Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Video Cards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old October 1, 2011, 11:15 AM
Rookie

Default Can my power supply handle a GTX 560?

I'm trying to upgrade my graphics card to a GTX 560. The minimum system power requirement for this card is 450 watts. I'm looking to buy a card from EVGA that is close to the reference card with part number 01G-P3-1460-KR. My power supply maximum is 460 watts. A picture of the label on my power supply unit is attached. I would really appreaciate any advice I can get.
Attached Images

Old October 1, 2011, 11:26 AM
F@H

My System Specs

I cannot see the UL number so I don't know the exact model.
But judging by the specs I see, and just taking a guess of what it is. I wouldn't even try.

Get yourself a nice Antec, Corsair, Seasonic, Silverstone unit. 600W.

-ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com
Old October 1, 2011, 11:30 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

What brand/model psu is it? What is the rest of your setup? Current video card?

I ask that just to be sure, but judging by the label I would say NO. Looks like a budget PSU that is just waiting to blow if you push it hard. Says on it 12v rails not too exceed 385w. Give us the extra info I asked for and I may change my mind, but not looking too good IMO.
Old October 1, 2011, 12:01 PM
F@H

My System Specs

If you want quality power delivered to your components, never go with the default/case power supply.
Old October 1, 2011, 12:05 PM
Rookie

I'd really hate to pay another $80 for a power supply, is it even possible at all to install the graphics card without upgrading the PSU, or is it certain disaster.
Old October 1, 2011, 12:16 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

The issue with your power supply is not the total wattage, but the strange distribution of power rails on that PSU. Your +12V has a 18A (216W), 16A (192W), and oddly, an 8A (96W) rail.
Unless you can confirm your GPU will never try to draw power from that 8A rail (probably attached to hard drives), don't try it because you'll watch your computer shut down when things get graphically demanding. If it wasn't for that strange 8A rail I'd say it would work. I've run Dell and HP PSUs close to their limit before (375W power supply with a Radeon 4850, 300W power supply with a GeForce 7900GS and 95W TDP quad), and they usually handle it fine but they get hot and inefficient.

Take a look at these possibilities:
Newegg.ca - CORSAIR Builder Series CX500 V2 500W ATX12V v2.3 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Power Supply
Newegg.ca - Antec EarthWatts EA-500D Green 500W ATX12V v2.3 / EPS12V 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Active PFC Power Supply
NCIX.com - Buy Antec High Current Gamer 520W 40A 24PIN ATX12V V2.3 Active PFC 80 Plus Bronze Power Supply 135mm Fan - Antec - HCG-520 - in Canada

I'll agree with you that the max wattage of these recommendations is high for a non-OC'd computer, but for some reason manufacturers won't put two PCIE connectors on power supplies rated at less than 460W. You could go with a 400W unit from Antec, Corsair, Seasonic, or other quality brands but you'd need a "Molex" to PCI-E adaptor, which I don't recommend because it's an extra connection that can fail.

EDIT:
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremy5561 View Post
I'd really hate to pay another $80 for a power supply, is it even possible at all to install the graphics card without upgrading the PSU, or is it certain disaster.
From my experiences with Dell / HP default power supplies, it won't explode but don't be surprised if it shuts down on you.
Old October 1, 2011, 01:31 PM
Allstar
F@H

There are times when the PSU goes, it takes some other parts with it. Probably one of the reasons why they only put an HD 6450 in it. Of course, at your own risk if you want to keep using it once your new card arrives.

Old October 1, 2011, 06:56 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Is it possible that the psu could run a 560...yes. Would I do it...no.

LINK

Link has 560 normally not pulling more than 160w, but a maximum of 220w recorded

SALE FOR PSU. Memory express only until the 3rd (monday). Not the best of the best PSU, but definetly going to be more than enough for what you need and at a price that won't break the bank. Corsair builder series 600w for $35. Don't think too many people would argue with bang for buck on the psu at that price point.
Old October 1, 2011, 07:08 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by punk_zappa View Post
There are times when the PSU goes, it takes some other parts with it. Probably one of the reasons why they only put an HD 6450 in it. Of course, at your own risk if you want to keep using it once your new card arrives.
ALthough most Delta PSU's are decent (which Dell uses a lot) I still don't have the confidence in it.

A corsair builder series was suggested, even there gamer series would work.

You don't want to risk your unit killing components inside your tower, and trust me a little extra is worth the piece of mind.

ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com
Old October 1, 2011, 07:57 PM
Rookie

Well the card I'm going to buy EVGA | Products, is almost exactly like the reference card and according to nvidia's website, the maximum graphics card power is 150W. It should not pull more than 150W. That was probably an overclocked edition or something. GeForce GTX 560 - Specifications - GeForce

I would buy that power supply but I live in Toronto. I'll try my current PSU and if it blows, then I'll have to buy another one.