Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Video Cards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old October 28, 2011, 09:30 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Default Gigabyte GTX 560Ti

I am more and more considering upgrading my HD 4890 to a GTX 560Ti PMed to 234.79. Minus the cost of Batman: Arkham City which I will buy either way, the MIR and the price I can sell my 4890, comes down to something in the 100$ range or less.

I know I could wait for the 600 or 7000 series or better even, if I could push my 4890 to fail. I kind of wish to be able to have a little bit of folding power (by the looks of it, the card alone would have 3 times my current folding power). For the most part, I do not need a new card, my current one does all I need it to, except for one game which shouldn't be a problem (Heroes of Might and Magic VI), but it could very well be something drivers/patches can fix.

So, my question here is whether or not you think I should go for it ?
Or should I go for something else ?
I have read some reviews of both the GTX 560 Ti and mostly customer reviews of this particular model and I must say I have been surprised to see how many problems there was with the card. (I do realize that its very likely just a fraction of all the satisfied buyers, but still).

Edit: The games I should be playing(for the next year or more) are: Batman Arkham City, SC2, HoMM6, Diablo 3
Old October 28, 2011, 09:36 AM
Allstar

My 560 has been solid, mind you it's the low end PNY model. I'm sure I haven't seen its full potential either due to my old cpu bottlencking. You may want to keep the old ATI around while it still works in case you need a backup someday. I haven't had any issues, but when I thought I did, I wished I kept my 8800 to have as backup.
Old October 28, 2011, 09:39 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Well you could be waiting until 2012, do you want to wait that long? If the answer is no the 560 Ti are an absolute beast of a card, and depending on which variant you get can overclock like the wind as well. I'd highly recommend it as this gens card if you'll go that route.

Clicking the link, you've gotten one of the three cards who are probably the best at overclocking, you should be able to rock 1GHz on the core.
Old October 28, 2011, 09:45 AM
F@H

My System Specs

I would do it, you are probably looking at over half a year still till 28nm cards are on the table or in the channel. The 560TI's are well worth the investment. As for the problems with cards, that happens to all cards from all makes and models. For the most part I have heard everything to be solid with them.

Good luck,

ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com
Old October 28, 2011, 10:24 AM
Hall Of Fame

going to sell that 4890? :P
Old October 28, 2011, 12:25 PM
Top Prospect
F@H

My System Specs

I'd upgrade. Remember, people are more often than not report problems they have with a product than with one that isn't.

I'm in the same boat as you. I keep flipping between a 6950 and a 560ti. I am leaning more towards the 6950 with the plans of CFing it eventually. My board only supports CF and not SLI so if I ever want to do 2 card option gonna be AMD for this board.
Old October 28, 2011, 12:25 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarkStarr View Post
going to sell that 4890? :P
If I go with it, yes I will.

With all that's been said here, I'd say that I am leaning towards a purchase... that's not too hard considering that either way I want to make the purchase, but knowing myself, I tend to always delay whatever is for myself.
Old October 28, 2011, 12:29 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by BVickery View Post
I'd upgrade. Remember, people are more often than not report problems they have with a product than with one that isn't.

I'm in the same boat as you. I keep flipping between a 6950 and a 560ti. I am leaning more towards the 6950 with the plans of CFing it eventually. My board only supports CF and not SLI so if I ever want to do 2 card option gonna be AMD for this board.
You will not like 6950CF.

I sold both my XFX cards after MONTHS of issues with drivers and Game issues.

nVidia has really won the driver battle here, there's are always more mature and less likely to cause issues.

Last AMD Catalyst update broke my friends X-fire for the 3rd consecutive time on his 6850's.

He recently got a 580, and hasn't looked back.

ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

Old October 28, 2011, 12:35 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

One thing about this card... well 2 things.

My card doesn't do it and I am thankful for it, but my cousin's EVGA GTX 460 has coil whine and it bugs the hell out of me. Apparently MSI is using military grade stuff to prevent that. Does it work ? How's this Gigabyte card regarding that ?
Old October 28, 2011, 12:55 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilauea View Post
One thing about this card... well 2 things.

My card doesn't do it and I am thankful for it, but my cousin's EVGA GTX 460 has coil whine and it bugs the hell out of me. Apparently MSI is using military grade stuff to prevent that. Does it work ? How's this Gigabyte card regarding that ?
My 460's never whined, though I haven't folded on them and thats about the only thing I know that would cause it.

Secondly, if you want get the ASUS Direct CU instead, they use even better stuff than GB/MSI and to boot if something does go south with your VC the RMA depot is in Toronto :)

As for whine I have not heard of one 560 yet that whines.

ST