Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Video Cards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old August 23, 2011, 06:01 PM
Rookie

Default XFX Customer Service?

I tried doing a search on the topic but it didn't yield any returns at all. Sorry if this has been asked before.

Has anyone dealt with XFX CS before? Do they have a Canadian service facility or does the card have to be sent to the US?

I have an XFX 6850 that is 8 months old. The fan just started making a really weird and loud grinding noise so I expect that it is shot. I opened a ticket on the XFX website and someone answered just a bit ago and they said that they don't stock fans/coolers for this model and that they could see if they had a non-repairable card with a working fan/cooler that they could ship to me and I could replace the fan myself. All that was needed was a small philips screwdriver and some thermal paste but I need to be careful not to void the warranty.

I guess this kinda baffles me. Why am I repairing my own card that is under warranty? Has anyone else dealt with them? Would love some thoughts and opinions on how I should proceed.

Mumbly
Old August 23, 2011, 06:07 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

If XFX is recommending that you replace the HSF yourself.. you won't be voiding your warranty.
Old August 23, 2011, 06:13 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I don't see what the concern is.

They're technically just sending you replacement parts for free, which is cheaper and better than you having to send it back in. Most CSR's wouldn't take the time to do this for a customer and would just tell you to send in the card or screw off.
Old August 23, 2011, 06:15 PM
F@H

My System Specs

It would be far quicker for them to send you an HSF than for you to send the card in and get it shipped back if you are comfortable changing it over. It will also save you the cost of shipping the card back to their service depot.
Old August 23, 2011, 06:21 PM
Rookie

You guys make some great points. I am glad I posted it here so you can set me straight. I appreciate it.

Mumbly

Last edited by Mumbly; August 23, 2011 at 08:19 PM.
Old August 23, 2011, 06:33 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Let us know if XFX goes through with that, if so that's some great service.
Old August 24, 2011, 11:13 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

XFX warranty allows you to change the hsf on their cards without voiding it. As far as changing it goes, it is very simple to do. If you're not sure there are lots of tutorials out there, just Google :)
Old September 6, 2011, 11:25 AM
Rookie

Thanks for all the feedback guys. I really appreciate it.

The parts came in today. They sent a fan/heat sync assembly from a non-repairable card. I wish you could replace the fan without having to remove the heat sync but I guess that is just the way it is.

I am back up and running again.

Thanks to all.