Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   Video Cards (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/video-cards/)
-   -   Upgrade from radeon 5970 (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/video-cards/48280-upgrade-radeon-5970-a.html)

Raansu November 11, 2011 09:40 PM

Upgrade from radeon 5970
 
Came across one of Linus youtube videos and it led me here. So heres my question.

I'm curious as to what you think a good upgrade would be from a Radeon 5970. Card has been giving me a lot of trouble with new games lately, and many of my friends say its because of the card being a dual gpu. Looking for a more professional opinion on finding a good single gpu card that will be a good upgrade from the 5970. I look at benchmarks and stuff, but they kind of make my head spin heh <_> Everything seems to always point at 5970 being a better card, but I seem to always get worse performance than my friends at similar settings on a lot of newer games.

Any advice is appreciated, thanks.

4DoorGTZ November 11, 2011 10:00 PM

Are you sure its the video card? Could be other areas of the system creating bottlenecks. Drivers could also be a concern depending on the games in question.

Personally I love the 5970, but then again I'm not into the newest FPS/War games that tax the systems to the max.

OmegaRED November 12, 2011 04:33 AM

I went from a 5970 to a 6990 and it's a huge upgrade and everything you wanted the 5970 to be (better crossfire scaling, double the memory). I expected tons of trouble with the drivers but so far nearly every single top game has been stellar it was never this easy with the 5970. Like you said, the 5970 still comes out near the top of most benchmarks but it doesn't feel that way because it chokes when it runs out of memory.

There currently is no single GPU card worth upgrading from a 5970, any of them would be a downgrade unless you intend to use SLI or Crossfire in the future. You could add a 5870 for Tri-Fire for a nice boost that would be really inexpensive but yield a big boost in performance.

Raansu November 12, 2011 06:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 4DoorGTZ (Post 567769)
Are you sure its the video card? Could be other areas of the system creating bottlenecks. Drivers could also be a concern depending on the games in question.

Personally I love the 5970, but then again I'm not into the newest FPS/War games that tax the systems to the max.

I loved my 5970 as well, and it hasn't necessarily been struggling with new games, but it has been having issues with random stuttering or just simply not working with them which I'm guessing because the card is technically crossfire so some games do not get to use all 2gb of the video memory. I have the most recent CAP and driver update for the card, and I understand some new games have issues, but I dunno, I just feel like my card should be outperforming cards like my friends GTX 570. Like he plays BF3 on ultra with MSAA x4. For me, I have to turn MSAA completely off, turn most my settings down to high with like one or two settings on ultra. (both running at same resolution 1920x1200)

It really isn't that big of a deal I guess, but it does bother me a little bit, as like I said, I feel like my card should be keeping up with a GTX 570, or doing better than it. And BF3 is just one example. Rage was completely unplayable, which I understand was partly due to amd not having proper drivers, but then Skyrim came out and I was getting super low fps on that game, like 11fps. Overall, the card generally works amazing, it just seems like lately its been having issues, and I was just curious of what I could possibly upgrade from it.

As for a bottleneck, I have a AMD Phenom II x6 1090T 3.2GHz and 16Gb of ram, so I dunno where it would bottleneck.

Raansu November 12, 2011 06:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OmegaRED (Post 567801)
I went from a 5970 to a 6990 and it's a huge upgrade and everything you wanted the 5970 to be (better crossfire scaling, double the memory). I expected tons of trouble with the drivers but so far nearly every single top game has been stellar it was never this easy with the 5970. Like you said, the 5970 still comes out near the top of most benchmarks but it doesn't feel that way because it chokes when it runs out of memory.

There currently is no single GPU card worth upgrading from a 5970, any of them would be a downgrade unless you intend to use SLI or Crossfire in the future. You could add a 5870 for Tri-Fire for a nice boost that would be really inexpensive but yield a big boost in performance.

See, that's what has been bothering me. It should technically be a beast, but it seems to have issues with actual gaming. That's why I'm looking around for opinions of people that have a bit more technical experience than me, as I only know like the bare bones of this stuff lol. It just seems to me like dual gpu's in a single card or otherwise seem to have issue's, so I want to find a card thats a single gpu card that will perform at or better than the 5970 on a performance level for actual games and not just in benchmarks, but people seem to always say the same thing with regards to the 5970 choking when it comes to gaming, but then anything else would be a downgrade, so it just always makes me scratch my head and I tell myself to just stick with my card till the next generation of gpu's come out, but patience has never been my strong point lol.

Edit:

I'm mostly looking at the radeon 6970 or the gtx 580, but leaning towards the 6970 as its cheaper. But again, I'm looking for some opinions before I consider buying a new card, since benchmarks don't always seem to mean good performance.

CloudFire November 12, 2011 11:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Raansu (Post 567822)
See, that's what has been bothering me. It should technically be a beast, but it seems to have issues with actual gaming. That's why I'm looking around for opinions of people that have a bit more technical experience than me, as I only know like the bare bones of this stuff lol. It just seems to me like dual gpu's in a single card or otherwise seem to have issue's, so I want to find a card thats a single gpu card that will perform at or better than the 5970 on a performance level for actual games and not just in benchmarks, but people seem to always say the same thing with regards to the 5970 choking when it comes to gaming, but then anything else would be a downgrade, so it just always makes me scratch my head and I tell myself to just stick with my card till the next generation of gpu's come out, but patience has never been my strong point lol.

Edit:

I'm mostly looking at the radeon 6970 or the gtx 580, but leaning towards the 6970 as its cheaper. But again, I'm looking for some opinions before I consider buying a new card, since benchmarks don't always seem to mean good performance.

From what I know of the 5970 and experiences my friend had with it; it seems to have a lot of microstuttering that is noticeable when gaming, along with all the issues everyone mentioned. I think you should wait it out a bit if you can for the 7xxx. From what I've read online, they should be coming out in Jan or sometimes in Q1 2012, and being 28nm, they are estimated to be roughly 40% more powerful than the 6xxx. Given the trend in ati's performance through the generations, the 7970 will be a single card solution and will be more powerful than a 5970. My friend sold his card on ebay for 500$, which was awhile back, but I'm sure you would be able to get quite a bit for it still, and use that money towards a new 7xxx. I also read that similar to the 6xxx, the high end 7xxx will be on a new architecture, while the mid-range will be a die shrink of the 6950/70 architecture. If this was a 6 or more months back, I feel a 6xxx option would be warranted, but since the 7xxx is so near, it's more worth waiting for imo.

OmegaRED November 12, 2011 12:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Raansu (Post 567822)

I'm mostly looking at the radeon 6970 or the gtx 580, but leaning towards the 6970 as its cheaper. But again, I'm looking for some opinions before I consider buying a new card, since benchmarks don't always seem to mean good performance.

You will truly be disappointed if you go for either of those unless you plan to add a 2nd later on. I was in the exact same position and I ended up deciding on the 590 or 6990 and I chose the one with the most memory so I wouldn't go through this a 2nd time. Either wait until next month to see if the AMD 7000 series comes out or add a 5850/5870 for Tri-Fire. Tri-Fire seems to overcome all problems especially microstutter and in this case it will be very cheap to do.

Raansu November 12, 2011 07:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OmegaRED (Post 567912)
You will truly be disappointed if you go for either of those unless you plan to add a 2nd later on. I was in the exact same position and I ended up deciding on the 590 or 6990 and I chose the one with the most memory so I wouldn't go through this a 2nd time. Either wait until next month to see if the AMD 7000 series comes out or add a 5850/5870 for Tri-Fire. Tri-Fire seems to overcome all problems especially microstutter and in this case it will be very cheap to do.

I want to avoid the 590 and 6990 because they are, from what I understand, dual gpu chips as well, which is what I don't want(which is why I was looking at the 580 and 6970). I guess I should wait for the new gen of video cards, but I'm just getting frustrated with my current card right now.

zsamz_ November 12, 2011 08:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Raansu (Post 568041)
I want to avoid the 590 and 6990 because they are, from what I understand, dual gpu chips as well, which is what I don't want(which is why I was looking at the 580 and 6970). I guess I should wait for the new gen of video cards, but I'm just getting frustrated with my current card right now.


either get a 6990 or wait for next gen
personaly i'd wait on next gen

getting 1 6970 makes no sense

4DoorGTZ November 12, 2011 09:08 PM

I'd almost be willing to trade ya a couple unlocked 6950's (same shaders as a 6970, and OC higher then what a stock 6970 runs at) for that 5970.... just putting it out there


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 04:04 PM.