Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Video Cards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old October 21, 2011, 05:17 AM
Trial Member

Default I got a question about video cards.

Hi there.
First time posting , but I been lurking for years.

So I am a huge EVGA fan, and I been contemplating upgrading to a GTX 570 for the past month or so. So, I decide to go shopping and see whats out there.

All the online stores seem to have everything you need, but the local shops have zero stock, which to me frankly is somewhat ODD.

So finally, I give up on Tuesday and order one from newegg.ca, but its Friday and it still hasn't shipped.

So where are all the video cards? nothing seems to be available, now granted the card I am looking for is a bit rare'er then most.

012-P3-1578-AR

So where are all the video cards hiding? is the 6 series video cards due out soon? it was my understanding they would be out near February in 2012.

I am also going to be water cooling my Video Card, and I been reading this perticular video card is a GTX 580 refrence card.

What does that mean? is there a wiki page somewhere or a link that explains some of the lingo?

I haven't been able to find anything.
Old October 21, 2011, 08:57 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by menglor View Post
Hi there.
First time posting , but I been lurking for years.

So I am a huge EVGA fan, and I been contemplating upgrading to a GTX 570 for the past month or so. So, I decide to go shopping and see whats out there.

All the online stores seem to have everything you need, but the local shops have zero stock, which to me frankly is somewhat ODD.

So finally, I give up on Tuesday and order one from newegg.ca, but its Friday and it still hasn't shipped.

So where are all the video cards? nothing seems to be available, now granted the card I am looking for is a bit rare'er then most.

012-P3-1578-AR

So where are all the video cards hiding? is the 6 series video cards due out soon? it was my understanding they would be out near February in 2012.

I am also going to be water cooling my Video Card, and I been reading this perticular video card is a GTX 580 refrence card.

What does that mean? is there a wiki page somewhere or a link that explains some of the lingo?

I haven't been able to find anything.
While I have no Idea when Kepler is comming nor any of the new Cards from either side of the fence I have too noticed a bit of a shortfall in the supply chain without much explanation.

I wouldn't worry too much, we should have many months left for the 5xx series cards to be sold and available.

As for Reference, that means it is designed on the nVidia based PCB. Not a custom one done by the re-seller (EVGA for instance). A lot of places will say that because most of the time Blocks and aftermarket cooling will only fit the Reference designs.
For Wiki pages that explain the lingo, none that I am aware of. Though all you have to do is ask on one of these forums. I am sure someone can help,

Welcome to HWC,

ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com
Old October 22, 2011, 05:23 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

That's the same card I'm looking at. It is indeed based off the 580 PCB not the 570. They did this to improve the cards power handling for overclocking. Per the EKs compatibility table it should work just fine with their 580 water block.