Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Video Cards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 21, 2011, 08:38 AM
Rookie

Default MSI 570 GTX Twin Frozr III or 580 GTX Twin Frozr II?

Hi guys,

I am building a new system and need help for the graphics card. I am very frustrated and don't want to make a mistake at this point. Planning to do SLI in the future also. My monitor is 24inch @ 1920 x 1200 resolution. I would like to play BF3 in ultra settings. I've got 2 questions in my mind:

1) 570 GTX has 1280 mb of vram. Would this be enough memory for ultra settings? If not, should I go with the Amd's 6000 series 2GB cards?
2) 570 or 580 gtx? Some people say go with 580, some say 580 is an overkill. Confused here a lot.

Thanks for the help in advance!
Old November 21, 2011, 08:50 AM
F@H

My System Specs

What are the rest of your system specifications? You could easily bottleneck either of the cards if you are running on an older system. That and your power supply may not be up to snuff, which could take your entire system out (if its a low quality power supply).
At that resolution vRAM isnt much of a concern for the most part, yes there is the odd game right not that uses quite a bit of it (cough bf3) but for the most part 1.2GB seems to be alright. If you were to go to a 580 you'd been gaining an extra ~300mb of vRAM.

Just to let you know, from my own experience with the 6970, they can be rather fickle running them in crossfire as not all games are properly optimized for them either due to the developer, or a lot of the time because AMD has rather crappy drivers for the 6xxx series.
Old November 21, 2011, 08:56 AM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arinoth View Post
What are the rest of your system specifications? You could easily bottleneck either of the cards if you are running on an older system. That and your power supply may not be up to snuff, which could take your entire system out (if its a low quality power supply).
At that resolution vRAM isnt much of a concern for the most part, yes there is the odd game right not that uses quite a bit of it (cough bf3) but for the most part 1.2GB seems to be alright. If you were to go to a 580 you'd been gaining an extra ~300mb of vRAM.

Just to let you know, from my own experience with the 6970, they can be rather fickle running them in crossfire as not all games are properly optimized for them either due to the developer, or a lot of the time because AMD has rather crappy drivers for the 6xxx series.
i5 2500k cpu, 1000w Silverstone PSU, 8GB of RAM, MSI Z68A-GD55 (G3) mobo.
Old November 21, 2011, 09:01 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Well your system certainly won't have any problems with any of the card solutions. Right now I'm running GTX 570 2.5GB cards in SLI in the system in the "my system spec" at 1920 x 1080 on ultra settings in BF3 with little to no issues. I also ran it on ultra with 2 6970s with no issues either (other then eyefinity/surround but we won't go there). Today I'll be getting my new monitor so I'll be able to see how the cards handle 2560 x 1400.

My personal recommendation would probably to either do the GTX 570s, or the "overkill" GTX 580s if you plan on keeping the cards for a while. I know AMD has a solid card in the 6970, the only issue I have with it is the poor driver and developer support compared to nVidia's more reliable driver and developer support.
Old November 21, 2011, 10:16 AM
Rookie

From my personal experience (having tried both) I feel that the GTX 570 is mostly superior to the HD 6970.

Also, if you are sure about going the multi card route, I would go Nvidia, because with AMD you will get sick of waiting for the proper drivers/apps to come out to get crossfire working properly. At least I know I did!

Kyle
Old November 21, 2011, 01:14 PM
Rookie

Thanks for the comments guys!!! I think I will stick with Nvidia and buy a 570 GTX Twin Frozr III OC 1258mb. But this VRAM scares me! I hope it will be sufficient for the upcoming titles in 2012!
Old November 21, 2011, 03:56 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

You could always pay the extra $$ to get a version with more vram
Old November 21, 2011, 04:53 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Well, to be honest, 2 cards with the proper drivers can get a nice little boost in performance, but at the same time, is also expecting alot if you are expecting that huge jump in performance from getting a second card added in.

I would personally go with a 570 with the extra memory, yes a 580 3gb card is the fastest single card you can currently get (at least until early in the new year) but it is quite costly, a 570 or 6970 overclocked are almost 580 performance levels and much gentler on the pocketbook.

I would do some reviews of some 570 with extra vs standard Vram, it may tell you a bit more, however, most of these card will run out of horsepower faster then they run out of Vram, that is untill you are pusing insane levels of AA/AF or using multiple card which will chew up more Vram, high res/AA-AF/Multi-card=need more Vram.

But considering I have at least 2 buddies running dual 580, 2 running single 580, and one running dual 590, for the singles they average 75 and highest 92fps BF3 ultra, the dual users average 86 max of 110-118 the dual 590 average 98 max of 125-138, so it obviously is up to you if its worthwhile, and just another FYI I have 2 buddies running dual GTX460 336 shader model cards, and they are getting very similar performance levels around the 85+ average FPS, sometimes its not about the "newest" but rather "the most value for the $" :)

I personally would wait a little bit though, new cards are literally just a little more to wait, and are sup-posed to be at least a good speed bump/power reduction, so the cards currently out there are going to start dropping in price very soon, it might be good to hold off
Old November 22, 2011, 12:33 AM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonstongue View Post
Well, to be honest, 2 cards with the proper drivers can get a nice little boost in performance, but at the same time, is also expecting alot if you are expecting that huge jump in performance from getting a second card added in.

I would personally go with a 570 with the extra memory, yes a 580 3gb card is the fastest single card you can currently get (at least until early in the new year) but it is quite costly, a 570 or 6970 overclocked are almost 580 performance levels and much gentler on the pocketbook.

I would do some reviews of some 570 with extra vs standard Vram, it may tell you a bit more, however, most of these card will run out of horsepower faster then they run out of Vram, that is untill you are pusing insane levels of AA/AF or using multiple card which will chew up more Vram, high res/AA-AF/Multi-card=need more Vram.

But considering I have at least 2 buddies running dual 580, 2 running single 580, and one running dual 590, for the singles they average 75 and highest 92fps BF3 ultra, the dual users average 86 max of 110-118 the dual 590 average 98 max of 125-138, so it obviously is up to you if its worthwhile, and just another FYI I have 2 buddies running dual GTX460 336 shader model cards, and they are getting very similar performance levels around the 85+ average FPS, sometimes its not about the "newest" but rather "the most value for the $" :)

I personally would wait a little bit though, new cards are literally just a little more to wait, and are sup-posed to be at least a good speed bump/power reduction, so the cards currently out there are going to start dropping in price very soon, it might be good to hold off
I wish I would go with the 570 extra vram (2.5GB version). Unfortunately, they are not sold in my country. My intentions are started to turn towards AMD's 2GB 6950 cards.
Old November 22, 2011, 04:13 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robomatt View Post
I wish I would go with the 570 extra vram (2.5GB version). Unfortunately, they are not sold in my country. My intentions are started to turn towards AMD's 2GB 6950 cards.
If you're talking about sheer performance, then the GTX580. For price/performance, the GTX570. I honestly don;t know the difference between Twin Frozr II and III, but the newer one seems better.