LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 7, 2011, 06:39 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remf View Post
Ok!
When you say it's not that well regarded, is it about NOT having the 700W that it lists? Is it that they fail alot? Bad components?
Unfortunatly(or fortunatly) people tend to have a pretty good memory regarding failing PSUs. I think(really not sure) that OCZ has gotten better recently, but since they had some pretty big problems for a while people simply stopped buying them. I would say they are average, but definitively not something I would trust to be powering 2 GPUs.
Old November 7, 2011, 06:40 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Ok!
When you say it's not that well regarded, is it about NOT having the 700W that it lists? Is it that they fail alot? Bad components?

Cause most reviews I have read gave it a more than fair rating.
Its internals weren't the greatest,

There are much better designs out there that are less likely to kill components over time.

The new ZS series actually have good reviews from OCZ, but I would feel safer suggesting something from Antec, Silverstone, Superflower, Corsair over an OCZ unit.

-ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com
Old November 7, 2011, 07:04 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilauea View Post
If the card is registered, XFX offers lifetime warranty, unless I am mistaken. I'd definitively check it out.
Actually I'm pretty sure that XFX only offers 2 year warranty in Europe. I don't think any company in Europe offers lifetime warranty. In fact if google is translating some swedish sites correctly most graphic cards, xfx included, say Fabriksgaranti (mån): 24 - warranty (months): 24

Also, I've heard xfx doesn't deal with the consumers in Europe for warranty. The consumer has to go through their place of purchase, then the place of purchase deals with xfx.

This is all stuff you might want to check on before buying a graphics card. I know I like good quality but also good warranty srvice, so I go for either Asus or XFX. But it sounds like you might have to make sure you are buying from a store/site with a good reputation.
Old November 7, 2011, 07:07 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soultribunal View Post
Its internals weren't the greatest,

There are much better designs out there that are less likely to kill components over time.

The new ZS series actually have good reviews from OCZ, but I would feel safer suggesting something from Antec, Silverstone, Superflower, Corsair over an OCZ unit.

-ST
Antec High Current Gamer 620W, would that work for single GPU?
Better than OCZ?

Would be great with some advice on specific PSU :)

EDIT: Would you take the Corsair TX 650W V2 over the OCZ?
It's the same price but NOT modular.

Will the Corsair TX 750W V2 run CF 6950?

Corsair TX 750W V2 - 895 SEK
Corsair TX 650W V2 - 735 SEK
Antec HighCurrent Gamer HCG 620-EC 620W - 595 SEK
OCZ Technology 700W ModXStream Pro - 669 SEK

(Prices in swedish kronor for comparison)

Last edited by Remf; November 7, 2011 at 07:15 PM.
Old November 7, 2011, 07:15 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Antec High Current Gamer 620W, would that work for single GPU?
Better than OCZ?

Would be great with some advice on specific PSU :)

EDIT: Would you take the Corsair TX 650W V2 over the OCZ?
It's the same price but NOT modular.
The great thing about the companies listed, is that almost everything they offer is better than the OCZ.

Specifically,

The TX or HX or AX Series (depending on budget) by Corsair are perfect picks, no matter which one you can afford.

Antecs High Current Gamers are very good too.

Silverstone: Strider Plus are good models

Superflower: Golden Green

NZXT: HALE90

All of those I would choose over OCZ.

-ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

Old November 8, 2011, 02:37 PM
Rookie

Then I will ask, what power do i need for a 6950+i5 750 setup?
Is 500 W enough or on the low end?
Old November 8, 2011, 02:49 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Then I will ask, what power do i need for a 6950+i5 750 setup?
Is 500 W enough or on the low end?
A quality 500W would be perfect.

ST

Old November 8, 2011, 02:55 PM
Rookie

Quote:
A quality 500W would be perfect.

ST
The problem today is I have shitty 500W, don't want it to take the GPU down with it if it decides to give up (do you think it might have to do anything with my GTX 260 having problems with SC2?).
Don't know if I should buy a super-PSU and never have to buy one again.

Cause a Corsair TX 650W V2 won't be able to run 6950 CF?
Old November 8, 2011, 03:03 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
The problem today is I have shitty 500W, don't want it to take the GPU down with it if it decides to give up (do you think it might have to do anything with my GTX 260 having problems with SC2?).
Don't know if I should buy a super-PSU and never have to buy one again.

Cause a Corsair TX 650W V2 won't be able to run 6950 CF?
A bad PSU that has fed low quality power to parts over time is one possible cause. No real way to know the culprit but bad power is high up there on the list. Which is why I don't take a chance and buy good units.

If you are going to do 6950 CF get a HX750. That will handle it.

You will always have to Buy PSU's (technology changes) just maybe not as often as other components.

-ST

Old November 8, 2011, 03:20 PM
Rookie

Quote:
A bad PSU that has fed low quality power to parts over time is one possible cause. No real way to know the culprit but bad power is high up there on the list. Which is why I don't take a chance and buy good units.

If you are going to do 6950 CF get a HX750. That will handle it.

You will always have to Buy PSU's (technology changes) just maybe not as often as other components.

-ST
I understand a HX750 won't last forever, but would 5-6 years+ be unrealistic?