Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Video Cards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old October 12, 2011, 06:25 AM
Trial Member

Default Old card broke, need another one for about $150~$200

My old 8800GTS broke yesterday, and now i can't do anything because my mother board doesn't have on-board video (MSI P67A-GD55).

I need a new one that could run most of the games maxed out at 1080p, and could run the cames that will come on the next 3 years at 1080p but not at the max setting, meddium or low would already be good.

I was thinking about one 6870 or one GTX560, which one is the best?

My configuration:

i5 2500k / MSI P67A-GD55 / 2x2GB 1600mhz / XFX 850W
Old October 12, 2011, 08:24 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Depends on which games you play. If you look at SKYMTL's GTX 560 review (Not the Ti version) NVIDIA GeForce GTX 560 1GB Review you'll see that they swap back and forth depending on the game.

Personally, I'd take an nVidia card because I think their driver support is better.
Old October 12, 2011, 08:30 AM
Rookie

Not sure which brand card you have, but depending on the type of failure many times you could have a chat with the manufacturer's customer service department and get a new card for a discount or even free. Video cards rarely fail and most manufacturers are willing to deal to keep your good will.
Old October 12, 2011, 09:06 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by trowakage View Post
Not sure which brand card you have, but depending on the type of failure many times you could have a chat with the manufacturer's customer service department and get a new card for a discount or even free. Video cards rarely fail and most manufacturers are willing to deal to keep your good will.
That really depends on the company and if the card has a valid warranty or not.

If its lifetime and registered properly then yes, go through the warranty process.
If not then getting a replacement card is the only route to go. Video cards do fail, and its a lot more often than you indicate, as well most manufacturers although they have a good CS department, if you are out of warranty you are not going to get much of anything out of them..

To the OP,

GTX560TI would be the route I would go if you can find one within that range (After MIR).
The 560 non-TI is a little more of a neutered version, though I would still get it over the AMD due to better historical driver support.

-ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com
Old October 12, 2011, 07:44 PM
MVP

My System Specs

While shopping for a new card, you could try baking your existing card. The most common failure for video cards seems to be soldered joints, due to heat cycling. Baking the card can soften the solder enough for it to reflow and tighten those connections back up.
Old October 13, 2011, 04:37 PM
Rookie

From the sales I've looked at this seems like the best deal XFX 6870 on for 159.99 with $20 MIR and Double Lifetime Warranty and comes with Dirt 3.

NCIX.com - Buy XFX Radeon HD 6870 900MHZ 1GB 4.2GHZ GDDR5 2XDVI HDMI 2x Mini DisplayPort PCI-E Video Card - XFX - HD687AZHFC - in Canada