Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Video Cards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old October 2, 2011, 05:46 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Default 6950 clock speeds randomly dropping

I am using an xfx 6950 1gb with a gelid icy vision cooler. Temps idle at 34 and load at 47. I have been noticing random drops in my performance while playing games. I just installed ccc 11.10 but i was getting this on 11.9 as well. if I open up kombuster the gpu goes to 900 /1400 clocks but I get drops to 500/1300 about every 5-10 seconds. It drops and shoots back up to where it was before. this is that my afterburner looks like

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Is this normal?

Last edited by tianfeng; October 2, 2011 at 05:53 PM.
Old October 2, 2011, 05:52 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Does this happen with every game or is it happening just in BF3 beta?
Old October 2, 2011, 05:54 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

sorry, Trying to get the image to show up right. I am not even playing bf3 beta. I was just looking noticing it while playing any game.
Old October 2, 2011, 06:46 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Turn powertune to +20 in CCC. Fixed

Edit:
This will explain why.

AMD Radeon HD 6970 and HD 6950 Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3.0charlie View Post
My knuckles are bleeding from fishing through walls a new CAT6 network cable... I found fresh, untapped electrical outlets...
"It's all in the Reflexes"-Jack Burton
Old October 3, 2011, 03:15 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

That was the first thing I did because I read that could be the problem. When I do that it sets my clocks back to stock but it is still doing the jumps.
Old October 3, 2011, 06:18 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

You sure this happens with games because I only have this problem with my high OC and furmark. Games don't seem to cause the TDP limit to kick in, even though I'm clocked at 975/1450.
If yours is happening on stock clocks I would say you have a weak PSU, or your video card may need an RMA.
Old October 3, 2011, 09:51 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

My PSU is a tx850 so I don't think I am using more than that. I will try again after work and see if i am getting the same problem with gaming. I am hoping that it isn't an rma problem because I don't want to deal with xfx. I am not seeing any other major problems with it like artifacting. Is there a communication problem with afterburner and ccc? Should i use something else to overclock?
Old October 3, 2011, 10:19 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

Run it at stock and see if it happens, if it does, there's something wrong, if it doesn't, then your issue is your OC is too high for the TDP/Powertune limits.
I know there's an issue with unlocking the CCC limits via AB, but there's a registry hack out there that bypasses the CCC OC limits and then you can just use AB to overclock as needed.
Old October 3, 2011, 12:24 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

I read about that this morning and I think I might give it a shot. I can also re-seat the gpu and see what happens. nothing ever just works. I am still dealing with the front two ram slots not working on an rma'ed crosshair v and i am waiting for bulldozer to see if it will fix it.
Old October 3, 2011, 12:31 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I had issues with getting my powertune settings to stick with AB installed, think it was Ari that asked if I had tried with AB uninstalled.
Uninstalled AB, rebooted, apply powertune in ccc, reboot, install AB, powertune setting stick.
Unfortunately AB doesnt like to change the corev's on my asus 6970's so for me now I use smartdr to adjust the clocks and voltage between ccc and AB.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3.0charlie View Post
My knuckles are bleeding from fishing through walls a new CAT6 network cable... I found fresh, untapped electrical outlets...
"It's all in the Reflexes"-Jack Burton