Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Video Cards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old September 7, 2011, 07:13 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

I've been running 580's (Evga) since there release and have not looked back, great Cards and can be found for around $475 new (I sold one for $400), amazing performance and great thermals (rarely hit 75c) running Sli on 2560x1440, TriSli was too much (yes even for me), IMO the 580's are still the best choice for performance /thermals.
Obviously 1920x1080 won't need the poop my Res requires.

You certainly don't require 3GB VRAM, 1.5GB is ample @1080.

Good luck n was mentioned, don't expect to see GTX 6xx series till perhaps 2nd 1/4 2012, look for Evga GTX 580 Classifieds though ;)

Old September 8, 2011, 08:00 AM
F@H

My System Specs

I would at this point honestly opt for a 580. Any type of 580 will do (just avoid the 3GB models, they are a realy waste of money).
nVidia's drivers have been very good for me as of late, and that is really the linch pin for any graphics card.
You will have people from both sides saying one way or the other. The Decision is ultimately yours to make.
Even I was swayed to get 6950's and 6850's. Until I had so many problems with the cards that even XFX was baffled and RMA'd them in hopes it really was just bad cards (it wasn't...).

In lieu I got myself a EVGA 580 and it runs fairly cool 70's max load, with good FPS on what I play (WoW, WoT, LoL, EVE) all maxed with forced AA.
It was honestly the best investment I made, and if you want to as well, grab a 520 for a PhysX card if that suits your fancy.

-ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com
Old September 8, 2011, 09:01 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

^^^^ Ues after the 480 furnaces the 580's nailed it, hhhmmmm, think it will be a year thus Nov since installing them and not even thinking of what to replace em with.....that's "odd" for me ;)

Old September 8, 2011, 11:50 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjbarker View Post
^^^^ Ues after the 480 furnaces the 580's nailed it, hhhmmmm, think it will be a year thus Nov since installing them and not even thinking of what to replace em with.....that's "odd" for me ;)

Same. I have no desire to really change that status quo as of yet, and my 460's were the second best investment made for my other rig.
Awesome cards for the cost.

-ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com