Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   Video Cards (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/video-cards/)
-   -   What to replace X800XL with? (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/video-cards/47053-what-replace-x800xl.html)

upcoast604 October 5, 2011 10:36 AM

What to replace X800XL with?
 
The x800xl pci-e sadly packed it in today and I need another card on the cheap that'll be the same performance or a little better, any ideas?. Mostly using for watching avi to tv.

Thanks.

LarkStarr October 5, 2011 10:53 AM

holy hell. any $50 card will net you much better performance then something that old! point and shoot at your local store / e-tailor.

Lpfan4ever October 5, 2011 11:08 AM

Cheapest thing from NCIX, would handle plain AVI fine:

NCIX.com - Buy MSI GeForce 8400GS 520MHZ 256MB DDR2 PCI-E VGA DVI HDMI HDCP Passive Video Card - MSI/MicroStar - N8400GS-MD256H/TC - in Canada

However, I'd suggest at least going for one of these, that way you get a bit more oomph for your money:

NCIX.com - Buy Gigabyte Radeon HD 5450 650MHZ 512MB 800MHZ DDR2 PCI-E VGA DP 2XHDMI Low Profile Video Card - Gigabyte - GV-R545D2-512D - in Canada

stoanee October 5, 2011 11:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LarkStarr (Post 554977)
holy hell. any $50 card will net you much better performance then something that old! point and shoot at your local store / e-tailor.


Hey! At least it was a pcie..........:haha:

You should have no trouble finding a economical replacement, the giga lp recommended looks good.

MARSTG October 5, 2011 11:27 AM

you could go locally with a 8800GT/9800GT for those 50$

upcoast604 October 5, 2011 12:32 PM

I believe apart from sm3 the 8600GT was on par with x800xl.

What I've narrowed down is 1st picks 5670 or5750, runners up GT240, 4670, 5570, 3rd option see what sales have to offer the next few days ie ncix tonight.

I cant find any reviews to back track GT240, 4670, 5570 compared to 8600GT.

zsamz_ October 5, 2011 02:33 PM

for tv n desktop an ati card is best:whistle:

JMCD October 5, 2011 02:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by upcoast604 (Post 555008)
I believe apart from sm3 the 8600GT was on par with x800xl.

What I've narrowed down is 1st picks 5670 or5750, runners up GT240, 4670, 5570, 3rd option see what sales have to offer the next few days ie ncix tonight.

I cant find any reviews to back track GT240, 4670, 5570 compared to 8600GT.

4670/5670 are easy drop in cards. I'd recommend either of them depending on which has the most ideal price at the moment.

upcoast604 October 5, 2011 07:59 PM

Must have been a glitch during format, stuck it in another win7 box and it's working fine now. I'm going to try and find a card with s-video and make it through the next five yrs before buying an hdtv (still using 36" 180lb glass screen beast).

Thanks for the help.

techman95 October 5, 2011 08:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by upcoast604 (Post 555177)
Must have been a glitch during format, stuck it in another win7 box and it's working fine now. I'm going to try and find a card with s-video and make it through the next five yrs before buying an hdtv (still using 36" 180lb glass screen beast).

Thanks for the help.

mines bigger:bleh: a 42" sony thats about 280lbs, it when it dies its ganna sit for a few years till i remeber it then it will be left for longer because moving it once was a pain in my arse


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 12:42 PM.