Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Video Cards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old September 24, 2011, 10:43 AM
Rookie

My System Specs

I totally agree with what Arinoth has concluded..that with one screen, 3GB is too much Vram for most games to ever use. I am eager to see tests that will push a rig to its "eye candy" limits with surround (Since right now I have Nvidia cards) at high resolution. Great discussion.

SkyMTL, I look forward VERY much to your article.
Old September 24, 2011, 09:26 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny_Utah View Post
I totally agree with what Arinoth has concluded..that with one screen, 3GB is too much Vram for most games to ever use. I am eager to see tests that will push a rig to its "eye candy" limits with surround (Since right now I have Nvidia cards) at high resolution. Great discussion.

SkyMTL, I look forward VERY much to your article.
With one screen, 2GB is too much for any game to ever use, let alone three.

1.5GB is fine for most games up to 57X10 4X AA, which is a lot more pixels than any single monitor. It's basically higher than 4XAA at 57X10 or higher resolutions than 57X10 that need 2GB+.

XBitlabs just did a nice comparison of this as well:

AMD Eyefinity and Nvidia Surround Technologies Reviewed - X-bit labs

What I like about that review is they have 1GB GTX 560 SLi included, and it does fine at 57X10 with no AA, and on some games fine at that res with the AA on. The 1.5GB per GPU GTX590 and 2GB per GPU HD6990 trade wins as always, but there's nothing there that says the 590 is a bad choice at 57X10 with AA. (which has been my experience with the 590 as well)
Old September 24, 2011, 09:57 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

Yup, but the thing is, I want to play with maxed settings. I think I hit the Vram wall a couple times and don't want to hit it again. I went from 2xsli to 3 times sli and the difference was noticeable. Now, I want to see what the extra ram will do. I would like to see benches for them...and that's what I think SKY is going to work on.
Old September 24, 2011, 10:32 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Yup, but the thing is, I want to play with maxed settings. I think I hit the Vram wall a couple times and don't want to hit it again. I went from 2xsli to 3 times sli and the difference was noticeable. Now, I want to see what the extra ram will do. I would like to see benches for them...and that's what I think SKY is going to work on.
GPUz / sensor / memory usage , click the tab to show current/Min/Max/Avg .

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3.0charlie View Post
My knuckles are bleeding from fishing through walls a new CAT6 network cable... I found fresh, untapped electrical outlets...
"It's all in the Reflexes"-Jack Burton
Old September 26, 2011, 08:21 PM
Banned

Quote:
I just picked up a pair of the 3gb 580s myself, looking forward to his benches.

I'm going to use my GTX590 on my 25X16 monitor, and the 3GB 580s on my 57X10 surround set. All 580 cores, all the time, FTW.