Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Video Cards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old February 25, 2008, 01:22 AM
Hall Of Fame

Hey great review SKY..

I wish these products came before I already bought my second GTX SC.. I like those temps with the zalman fans, offcouse we could always get something that thick that would spin faster, may even reduce the temps a little more..

Just one thing how come you didn't include the AC Accelero, it would be interesting to see the competition.. Once again Thermalright was the lowest, but running it in SLI is a big pain..

Anyways thanks SKY..
Old February 25, 2008, 05:44 AM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by miggs78 View Post
Just one thing how come you didn't include the AC Accelero, it would be interesting to see the competition..
I have a request in for an Accelero and it may come with my next shipment from AC. Basically the "why" is because AC wasn't able to provide me with one in time.
Old February 25, 2008, 10:19 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Nice review as always. Cheap, std fan replacement and taking back your space are highpoints for me.

Any Chance they'll put out a 2900 version? I love my 2900 but it's sure difficult to get an affordable HS replacement. So far I'm looking at $50+.

Old February 26, 2008, 01:35 AM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKYMTL View Post
I have a request in for an Accelero and it may come with my next shipment from AC. Basically the "why" is because AC wasn't able to provide me with one in time.
Aah makes sense, no worries there !!.. Will wait anxiously for your comparison when you get one... Gr8 stuff SKY
Old February 26, 2008, 05:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by low351 View Post
Any Chance they'll put out a 2900 version? I love my 2900 but it's sure difficult to get an affordable HS replacement. So far I'm looking at $50+.
Probably not...developing a 2900XT cooler would be like throwing money into the toilet. As it stands the GPUChilla would be completely overwhealmed by the R600 core.
Old March 15, 2008, 11:47 AM
Rookie

From what I have seen in another review, if you put this on an ATI 3870 card, you would have to remove its heatsinks? If so, I doubt I would buy this. Although I like its smaller size than the Accelero.
Old March 15, 2008, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tc17 View Post
From what I have seen in another review, if you put this on an ATI 3870 card, you would have to remove its heatsinks? If so, I doubt I would buy this. Although I like its smaller size than the Accelero.
Even with an Accelero you would have to remove the stock heatsinks.
Old March 15, 2008, 10:21 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKYMTL View Post
Even with an Accelero you would have to remove the stock heatsinks.
I know I've seen a review showing the the Accelero with the heatsinks left on the 3870. I can't find the review yet, but here is a picture of it. (talking about the memory heatsinks).

http://www.hardwarezone.com/img/data...800GT_3870.jpg

Rage3D Discussion Area - View Single Post - Picked up a couple of Palit HD 3870's

Last edited by tc17; March 15, 2008 at 10:27 PM.
Old March 20, 2008, 06:19 PM
Rookie

Has anyone tried this with a 3870 X2?

Has the ramsink problem been fixed?
Old April 15, 2008, 08:32 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Hey all,

I have the Sapphire HD3870 with the Blue Coller and the annoying fan speed bios. You know, the one that sits idle at 37C and then at 42C cranks up to 80% and makes a racket until it cools back down...

Well, I posted in other threads that I had ordered a Coolink GFXChilla from NCIX.com (Canadian site) and it arrived yesterday.

Tonight after supper, I fired up the PC and took some temps with the stock cooler. I currently have the HD3870 OC to 860/1236 and it's nice and stable. My tests were nothing overly scientific, I just used the CCC Overdrive page and GPU-Z Sensor page. They both reported the idle temps (no fan spin) at 37C. I used RIVATuner to crank the fan to 100% with no load and the temp dropped to 29C but obviously, it was quite loud.

I then ran the StressTest on the FUR Benchmark from oZone3D. I ran it at 1280x1024 with 16x AA for 30 minutes. After finishing the dishes, I checked the temp and both CCC and GPU-Z reported the temp at 81C with the fan spinning at 100%. It was quite loud with the fan spinnig at that speed.

I took out the card, removed the Blue cooler, cleaned up the GPU and ram sinks and proceeded to install the GFXChilla in about 60 minutes. I took my time, made sure everything cleared everything, stuff was lined up right and all. (Yes I am aware that I have now voided my warranty, but trust me... it was worth it!)

I reinstalled the card into my PC and plugged the dual 80mm low profile fans into a molex connector. I fired up the PC and checked the idle temp.

CCC and GPU-Z both reported idle temp of 21C. Now, I was happy with this as you can imagine, but I knew it would be much lower because there was a fan running on a heatpipe set-up, but I was still impressed with the extra 8C I got with NO NOTICABLE NOISE! Woo Hoo!

Well, it was now time to test under full load, so I ran the stress test again at the same settings as the first time. I sat in front of my PC for 30 minutes, watched the temps in the CCC and GPU-Z and as God is my witness, the temp never went over 47C! I swear to you that I am not freakin' kidding! I took screen-shots of it.

A 34C temp drop at 100% load with still NO NOTICABLE NOISE! Warranty be damned I say, this is the best 43$ (30$ +tax and shipping) I have ever spent on a PC cooling solution! This thing is amazing! And to boot, it's only a dual slot set-up. If I had a Crossfire board, I would easily be able to fit two of these one above the other and still have room for by SB Card.

Anyhow, I just thought I would post this experience for you all to read, especially those who are not afraid to toss out the warranty on their 200$ card and who thought (or think) that the Blue Cooler is too loud to their liking and don't like the FanBios.

I am now going to watch the Hockey Game. I hope the Flames win again over the Sharks. That would be sweet! Go Habs too!

Cheers!
Canuck