Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Video Cards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old October 23, 2011, 11:40 AM
Rookie

My System Specs

Question Is it worth the wait?

Hey Everybody I am getting a new PC. And I am wondering because with new Graphics cards being released soon, should I get something like a GTX 570, or should I wait and get something a lot less powerful (Sub $100-). And wait till nVidia releases their new architecture (Kepler) Or when AMD Releases theirs. because I don't want to buy a graphics card that will quickly become a weak graphics card. I want one that will last me a long time( Slowly upgrade to a beastly computer). :D

Thank you everybody for your input, means a lot.
Old October 23, 2011, 01:25 PM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

Both current architectures have a ton of life left in them.
Old October 23, 2011, 02:10 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

Personally, I would go xfire or sli with medium range cards and not really worry about waiting. The gtx 560ti can be found around ~200$ now, and in sli, they easily outperform a single 580. However, the general consensus online seems to be that people prefer a single higher end card rather than sli/xfire options because of microstuttering. Personally, I have xfire 6870's, the supposedly worst card with microstuttering in xfire, but I have never seen one problem in owning them for over half a year. With all the numerous builds that I have done for friends using xfire/sli in their setup, non of them have ever seen any "microstuttering" either, so for me, it is a non issue and I can't really warrant how true it is about what people are saying about xfire/sli. Besides that, you can get one 560ti now, have very respectable gaming performance, and can add on another one later when you saved up more money.
Old November 1, 2011, 11:54 PM
Rookie

New graphics card shouldn't come until (and at least) next Easter, so if you still want to wait, suit yourself, but the 6950 2GB (which can be unlocked to 6970 2GB) is very very tempting for more advanced users. especially when you CF them... (then you would outperform a 6990 ^.^" with a price difference of around 260 dollars)

Tags
amd , gtx , kepler , nvidia , upgrade