Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Video Cards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old October 27, 2011, 06:48 AM
Rookie

Default Video cards taking up 3 PCI slots

Getting 2 ASUS Radeon HD6950 DirectCU II in crossfire rig and I'm curious bout the air flow. Would 2 of these in crossfire block off one air intake?
Usual crossfire/SLI setups would be on dual slot cards, and would leave (on a typical ATX motherboard) a slot gap that the card can take in air.
Old October 27, 2011, 07:02 AM
Fallen Folder
F@H

My System Specs

The top card always seems to run hotter in dual card setups, even if the cards have single slot coolers, aftermarket coolers or a side fan blowing in right between them, at least that's been my experience on 4 different SLi/CF setups.
Old October 27, 2011, 07:17 AM
Rookie

So its not too little clearance that it would start making trouble? Thanks man.
Old October 27, 2011, 07:23 AM
F@H

My System Specs

I think you should be okay, the cards can manage that tightly together.

They will have some restriction but given the sheer size of them I doubt you have anything to worry about.

ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com
Old October 27, 2011, 10:04 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I run 2x6970 dcII right up again each other ( P67 Sabertooth) and yes they will get hotter than if you have clearance, how much hotter will depend on your cases airflo. Adding a sidefan to the case should help, no window in mine so.....no sidefan but I have heard of others where this helped.
I see about a 6-7c increase over other that have at least 1 space open it seams, that said my temps are still okay, topcard ( no sense giving you bottom card numbers since they are lower) idle35-38 load 78-82c

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3.0charlie View Post
My knuckles are bleeding from fishing through walls a new CAT6 network cable... I found fresh, untapped electrical outlets...
"It's all in the Reflexes"-Jack Burton
Old October 31, 2011, 06:31 AM
Rookie
F@H

My System Specs

Currently running 2 ENGTX 570 DCII in a HAF 922 with 200mm side fan, front and top. If you have V-sync enabled and set your fan profiles right you should never exceed 60C on the top card. BF3 and all my other games do not exceed 60c on top card, bottom card sits at 48c on load. Idle is 32c top, 29c bottom. If I do not enable V-sync and I have high FPS numbers I see an increase of about 10c, never going above 75c.

Just make sure your fan profiles are set up to really kick in and it will run like a charm.

Old October 31, 2011, 06:41 AM
Rookie

Thanks man. Sound a big issue on those dual fans? Guessing they wouldn't need to push too much coz of that beastly heat sink.
Old October 31, 2011, 07:57 AM
Rookie
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kegwash View Post
Thanks man. Sound a big issue on those dual fans? Guessing they wouldn't need to push too much coz of that beastly heat sink.
I have them at Idle 40% which is ok. When they kick in to 100% you can definitely notice them. I have headphones which block out all exterior noise so I canít say it affects me. Never really worried about how loud as long as itís cool. .To answer your question though in short, under load...they are loud yes...

Tags
crossfire , directcu ii