Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Video Cards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old September 28, 2011, 10:28 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Thumbs down Beware: Sapphire Warranty in Canada is horrid

My Sapphire 5850 Vapor-X died after 6 months....so i emailed Sapphire.

Sapphire does not handle their own RMA's, they source it out to a company called "Athlon Inc" (who i believe are in Los Angeles) . To RMA a Sapphire card from Canada you need to first ship the card to Athlon Inc which you pay for, then pay an administration fee. Once this is done Athlon Inc will ship the card to Hong Kong, then back to LA, then back to you.

You need to pay out of your pocket for this...Athlon Inc estimates $25-$50 per card which does not cover the cost of shipping it to them in the first place. I am guessing if i RMA this card it's going to be close to $75.

Here is the email i received from Athlon Inc
Our company, Althon Inc., is a logistic company handling warranty (RMA) service on Sapphire product in Canadian territories.

For RMA (Warranty) claim against Sapphire, first of all, please check the warranty provided by your dealer. If it is within their warranty period, you should get the service from them.

Should the dealer warranty expired, and you like to file a claim against Sapphire, then, there are steps which we have to go through before Sapphire would issue an official RMA number to authorize such return.

Note that, Sapphire is not a Canadian company and their head office is in Asia (Hong Kong). Sapphire warranty covers free parts/labor only. Therefore, for any RMA claims against Sapphire, we have to send the card back and forth to Asia, and back to you afterwards, so there will be costs involved (Administration and Freight). Cost of each card is ranging from CAD$25-CAD$45 depending on your location/province (this does not include the transportation cost from you sending the defective card to us).

Should you decide to go ahead with the claim, please provide the below information:

1. Serial number of the card
2. Part Number of the card
3. SKU number of the card
4. Complete full product description of the card (AGP/PCIE, 512M/1GB, Dual DVI / DVI, VO / VIVO.....etc)
5. Details of your name and shipping address (not PO Box)
6. Copy of the purchase invoice
7. Read the attached RMA Policy & Procedure, and email us back with your confirmation of acceptance to all terms/conditions.

Should you have any queries regarding the Sapphire warranty policy, please visit this reference link:

RMA Dept
Althon Inc.

I am not happy at all and will never buy a Sapphire card again..i own 2 of them, both 5850s. Just a fair warning to fellow Canucks incase your Sapphire card dies.

I went a got a EVGA GTX580 yesterday...sorry ATI
Old September 28, 2011, 10:34 AM
Top Prospect

Sorry to hear about that...when I was with ATI, I went with XFX because the warranty was the longest and it sounded like they had the best customer service after talking with some other XFX owners. I never did have to use the warranty, though. So, I can't say how good/bad their service is.

Either way, you can't go wrong with EVGA on the nVidia side. Best of luck with the new GPU.
Old September 28, 2011, 11:30 AM

My System Specs

I quit buying Sapphire cards 2-3 years ago because of this specific reason.
Old September 28, 2011, 11:59 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowfat View Post
I quit buying Sapphire cards 2-3 years ago because of this specific reason.

I think a lot of us did from both sapphire and diamond because of this.

Very sorry to hear mate that you have had to go through this.

-ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com
Old September 28, 2011, 12:02 PM
Banned

Crappy that they wont warrenty it without cost or what not ....

Reality is i've owned a fair amount of brands of ati video cards over the last 2+ decades (Ati,Sapphire, Visiontek, HIS, Palit & currently Power Color) & as of yet have i been lucky to have a card die (sorry the 1 HIS card did have a overheading gpu/software glitch in it but still funtional in 2d mode fine so was exchanged under rma) ... And to date i have yet to find a card that has not lasted at least a year before i have sold it off & stepped up to the next series of card.

So i find it hard to believe that someone after buying a few sapphire cards would just dump them cause of 1 bad 1 & rma experience ....

Oh & that Athlon group has been the rma handlers for eon's of ati's own original cards & saphires .... like what was believed/known many moons ago that sapphire actualy made all of ati's own cards so gettin a sapphire for cheaper was a deal/steal vs a ati branded one.
Old September 28, 2011, 12:03 PM
F@H

My System Specs

I had absolutely no issues with my Sapphire RMA on my HD4890 Vapor-X about 6 months ago?

Athlon Inc has an office in Markham, ON. I dropped my card off there (to save on shipping to them) and gave them $25 for the processing and return shipping. I had the option to pick it up as well, but they would not waive the $25 fee, so I just let them ship it to me instead.

Card showed up at my house in about 2 weeks later and has been working perfectly ever since.

So I'm not really sure what there is to complain about. Typically speaking you always have to pay for the shipping to the RMA center, though I guess the $25 (to $45 apparently, wasn't like that before) return shipping/processing fee is a bit high.

Their address is:
140 Shields Court
Markham, Ontario
Canada L3R 9T5
Tel: (905) 513-1221
Fax: (905) 513-1220
Office hrs: 9am - 5:30pm (EST)
Old September 28, 2011, 12:30 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD View Post
I had absolutely no issues with my Sapphire RMA on my HD4890 Vapor-X about 6 months ago?

Athlon Inc has an office in Markham, ON. I dropped my card off there (to save on shipping to them) and gave them $25 for the processing and return shipping. I had the option to pick it up as well, but they would not waive the $25 fee, so I just let them ship it to me instead.

Card showed up at my house in about 2 weeks later and has been working perfectly ever since.

So I'm not really sure what there is to complain about. Typically speaking you always have to pay for the shipping to the RMA center, though I guess the $25 (to $45 apparently, wasn't like that before) return shipping/processing fee is a bit high.

Their address is:
140 Shields Court
Markham, Ontario
Canada L3R 9T5
I'm just pissed that i need to pay shipping both ways + an administration fee. I mean, what if i had a lower end card that died...an RMA would almost be the entire cost of a new card.
Old September 28, 2011, 02:21 PM
Allstar

Thanks for the post. I find it unacceptable that a customer need to pay an admin fee to have a product serviced under warranty.
Old September 28, 2011, 02:30 PM
Rookie

As if Sapphire is not big enough as to have their own RMA center in America.

All it would require is an updated inventory, testing cards and shipping back duds cards once in a while.

Last edited by Transisto; September 28, 2011 at 04:18 PM.
Old September 28, 2011, 03:58 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD View Post

Their address is:
140 Shields Court
Markham, Ontario
Canada L3R 9T5
I hate to say it JD, but I never Paid ASUS for identical services. IT cost me $8.25 to ship a GTX260 to them, 5 day turnaround, and no return cost/processing fee.

So to me, it still is a bitter pill to swallow to front $50 for something dead. And a reason why they will never get my vote of confidence.

-ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com