Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Video Cards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 8, 2011, 08:04 AM
Rookie

Default ASUS ENGTX580 DCII vs EVGA EVGA GeForce GTX 580 DS Superclocked

Im trying to make my mind up on these two cards, never dealt with asus before so Im not sure how there support or quality is, Im also trying to to find out which card would run the coolest all things being equal, I know Im being vague but any advice or comments at all guys,

Ian
Old November 8, 2011, 08:25 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Well despite the look of the DS it actually takes up 3 slots because of the curve in the cooler, and it has a lot of bad reviews with fan noise and other issues so I would personally get the DCII
Old November 8, 2011, 09:09 AM
MVP

I have a Superclocked EVGA 580, but not the DS/dual fan model. Bought it about 45 days ago, I went with EVGA primarily due to there customer service reputation, which is about the best there is.
EVGA GTX 580 SSC
Caviar Black 1TB x2 RAID0
Corsair Gold 850W
Corsair H80
Corsair 600T Graphite
Old November 8, 2011, 09:21 AM
Rookie

Thanks for the input guys, I have always dealt with evga, there customer service is the best, I have heard somethings about the fan noise on the ds but the deal seems to sweet to give up, $489, $10 rebate and free shipping.
Old November 8, 2011, 09:45 AM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

If about fan noise we're speaking, that of the Asus isn't that good at all you can be sure.
Old November 8, 2011, 11:51 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT7R View Post
If about fan noise we're speaking, that of the Asus isn't that good at all you can be sure.
Not regular fan noise though, people are complaining of whining a rattling, typical stuff of defective fans. Also a lot of people returning them after a month.

They are getting good customer service but it a pain in the ass still. A customer who has to call/e-mail customer service is still a pissed off customer no matterhow good the service is.

Newegg.ca - EVGA DS Superclocked 015-P3-1587-AR GeForce GTX 580 (Fermi) 1536MB 384-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card

Peoples RMA'd cards are even crap.
Old November 8, 2011, 12:01 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJThomp View Post
Not regular fan noise though, people are complaining of whining a rattling, typical stuff of defective fans. Also a lot of people returning them after a month.

They are getting good customer service but it a pain in the ass still. A customer who has to call/e-mail customer service is still a pissed off customer no matterhow good the service is.

Newegg.ca - EVGA DS Superclocked 015-P3-1587-AR GeForce GTX 580 (Fermi) 1536MB 384-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card

Peoples RMA'd cards are even crap.
Well for me it was just regular fan noise. That huge cooler is crap and you need to speed up the fans to unbearable speeds in order to keep the card reasonably cool.
Old November 8, 2011, 12:09 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT7R View Post
Yup The DCII's have cooler noise also, I fixed mine by slightly bending the shroud, since it hits the cooler fins and causes rattle.
I know Arinoth had the same issuse with his DCII's also.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3.0charlie View Post
My knuckles are bleeding from fishing through walls a new CAT6 network cable... I found fresh, untapped electrical outlets...
"It's all in the Reflexes"-Jack Burton
Old November 8, 2011, 12:44 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supergrover View Post
Yup The DCII's have cooler noise also, I fixed mine by slightly bending the shroud, since it hits the cooler fins and causes rattle.
I know Arinoth had the same issuse with his DCII's also.
I have actually heard a lot of complaints on all of these multi fan aftermarket setups (MSI, GIGA, EVGA, ASUS) etc etc...
Makes me think that my Reference coolers are the best options.

ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com
Old November 8, 2011, 12:54 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soultribunal View Post
I have actually heard a lot of complaints on all of these multi fan aftermarket setups (MSI, GIGA, EVGA, ASUS) etc etc...
Makes me think that my Reference coolers are the best options.

ST
Never encountered any problems with any MSI Twin Frozrs or Giga Windforces, but cannot say about EVGA, haven't worked with their non reference models.