Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Video Cards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 8, 2011, 03:41 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Default 1 580 vs 2 570s vs 2 580s vs 3 570s as well as nVidia Surround vs 1 Monitor Gaming

Alright, this is going to be a thread discussing about several things, with the hope I'll be able to get some feedback and point me towards the correct direction.

I rather enjoy being able to game with three monitors, the games that support it and that it works in look absolutely amazing. The problem is quite a few games that I like to play past and present do not support three monitor gaming, or if they do they are broken and require third party fixes or cannot be fixed at all. The latest in the line would be BF3s little fun where it doesn't display friendly (or enemy info in normal) on the screen above their heads so you have ABSOLUTELY no idea who is on your team and who isn't. Doesn't seem there is a fix in the work for eyefinity or surround.

If I were to stay with nVidia Surround (sorry AMD you had your chance but I'm done with you) I was wondering what would be the best route to go. I have several options on the tables. One option would be running 2 GTX 580s (1.5GB), the second one would be 2 GTX 570s (2.5GB), with the last being 3 GTX 570s (2.5GB) and upgrading my motherboard to tri-sli. I know that 2 580s beat 2 570s, however 3 570s for about 100$ more (used prices) would beat out 2 580s.

If I were to switch to 1 Monitor gaming instead of three I was planning on keeping one of my three 21.5" monitors as a secondary monitor (as I need two monitors for programming/school work/etc). I would have 2 options on the table for this. One would be using my 32" 1080p (60Hz) LCD TV as my primary screen again (as I had been before I switched to 3 monitor gaming). The second option would be something larger then 21.5" but smaller then the 32" however I would be getting a higher resolution then the TV.

If I were to go to 1 Monitor gaming, would a GTX 580 suffice for my needs, or would potentially the 2 GTX 570 (2.5GB) previously mentioned be a better bet for the could extra.

Thanks for taking the time to read and I look forward what people have to say from their own experience. REMEMBER, no suggestions of AMD cards, I came from 2 6970s (and did 2 6870s) in eyefinity and the driver support was just not there and a hassle some of the time.

I also play on going to kepler whenever the high end range is released, whenever that may be (2-3+ months off)

Last edited by Arinoth; November 8, 2011 at 04:15 PM.
Old November 8, 2011, 03:50 PM
Hall Of Fame

I think with all the issues surrounding (ha) multi-monitor gaming, I'd go for a single monitor, picking up a large, high res screen if I had the cash (like 27 - 30", 2560x) and be done with it. Drive that with twin 570s..

That being said I don't know what the high res market is like, atm.
Old November 8, 2011, 03:51 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

As I said in irc, IMO you need to figure out what res first then the card/s.

I wouldnt go back to TV, after going to a u2711 HDTV's blow. Fine for vids and movies but gaming is not even close compared to my monitor.

I would go with a higher end Monitor 27-30" (27 is the sweet spot IMO but up to you)
Keep one of the ones you have for temps,ect

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3.0charlie View Post
My knuckles are bleeding from fishing through walls a new CAT6 network cable... I found fresh, untapped electrical outlets...
"It's all in the Reflexes"-Jack Burton
Old November 8, 2011, 03:58 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

if I were you, I'd go for a nice 30in monitor and with that I guess that the minimum would be 2 GTX 570. As others have said, forget about crap resolution on a big tv, get good resolution on a bit smaller than tv. Sure it will cost a lot more, but I also think that the result will be much better. If I had the guts to spend some real money on myself, I'd be on a 30in monitor myself.

Eventually I guess your 21.5in monitor would also need some update.
Old November 8, 2011, 04:00 PM
F@H

My System Specs

The only thing I may feel is the is the 27" may be too big and well looking at the U2711 rather rather expensive too. I was potentially thinking between 24-27" for a monitor, only proposing the TV as well I already have it.
Old November 8, 2011, 04:19 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arinoth View Post
The only thing I may feel is the is the 27" may be too big and well looking at the U2711 rather rather expensive too. I was potentially thinking between 24-27" for a monitor, only proposing the TV as well I already have it.
Well, going from 19" CRT to 24" LCD was really nice and all, I thought it would be huge, well it was... but soon I realized that going bigger wasn't as overkill as I thought it to be. Mind you, I still love my 24" monitor, but I can only imagine how great gaming would be on an even bigger monitor.

In your case tho, going from 3 x 21.5 to mainly 1 x 24" might be a little dissapointing, which is why I thought going for bigger would be a better idea. The other reason I suggested that is simply because of the budget you were talking about GPU wise, it led me to believe you had deep pockets.
Old November 8, 2011, 05:26 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

I know its on the pricey side Arinoth, but I was in your same dilemma a few yrs ago.....then decided I hated being in a position where I was always wondering if "this or that" would be better (for gaming)....so, as others have suggested:
1. Purchase 1 damn good monitor, as in U2711 2560 x 1440 ($750 on sale) or U3011 2560 x 1600 ($1100 on sale).....then 2 kick ass GPU's to power through the newest games with everything cranked..
2. 2 x GTX 580's SLi

I know, expensive, but once you got em, you'll never look back, gaming experience is kick ass and even if you upgrade your Mobo / CPU in the future, you'll still have these 3 components. I've had my 580's for a year now this month and my monitor the same....the combo still kicks some serious arse....

My only regret....not spending the additional $400 and going straight to the 30" U3011 !!!!

Old November 8, 2011, 05:43 PM
F@H

My System Specs

I'd say go U2711 + SLI GTX 570.

Seeing as I have a U2711, it's an amazing monitor and basically fills your immediate FOV at about arms length away. And since I have a single GTX580, I can tell you that it's not quite enough power to run BF3 fully maxed out, so I think SLI GTX 570s would solve that.
Old November 8, 2011, 05:47 PM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

Personally, I'd go for either a u27 OR a Sammy 27850 27" with a pair of 580s (that way you can add in a third later on when the 6 series drops....that should cover off your needs for a nice lil while)...this is what I plan on doing. In the very near future as 24" monitors blow in comparison to a nice 27 incher.

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old November 8, 2011, 05:49 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I know right now I have the 580 SLI setup and wouldn't trade it for anything. The one place I am lacking in is the monitor. I have the gorgous u2711 at work and because of that, I just won't accept anything less than 2560x1440 for a monitor. As for the 27" vs 30" debate, you have to think about if that extra 160 pixels and little bit of screen is worth $400 more.

As for cards, I think your best bet if you are thinking about getting the new Nvidia's when they hit then go with the cheaper option, unless you think you will have this for more than say 6 months. If you will keep the cards that long then get the 2 580's. Just can't go wrong with them, plus then either choice or monitors they will be able to drive them.