Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Video Cards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old September 12, 2011, 09:00 PM
Rookie

Default video card repair for ati 4890

so my little brother decided to do build a computer from my spare parts.. when he was putting the videocard (out of warranty ati 4890 oc) he noticed "something" fell off.. see below

im not much of an electronics expert but i think its a 330uf 16v capacitor as seen below.. not sure if its a specific type and what not

my question can it be re-solder back to its place without running into problem or do i need to find a replacement capacitor? and if i was to replace it can any 330uf 16v capacitor will do?

any help is appreciated.. thanks
Old September 12, 2011, 09:05 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

In theory it should work.. but with that much effort might as well just buy another one for around 50-60.
Old September 12, 2011, 11:36 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

this is totally repairable, i have done it twice on vid cards, old one solders out, new one solders in, can be done with almost any soldering iron

on the pcb there will be a circle around the cap mounting area, one side will be solid color like the blue on the top of the old cap, this represents negative and should match orientation with the new cap

for the replacement cap rule of thumb is match capacitance exceed voltage (im not actually 100% on if this is correct or not but it has worked out for me in all cases) so something like 330uf @ 20v

solder out the old pins, solder in the new cap, make sure to not put to much heat into the pcb
Old September 12, 2011, 11:52 PM
Hall Of Fame

the cap doesn't look broken / burnt though, I'm sure you could just solder it back on easy
Old September 12, 2011, 11:57 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

one leg looks awfully short though, you could salvage a cap from old components also, i have a bag of rubycons from old mobos
Old September 13, 2011, 12:52 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Solder a small piece of wire onto the short leg and then solder it onto the card.
Old September 13, 2011, 11:35 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mook06 View Post
on the pcb there will be a circle around the cap mounting area, one side will be solid color like the blue on the top of the old cap, this represents negative and should match orientation with the new cap
... and make sure to compare polarity with other caps on the card as well. Some PCBs have the markings backwards.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mook06 View Post
for the replacement cap rule of thumb is match capacitance exceed voltage (im not actually 100% on if this is correct or not but it has worked out for me in all cases) so something like 330uf @ 20v
Same type of capacitor (IE: poly or lytic) is important. Capacitance should be the same or very close. Voltage has to be the same or higher. Higher voltage caps get bigger really quick, then physically do not fit the spot anymore. Other than that, I don't believe there is any problem with higher rated caps for voltage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by YukonTrooper View Post
Solder a small piece of wire onto the short leg and then solder it onto the card.
It would have to be a long piece of wire or it would unsolder and possibly short itself when he was trying to put it back on the board.