Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Video Cards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old February 21, 2008, 01:02 PM
Rookie

Default 8800 GT SSC v. 8800 GT (EVGA)

Hello,

I've been a lurker for a bit and hopefully exhausted my search of the forum before posting. My apologies if I'm duplicating a question.

I'm on my way out today to upgrade the card that came with my recently built system (an 8500GT...I know, I know). My choice pretty much comes down to 1 of 2 EVGA cards (which I like because of the lifetime warranty and the Step Up program, even though there are cheaper options out there).

Considering I have a pretty solid system with no perceivable choke points (DDR2 ram, Quad Core, newer model Intel Mobo) and at this point have no real desire to be messing around with after market cooling options or manual overclocking my question is:

Is the speed and performance difference in the SSC model enough to justify the 30-40 price difference between the cards?

I know looking flat out at the specs that the SSC is a 'better' card and, like pretty much all the 8800GT cards, has been well reviewed...But is the performance difference out of the box enough to make the extra money worth it?

Cheers for your thoughts
Old February 21, 2008, 01:23 PM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inhocmark View Post
Hello,

I've been a lurker for a bit and hopefully exhausted my search of the forum before posting. My apologies if I'm duplicating a question.

I'm on my way out today to upgrade the card that came with my recently built system (an 8500GT...I know, I know). My choice pretty much comes down to 1 of 2 EVGA cards (which I like because of the lifetime warranty and the Step Up program, even though there are cheaper options out there).

Considering I have a pretty solid system with no perceivable choke points (DDR2 ram, Quad Core, newer model Intel Mobo) and at this point have no real desire to be messing around with after market cooling options or manual overclocking my question is:

Is the speed and performance difference in the SSC model enough to justify the 30-40 price difference between the cards?

I know looking flat out at the specs that the SSC is a 'better' card and, like pretty much all the 8800GT cards, has been well reviewed...But is the performance difference out of the box enough to make the extra money worth it?

Cheers for your thoughts
There's a bit of a difference, but not all that much. IMO it isn't worth $40 and you won't notice a lot of a difference. But if you're willing to spend the money, it will get you a few extra fps.
Old February 21, 2008, 01:45 PM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

If you are a bencher, you want the SSC because they are proven to clock better than regular. But whether 20-30mhz is worth $40 is up to you.
Old February 21, 2008, 03:38 PM
Rookie

I have the 8800 GTS SSC, its been great.... If 40 bucks doesn't mean much, go with the GTS SSC; it also has better cooling.
Ultra Black Aluminus ATX Case
2GB Crucial Ballistix Tracer DDR2-8500 1066MHz
Seagate / 320GB / 7200/ SATA-300
OCZ GameXStream 700-Watt
Zalman CNPS9500 LED Copper CPU Heat Sink
Samsung SH-S203B Black SATA DVD+RW W
Windows Vista Home Premium 32 bit
Old February 22, 2008, 10:10 AM
Rookie

Cheers, Appreciate the help. I saved myself the $40 bucks and went with the stock card...I figure at some point if I need it I can OC it myself.
Old February 25, 2008, 02:12 PM
Top Prospect

Yup, it's not that hard. Congrats on your new purchase!
Old February 26, 2008, 01:04 PM
MVP

Hi all I am kinda new to this forum but some of you will know me from NCIX but I have a really stupid question thats been bugging me for a while. What does SSC stand for? I have been wracking my brain trying to figure it out. Its probably insanely simple but i just don't see it.
Old February 26, 2008, 01:33 PM
Top Prospect

Super Super Clocked
Old February 26, 2008, 02:13 PM
MVP

Thanks for the info.