Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Video Cards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 2, 2011, 06:14 AM
Rookie

Default GTX 570 and HD 5750

So I'm getting a GTX 570 soon and was wondering if i could dual it with the card i have already which is an HD 5750.
Old November 2, 2011, 06:20 AM
F@H

My System Specs

No you can't. Not only can you not run sli/xfire with the two different major brands, you cannot sli or xfire outside of their own generation or sub generation. The only thing you could do is run the GTX 570 as a very expensive physx card for the 5750, which would be absolutely pointless.
Old November 2, 2011, 07:12 AM
Rookie

A GTX 570 is 10X the card the 5750 is. It looks lie you need to read alot more about the hardware you spend your money on. It looks to me you upgraded from a XBox.
Old November 2, 2011, 07:38 AM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeadSled View Post
A GTX 570 is 10X the card the 5750 is. It looks lie you need to read alot more about the hardware you spend your money on. It looks to me you upgraded from a XBox.
As I'm only a student i don't have a lot of money to buy stuff. when i first build my computer 2-3 year ago that the card i got so excuse me if i can't upgrade my card every year. so i was just simply wondering if i could combine the two cards there is no need for comments like that and yes i know i don't know alot about computers and i didn't build my computer i got a friend to pick the best parts for what money i had at the time.
Old November 2, 2011, 08:44 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

As others have said, you can't combine both cards. The 5750 is a decent card, but its clearly a card which is limited. The 570 on the other hand is among the top that you can get at the moment. And while it is a very good card, I wouldn't recommend it in your situation. You would most likely be better served with a GTX 560 ti or a GTX 560 which will cost a decent bit less and perform much better than what you currently have.

However, before going and suggesting anything, it would be wiser to go and ask about what you have. If you don't know, you can always ask your friend.
What Power supply do you have ?
What CPU do you have ?
How much memory(RAM) do you have ?
What case do you have ?
What games do you play ? at which resolution ?
What is your budget ? (my understanding is that you have quite a limited one, so you want a good price/performance compromise)

With at least those informations, the suggestions you will get will be much better aimed at your desires.
Old November 2, 2011, 08:57 AM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilauea View Post
As others have said, you can't combine both cards. The 5750 is a decent card, but its clearly a card which is limited. The 570 on the other hand is among the top that you can get at the moment. And while it is a very good card, I wouldn't recommend it in your situation. You would most likely be better served with a GTX 560 ti or a GTX 560 which will cost a decent bit less and perform much better than what you currently have.

However, before going and suggesting anything, it would be wiser to go and ask about what you have. If you don't know, you can always ask your friend.
What Power supply do you have ?
What CPU do you have ?
How much memory(RAM) do you have ?
What case do you have ?
What games do you play ? at which resolution ?
What is your budget ? (my understanding is that you have quite a limited one, so you want a good price/performance compromise)

With at least those informations, the suggestions you will get will be much better aimed at your desires.

power suppler:Apevia Warlock Power 900W
cpu:Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 920 @ 2.67GHz (8 CPUs), ~2.8GHz
memory: 8Gb
case:Lian-Li LanCool PC-K62
games: i play a lot of different games but im going to buy bf3 which if why want to upgrade also for skyrim
Budget: is around $450AUSD
Old November 2, 2011, 09:21 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Aside from the PSU, you have a pretty good system. I'd get one that won't potentially damage your hardware before investing in new hardware though. Then I'd look at something like a used 570/580/6950, new cards are just aroudn the corner.

Those Apevia's are notorious for sparking and smoking. You definitely won't need a 900W unit either, a quality 500W unit will do.

Since you're not in Canada it would help to know what options you have down under so we can give suggestions.
Old November 2, 2011, 09:22 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJewBucca View Post
power suppler:Apevia Warlock Power 900W
cpu:Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 920 @ 2.67GHz (8 CPUs), ~2.8GHz
memory: 8Gb
case:Lian-Li LanCool PC-K62
games: i play a lot of different games but im going to buy bf3 which if why want to upgrade also for skyrim
Budget: is around $450AUSD
For the PSU (power supply), I don't know much about that brand, so I will place it into the category of the try to change for a known good brand (aka Antec, Corsair, Seasonic), unless someone confirms its trustworthy.

The rest of your computer is quite decent... actually overkill for a 5750. Going for a 570 is a good choice to be able to play BF3 at high settings at 1080p, a GTX 560 ti would possibly be enough for that too, but that would be the minimum without lowering details. On AMD's side of things, you'd want a 5870 or a 6950 at least for high details 1080p. If you play at a resolution lower than 1080p, nvidia handles ultra quality better than AMD, but you'd want to stick with the GTX 570.
Old November 2, 2011, 09:36 AM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilya View Post
Aside from the PSU, you have a pretty good system. I'd get one that won't potentially damage your hardware before investing in new hardware though. Then I'd look at something like a used 570/580/6950, new cards are just aroudn the corner.

Those Apevia's are notorious for sparking and smoking. You definitely won't need a 900W unit either, a quality 500W unit will do.

Since you're not in Canada it would help to know what options you have down under so we can give suggestions.
i guess i have the same options as you would in Canada but just different pricing
Old November 2, 2011, 09:38 AM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilya View Post

ok good to know i got it free when i bought my case so thats really the only reason i have it.