the 560 448 is only 1280 MB card. Talk till you're blue in the face how that doesn't matter but the FACT is it's becoming an issue right now, let alone how it will get worse in the future. BF3 is confirmed to use 1.4GB+ VRAM at higher settings/1080P (and pretty sure higher settings is right where a $300 card like the 560 448 needs to perform at). So uh, yeah, have fun with your stuttering cus your brand new 560 TI $300 video card is running out of memory on todays latest and greatest game. Somebody will probably mention BF3 is in the review, I'm guessing either the card did stutter and reviewer in a biased fashion "didn't see it", or the fact he uses FXAA instead of MSAA allowed it to duck just under the VRAM problem. Either way the actual game high and ultra presets use MSAA, so you will run into problems there. Crysis 2 similar, the hi res texture pack recommends a 2GB RAM card.

Look I know Nvidia cards are lacking in RAM (hell I wouldn't even touch a 580 due to only 1.5GB, arguably, unless it's 3GB), it's a major flaw of theirs so some people dont want to talk about it, but personally I would not buy a 1GB card AT ALL at this point, period. It just makes no sense going forward. A lot of people will say baloney like "well by the time card X needs 1+GB, the card will be too weak anyway" or "as long as you dont go over 1080p you dont need XXX memory". Nonsense, the game determines how much memory you need (and that is always going up) resolution is just a parameter. In five years 1GB wont be enough to run games at highest settings 720P forget 1080, get the picture? To the former, I have a 4890 1GB, at the time I bought it people were telling me 512MB was plenty (basically the equivalent of 1Gb vs 2GB debates today). Well I sure am glad I didn't listen because I'd have one crippled card today instead of a nice card that still runs most everything on high or above at 1080P. Hell I even can turn on mostly ultra settings on BF3 and get ~30 FPS in campaign. For example I just bought a 2GB 6870 after rebate, $170. Now I could have bought a 1GB 6870 for 140, but again, I'd rather pay a little more now to know down the road VRAM isn't going to be hovering over me. Or hell just to be able to max BF3 and Crysis 2 hi res without worries now. Frankly I would probably rather keep my 6870 by virtue of it's 2GB than trade it for a 560 448 right now (at least for games. I would gladly sell the ti 448 for more money LOL)!

And thats not even ever discussing 2560 res, which I think a 300 card like this one ought to be able to dabble in. There it will really be an issue. Buy a 245 6950 2GB you'll have much less problems at 2560 than you will with this 560 448 card. Of course there are those who say "well these cards wont run at 2560". Bollocks, I'm sure they'll run many games fine at that res. Except one will have severe VRAM problems...

So yeah, these are a couple of my problems with the review, it seemed to be pretty biased. Unless you plan on only having it a relatively short time, the 1280MB alone makes the 560 Ti a non starter imo, for a $300 graphics card you should be getting some future proofing. But you seem to be all Nvidia fanboys so I'm sure you'll all buy it, be my guest and have fun being VRAM limited going forward, enjoy.

Not only that but it's kind of odd how he didn't do a more apples to apples comparison with a 1GB 6950 as well. How would the price performance look there Mr Nvidia homer? Now I'm not being a hypocrite, I wouldn't buy a 1GB card of any stripe, but as long as we're looking at a ~1GB Nvidia card, comparing it to 1GB AMD seems only fair. Becuse you can get a 1Gb 6950 on newegg for $210 after rebate, almost a full $100 less than the Nvidia, and I guarantee performance would have been the same meager 7% less as the 2GB version (since he's not VRAM limited in any tests). And both cards would be relatively the same VRAM limited in the future compared to a more future proof 2GB card. I said relatively as I know the Nvidia has 280 more MB.

So yeah, running these same benches at 2560 as well, or benching a 1GB 6950, would really show how flawed your house of cards value proposition for the 560 448 is. Which is probably why you avoided doing either of those things...

The nice thing about this card is like most 560's it probably overclocks really well, but other cards overclock too if maybe not as well, maybe 75% as well, and the bottom line is the VRAM just isn't enough. The bottom line is a 2GB 6950 or even a 1GB for that matter (due to price) is a better buy than this card and you are misleading buyers.

So I believe this a poor, biased review and recommendation. As well as getting the pricing aspects wrong.

On the plus side I really like hardware canucks clean simple graphs and the fact you bench more recent games like Crysis 2 and BF3. Compare that to Anand who is still benching freaking Hawx (1)...

Last edited by shark974; December 10, 2011 at 09:30 AM.
Old December 10, 2011, 09:25 AM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

Yaaawn.

Fanboys don't seem to realize that the review was released more than a weeks ago.....before additional rebates were put in place for certain AMD cards.

And even with the rebates for AMD cards, I think most will agree with me that the 448 core card is STILL a better buy due to everything from driver support to overclockability.

/end response.