Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Video Cards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old October 24, 2011, 04:37 AM
Rookie

Default GTX560 Ti on my old PC. Questions

Ok so first of all I just want to say that my knowledge about computers is not very good so I'm a newbie when it comes to fitting new parts into my PC.

Now, lets get to the point.

I bought "Asus nVIDIA 3D GeForce GTX 560 TI DirectCu II TOP Graphics Card (1GB)" and I want to put it in my current PC which is quite old.

My PC:
Intel Core 2 Quad Q8300 2.5Ghz
4GB RAM
My current video card is GeForce GT240.
I have
"OCZ 600W StealthXStream 2 ATX Power Supply Unit".

Now my question is....Will my new video card (GTX 560Ti) work with my current PC?

I will be upgarding parts later on but I just want to know if it will work for now and if it will give me any performace boost compared to my old card (GT 240).

Also without buying whole new PC which parts should I upgrade so I can run latest games?
I know I'll probably have to get new processor, motherboard and I'll upgrade my RAM.
Is there anything else that I need to upgrade so that all the parts will work together nicely?

Oh and which motherboard, processor and RAM will be the best to buy for me?

I know there's a lot of questions but I really need your help guys!

Thanks
Old October 24, 2011, 05:08 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Assuming your motherboard has an available PCI-E slot (which it should since you had a GT 240 in there before) and there's room next to it in your case, everything should be fine. Your PSU should be more than good enough have the right connectors for the card as well. (although you won't find much love for OCZ units around here)

You don't necessarily need a new processor, despite being one of the slower quad cores the Q8300 shouldn't be a major bottleneck for a 560Ti. (though it will be holding back the graphics card to a certain measurable extent) If you have a decent motherboard, I would just overclock your processor.
Old October 24, 2011, 05:15 AM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilya View Post
Assuming your motherboard has an available PCI-E slot (which it should since you had a GT 240 in there before) and there's room next to it in your case, everything should be fine. Your PSU should be more than good enough have the right connectors for the card as well. (although you won't find much love for OCZ units around here)

You don't necessarily need a new processor, despite being one of the slower quad cores the Q8300 shouldn't be a major bottleneck for a 560Ti. (though it will be holding back the graphics card to a certain measurable extent) If you have a decent motherboard, I would just overclock your processor.

ok Thank You very much for quick reply :)

and is there any way of checking my motherboard, because if there is then I'll check it and I could give you the name so you can tell me if I can overclock my processor.

Edit: I just realized I have Everest program on my PC, so I checked my motherboard info and it says that my Motherboard ID is: nVidia MCP73 and the package type is: 775 Contact LGA.

LOL I actually have no idea what that means that's just what I found it that program. Is that the info we're looking for or not?
Old October 24, 2011, 05:24 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Either open up your case and take a peek at the model number or try and see if a program like CPUz can identify your motherboard.
Old October 24, 2011, 05:36 AM
Rookie

Quote:
Either open up your case and take a peek at the model number or try and see if a program like CPUz can identify your motherboard.
k here's what I've got when I tried using that program. I'll just post a screenshot because I think it will be easier :)

is that good or bad? I know its an old motherboard so not sure if it allow me to overclock my processor
Old October 24, 2011, 05:45 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Seems like an OEM HP board, it'll have all voltage/clock speed adjustments disabled.

You could still theoretically overclock via software in Windows, but it's usually not recommended and generally not reliable. I would just run your games and compare before/after results in terms of FPS and gameplay experience. If it isn't a night and day difference or it seems you aren't getting good framerates where you should be getting them, I would then start looking at a full platform upgrade.
Old October 24, 2011, 05:50 AM
Rookie

Quote:
Seems like an OEM HP board, it'll have all voltage/clock speed adjustments disabled.

You could still theoretically overclock via software in Windows, but it's usually not recommended and generally not reliable. I would just run your games and compare before/after results in terms of FPS and gameplay experience. If it isn't a night and day difference or it seems you aren't getting good framerates where you should be getting them, I would then start looking at a full platform upgrade.
ok Thanks a lot for your help :)
Old October 24, 2011, 09:24 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

The 560 is a major improvement over a 240.

Since you have a 240 in there now it should be a pcie slot that you can pull the 240 out and put the 560 in.

Power supply should handle the new card fine, though make sure you connect the additional power connectors to it from your power supply (the 240 doesn't require any).

Only possible problem is if you have a small case that the 560 physically can't fit in.
Old October 24, 2011, 09:30 AM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Being a HP motherboard... chances are you will have 300-400w power supply at most and might not have the juice to run the video card or will need adapters to get the required PCI-e power cables. Even then, not really recommended.
Old October 24, 2011, 09:32 AM
Hall Of Fame

Card will work.

Verify psu and psu connectors.

Don't cheap out and use adapters.