Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Video Cards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old September 29, 2011, 01:10 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Default NVIDIA GTX460 Has Been Nerfed?! In Comes GTX 460v2

GeForce GTX 460 - Specifications - GeForce

There's a drop in the memory interface width, but the texture fill rate has been increased. Same for the clock speeds as well.
Old September 29, 2011, 01:28 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by geokilla View Post
GeForce GTX 460 - Specifications - GeForce

There's a drop in the memory interface width, but the texture fill rate has been increased. Same for the clock speeds as well.
I think it should probably net the same performance. Good to see the 460 line is still going strong as they are amazing cards for the price.
And a pair in SLI for the cost will be cheaper than a lot of single card solutions that net better FPS.

-ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com
Old September 29, 2011, 01:31 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Hmm... so it's an OC'd GTX 460 non-SE with a few memory lines cut? I wonder how they wired the memory to the chip memory channels wise given that 1GB / 192 bits doesn't give you an integer.
If they did something odd with the memory channels (kinda like putting 512+256+256 DIMMs in a PC) then I wonder if latency will suffer.
Old September 29, 2011, 03:40 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

IMO its basically a 768mb gtx 460 with 256/256/512 (to give it 1gb memory as in a gtx 550 Ti) that has an OC to make up (in theory) for the reduction in memory bus width. I have a feeling this will end up causing a card that is worse in performance per watt. They must have a pile up of 460 chips with a defect and want to get more money for them than the 768mb version brings in.
Old October 4, 2011, 10:05 AM
Rookie

My System Specs

Great, no SLI now with this card. You need to have the exact same card.
Old October 4, 2011, 12:55 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMC View Post
Great, no SLI now with this card. You need to have the exact same card.
Not sure it would be an issue, I bet you could still do it and the new 460 would just downclock to the same speed as the older one.
Might be a bit of a performance hit But shouldn't be too bad.

Not that I can say for certain, but in theory it should work.

ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com
Old October 4, 2011, 01:33 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soultribunal View Post
Not sure it would be an issue, I bet you could still do it and the new 460 would just downclock to the same speed as the older one.
Might be a bit of a performance hit But shouldn't be too bad.

Not that I can say for certain, but in theory it should work.

ST
That usually works if the architecture is the same. Core clocks, mem clocks can be varied. But if the bus width is different, then it will not act the same. It needs the same number of cores and bus width.