Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Video Cards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old September 8, 2011, 06:47 PM
Hall Of Fame

Default PNY warranty: experience?

Looks like my 5 month old 560Ti might be on the fritz. I fire up the system tonight and it won't boot past the black screen with spinning Win7 logo.
1. I try reboot to safe mode, won't even bring up the menu but rather gives me the menu to repair or boot normally.
2. I try the repair option, menu appears, searches for problems, attempts repair, and seems to hang there, hdd light not blinking.
3. Reboot to bios, check settings and autodetection, looks ok.
4. Reboot, try for safe mode, no luck, same result as 1.
5. Reboot with win7 dvd in drive, boots from dvd, attempt repair, hangs again, right near what is probably the end of the repairing progress bar. Up to now I'm suspecting my boot sector of the drive.
6. Install old 80gb drive, attempt to install win7 to it. Full install goes ok until it reboots and tries to detect "video performance" and hangs there. I press esc, ctrl alt del,... enter, ....esc, then finally the next window to enter a user name appears, but VERY sluggish. I shut it down.

I was thinking it's worth a call to PNY and see what they say, I don't have a spare card to try. Anyone have PNY warranty experience? I doubt my system is fixable without trying another vid card (?).

[anyone around ottawa have a spare card they don't need that's sitting around? PM me and I'll come pick it up if I'm sending mine out]

Last edited by On2wheels; September 8, 2011 at 07:11 PM.
Old September 8, 2011, 07:57 PM
F@H

My System Specs

I would by all means talk to PNY.
My last experience was with a 465 and they were extremely helpful (card was fine, I just was doing somtehing wrong).

-ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com
Old September 9, 2011, 10:24 AM
Hall Of Fame

They said just what I expected: try differernt RAM and try my card in a different system if possible, but he wasn't against giving me an RMA# if I wanted one. hmmm...
Old September 9, 2011, 11:08 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by On2wheels View Post
They said just what I expected: try differernt RAM and try my card in a different system if possible, but he wasn't against giving me an RMA# if I wanted one. hmmm...

If you can't test it because its beyond your means, then take the RMA#.

-ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com
Old September 13, 2011, 08:07 AM
Hall Of Fame

Turned out to be a glitch with windows. Formatted and reinstalled, working fine now. I may still find a used card to have for real emergencies.