Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Video Cards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old October 26, 2011, 07:37 PM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

Default The Effect of GPU Memory on Surround & Stereo 3D Performance (Comment Thread)

While many modern games don't allow high end graphics cards to really stretch their legs, multi monitor configurations and stereoscopic 3D tend to push even bleeding edge GPUs to their breaking point. Many have argued that a higher amount of memory bandwidth could unlock additional performance in these situations and we're about to put this claim to the test. In this article, we take a look at GTX 580 and GTX 570 cards with custom memory configurations to see if they can provide higher framerates in some of the most demanding setups available.

Read more here: The Effect of GPU Memory on Surround & Stereo 3D Performance
Old October 26, 2011, 08:29 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I'd like to see the results for BF3, in surround I'm sure the 3GB 580's will shine.
Old October 26, 2011, 09:26 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by supaflyx3 View Post
I'd like to see the results for BF3, in surround I'm sure the 3GB 580's will shine.
Agreed I would like to see some BF3 numbers just for S**ts and giggles. One question why do you never include peak vram usage for a benchmark? Especially with something like this that is a xgb vrs xgb article.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3.0charlie View Post
My knuckles are bleeding from fishing through walls a new CAT6 network cable... I found fresh, untapped electrical outlets...
"It's all in the Reflexes"-Jack Burton
Old October 27, 2011, 12:49 AM
Top Prospect

So basically since you turn AA off with 3d it's actually more worthwhile if you are going straight up multidisplay because you'll still be able to enable AA which is when the memory is really pushed.

I disagree with having tessellation on for a test like this, I thought the whole point of tessellation was to give more advanced geometry without using more memory. it's just going to cause a bottleneck on the GPU core before you can see the difference. I suspect there would be a more distinct difference in the 3d results with it off. specifically the Metro 2033 result is suspect, metro has terribly inefficient tessellation implementation and I doubt anybody would leave it on for the massive drop in frame rates incurred.

BF3 deferred AA crushes my 1GB GTX 460s I bet we'd see similar results where with 3d the increased memory doesn't make a difference but with multidisplay and AA 4x the 3GB show a noticeable leg up.
Old October 27, 2011, 05:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supergrover View Post
One question why do you never include peak vram usage for a benchmark?
I'll add it tonight if I have the time.

However, I was under the impression that the results spoke for themselves regarding approximately how much memory is needed.
Old October 27, 2011, 05:57 AM
F@H

My System Specs

I've read a few different articles, stating that Uber sampling in Witcher 2 usually makes the image look not as crisp as it would on just ultra. It has something to do with the way it over samples and causes things that would normally be crisp and definite to look a bit more blurry.

It's a great review, wish this was out back when I made my own 2 card upgrade, hopefully others will be able to find this helpful. You know now that you started this there are some (like myself) who will hope to see this done (hopefully early on) when kepler and (maybe) HD7000 come out with their high end cards (provided you get enough from manufacturers to do it)
Old October 27, 2011, 06:26 AM

This article took me months of testing and retesting, especially since many of the games had new patches rolled out which vastly improved performance.

In the case of The Witcher 2, it was the opposite though. V2.0 has destroyed stereo 3D performance in some scenes.
Old October 27, 2011, 09:55 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKYMTL View Post
I'll add it tonight if I have the time.

However, I was under the impression that the results spoke for themselves regarding approximately how much memory is needed.
Thanks for adding it Sky.
Though I was meaning in a general term, we never seam to be given this number in reviews/benchmarks and it would be nice to know when x amount of ram starts to bottleneck or not a card. For the longest time it seams we were not pushing the vram levels in gfc card but nowadays it seams this is becoming more of a factor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3.0charlie View Post
My knuckles are bleeding from fishing through walls a new CAT6 network cable... I found fresh, untapped electrical outlets...
"It's all in the Reflexes"-Jack Burton
Old October 27, 2011, 06:33 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supergrover View Post
For the longest time it seams we were not pushing the vram levels in gfc card but nowadays it seams this is becoming more of a factor.
Tis true. Playing BF3 at 2560X1440 with 570 SLI I am forced to turn down settings bc the frame buffer appears to be saturated... or at least that is what I think is happening. Feels like I need more vram but I am not sure.
Old October 27, 2011, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phill View Post
Tis true. Playing BF3 at 2560X1440 with 570 SLI I am forced to turn down settings bc the frame buffer appears to be saturated... or at least that is what I think is happening. Feels like I need more vram but I am not sure.
I can confirm. BF3 @ 2560 x 1600 on Rock and a Hard place (the most demanding mission I found) pegged at 1.28GB without MSAA enabled.