Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Video Cards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 12, 2012, 06:10 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

Congratz,that is absolutly perfect,even i'd say quite cold for a SLI setup,your coolest card is like my single card.. this is great.yea be softer on the curve.Mine is perfect, i'll tell you :

(0 - 30)c = 40%
(30-40)c = (40% - 43%)
(40-50)c = (43% - 50%)
(50-80)c = (50% - 90%)
80+ = 100%

This forces the card to stay under 65 in all games exept crysis = (68c after 1 hour) and it's not very noisy to have 65% fans on my card!, i don't know for yours but i think the default fan monitoring curve is the same for any card right? you should try this.

Now you can overclock your card without problem Btw,after all you did , i think it could be cooler, my case only has 2x 120mm + 1x 240mm and it's like your coolest cards,EVGA fans are not the best... but the most important thing is that you are safe now, and yes , if you want,you can overclock,just make sure to stay with safe temps

Last edited by bliz; November 12, 2012 at 06:15 AM.
Old November 12, 2012, 01:41 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

Yes, overclocking is exactly what I was thinking. I'd like to do one more thing though. I did turn back the fan curve a little (very similar to yours now), and the temps are still very good. However, I think the stock EVGA fans are still too loud. Is there any aftermarket GTX 570 coolers I could replace the stock ones with?

Edit: Maybe something like this might work:
Accelero Twin Turbo II VGA Cooling ARCTIC

I'm just not sure if it's compatible with the EVGA HD cards.

Last edited by Toto; November 12, 2012 at 01:55 PM.
Old November 12, 2012, 03:55 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Woah i don't know... it's a single fan model right? i think it would work,you would have to remove the cover. If you dare to dismount your cards,why not, then take the pcb and throw it in it..
this is good GELID SOLUTIONS ICY VISION VGA Kuehler Rev.2 fuer - Achat et vente neufs et d'occasion sur PriceMinister

and this is great Ventilateur : Zalman VF3000F580 Ventilateur pour Carte graphique Nvidia-GTX580 570/480*: Amazon.fr*: Informatique

Keep in mind that dual fan is generally more noisy than single fan :P the reference card is very quiet...I don't know the noise of EVGA fans.

Also make sure that the temperatures stay normal, it's not a reason to push them too much ,stay under 80c.And no extreme overclocking ,because you have been running them very hot ,for a long time??? if it's just a month with those temps it's ok but well, a year burning them and now overclocking them to death,I don't know.Because i need to tell you that 97c was total burning,really terrible. don't be hard with em :P...i mean, if you get 80 - 100 mhz more on the core,be happy^^

Normally, if you are reasonable on the voltage, like 37 or 50 more millivolts,you could do that and the temps would not really increase, like 3-5c maybe... i suggest to overclock them the same,better for SLI.So their power is the same in games and it's more stable.So if the top card is too hot, don't push the coolest card,stay with same overclock. seriously if you want good cooler,go with the Zalman even if it's expensive,but i think you can get some for 50 bucks...
Old November 17, 2012, 02:53 AM
Rookie

My System Specs

After searching info on aftermarket cooling, it turns out that both the Gelid Icy Vision Rev.2 and the Zalman VF3000F are not compatible with the EVGA HD cards. The problem is the 2nd DVI port is in the way. The only compatible coolers I could find are the Arctic Accelero Twin Turbo II or the Xtreme Plus III. I really like the Xtreme Plus cooler (3 Fans), but it's so large that it won't fit inside my case, so I went ahead and ordered a Twin Turbo II. Even though this cooler has 2 fans, it should be much more silent than the stock EVGA single fan cooler, as well as much more effective at cooling the card. (I'll find out soon)
While I'm waiting for them to arrive, (they should be here tomorrow), I went ahead and overclocked my cards. I increased the Core Clock by 77MHz to 809MHz, Memory Clock from 1900MHz to 2002MHz, and Voltage from 0.963V to 1.013V. Everything seems stable. I played Borderlands 2 (all maximum settings) for a few hours, and ran 3DMark11 a couple of times with no problems. The max temperature I reached was 79C on the top card, 70C on bottom card. Hopefully those temps will get down to the 60's once I install the new coolers. As far as running my cards at 97C, that only happened for a total of 45min. The cards are still fairly new, so I don't think I caused too much damage.

Edit: I lowered the voltage to 1.000V. Same clock speeds on both core & memory. (809/2002) Stability seems perfectly fine, and 3DMark11 scores were almost identical from the previous voltage settings. My temperature did however come down to 76C top / 68C bottom. I'm pretty happy with these settings, I'll let you know how the coolers perform once I install them.

Last edited by Toto; November 17, 2012 at 04:33 AM.
Old November 17, 2012, 05:43 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

Ok,this seems very nice,77 Mhz is a good medium overclock and it's really nice,believe me, i tried to push harder,and finally,the result was instability in crysis 1 modded,recovery mission, so don't try any harder, 80 mhz more is really nice.Ok,you didn't damage your cards at all,if they are quite new.

But believe me,the 2coolers should be louder^^
Also renember that a card that is 80c all the time will die sooner than a card that is 70c all the time,anyway if you don't wanna keep em more than 6 years,it's ok i guess
Old November 17, 2012, 10:58 AM
Rookie

My System Specs

Here's a good noise comparison between the stock EVGA fan vs. the Accelero Xtreme Plus (3 Fan Cooler).

Comparing the GTX 570 Reference Cooler Against the Accelero Xtreme PLUS - YouTube

Skip to 7:56 for the noise comparison. (both at max fan settings)
Old November 22, 2012, 06:15 PM
Rookie

If you are not gaming is setting Asus GPU Tweak manual fan setting to 32% a good setting to prevent over heating. This is for Asus GTX 660 DirectCu II non overclocked card.
Also using stock fans on Antec P280 on low plus Noctua 120mm front of case.

Dan
Old November 22, 2012, 07:15 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

woah, actually it's like a CPU cooler for GPU
Old November 22, 2012, 08:12 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Nice read, I would like to add something to this.

Shroud based coolers that cover the entire card will normally run hotter even though the blower type fan will push the hot air trapped inside the shroud OUTSIDE the case through vents. So it's even more important to get proper case cooling.

I've owned many generation gfx cards all factory OC and never had any issues running the most stressful games during hot summer months. Normally a GPU can handle the heat and are made to run quite hot.....when you get to the point where you have blue screens or games crashing then something is wrong and needs to be rectified.

My case has a side fan blowing air in.......1 front fan blowing air in, 1 rear fan pushing hot air OUT. I used to have 2 rear fans pushing hot air out, but now I have 1 x 120mm PSU fan sucking hot air and pushing out........
Also another thing noticed is the very conservative / quit fan profiles used, where the fan is not running as fast as it should under a certain condition (i.e. when your games crashing and temps getting higher, is your GPU fan running high enough ? In some cases you can manually adjust it and icnrease it to 100% if needed......) noise is not an issue when you are gaming, have headphones on or speakers. I never had GPU overheating issues ever and I've had the 8800GT and 8800GTS cards these MFs ran quite hot, especially the single slot 8800GT, without proper air flow it would be a disaster.
Old November 22, 2012, 08:15 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

As long as you have 1 front and 1 rear fan,it's enough for a normal gaming PC.Side fan does almost nothing,generally, i removed it, it's only 1 to 2c hotter,and the air is still fresh in the case.