Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Video Cards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old August 21, 2011, 02:36 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

OP, I'd stick with a single GPU if I were you. As previously mentioned, your 5870 is no slouch and should still be solid for a while. (Depending on what games you play and what FPS you expect/want) Moving forward, I'd stay away from dual GPU solutions. (Both in sli/XFire and dual GPU cards) Both companies seem to have dropped the ball with multi-card driver support recently. Also consider the cost of a new PSU if you're going multi-gpu. And really, with the excellent performance of both the 580 and the 6970 as single GPU's, it's very difficult to justify spending more money. But, as always, it comes down to individual choice. I spent money on dual 570's recently, then switched to a single 580 and was very happy. (Not to mention, significantly reduced power consumption, noise and heat output.)

*EDIT* - The term 'bottleneck' refers to your computer being only as fast as it's weakest link. Consider data flow as pumping water through a series of pipes, all of various widths. You'll only ever be able to push water through as fast as the smallest pipe allows you to. This is particularly noticeable in a gaming environment, as most games only take advantage of a couple cores and no hyperthreading. (Two thicker pipes are more effective than 4 or 6 smaller ones, since only two will be open at any given time.) So it's all about top-end speed and cache. Although, there's typically a hard-cap on CPU speeds before diminishing returns in games. This, of course, is likely to change in the future as more and more games are being developed for multicore usage.

Last edited by Caldezar; August 21, 2011 at 02:47 PM.
Old August 21, 2011, 06:18 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caldezar View Post
OP, I'd stick with a single GPU if I were you. As previously mentioned, your 5870 is no slouch and should still be solid for a while. (Depending on what games you play and what FPS you expect/want) Moving forward, I'd stay away from dual GPU solutions. (Both in sli/XFire and dual GPU cards) Both companies seem to have dropped the ball with multi-card driver support recently. Also consider the cost of a new PSU if you're going multi-gpu. And really, with the excellent performance of both the 580 and the 6970 as single GPU's, it's very difficult to justify spending more money. But, as always, it comes down to individual choice. I spent money on dual 570's recently, then switched to a single 580 and was very happy. (Not to mention, significantly reduced power consumption, noise and heat output.)

*EDIT* - The term 'bottleneck' refers to your computer being only as fast as it's weakest link. Consider data flow as pumping water through a series of pipes, all of various widths. You'll only ever be able to push water through as fast as the smallest pipe allows you to. This is particularly noticeable in a gaming environment, as most games only take advantage of a couple cores and no hyperthreading. (Two thicker pipes are more effective than 4 or 6 smaller ones, since only two will be open at any given time.) So it's all about top-end speed and cache. Although, there's typically a hard-cap on CPU speeds before diminishing returns in games. This, of course, is likely to change in the future as more and more games are being developed for multicore usage.
So you're saying that I shouldn't have any trouble for future games? Right now I'm looking into buying Skyrim. There's no specs out yet but it looks demanding..

Sorry for sounding pesky.

And thanks for the explanation.
Old August 21, 2011, 06:40 PM
Banned
F@H

depending on resolution and quality settings, your card could be ok or not really. it all depends on those

settings. and the supporting hardware/software , of course.
Old August 21, 2011, 08:04 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by melonpaste View Post
So you're saying that I shouldn't have any trouble for future games? Right now I'm looking into buying Skyrim. There's no specs out yet but it looks demanding..

Sorry for sounding pesky.

And thanks for the explanation.
You don't have to worry. The great majority of gaming companies make it so their games can run on a variety of hardware. If an xbox360 can run skyrim with decent settings, then your system is way more than capable. You gotta remember that there are still a bunch of people out there running dual cores with gpu's way less capable than a 5870 and game companies have to keep that in mind to sell a lot of games.
Old August 21, 2011, 09:20 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by _dangtx_ View Post
depending on resolution and quality settings, your card could be ok or not really. it all depends on those

settings. and the supporting hardware/software , of course.
Since I play on a rather small monitor (doesn't bother me) I play at 1280x1024 and I would prefer having the highest settings possible with a tiny bit of AA. Maybe x2 or x4. And I usually go medium in anisotropic filtering and such.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloudFire View Post
You don't have to worry. The great majority of gaming companies make it so their games can run on a variety of hardware. If an xbox360 can run skyrim with decent settings, then your system is way more than capable. You gotta remember that there are still a bunch of people out there running dual cores with gpu's way less capable than a 5870 and game companies have to keep that in mind to sell a lot of games.
So at least my processor is good for the future?
Old August 21, 2011, 09:30 PM
Banned
F@H

well at that resolution the 5870 is fine,but i wouldnt be able to sleep at night if my eyes were stucl on anything less than a 23 or 24 or larger with 1080p of course.

at that resolution,again,the cpu will play a large role but you should be ok

get a bigger screen maite, look up a deal.
Old August 21, 2011, 09:36 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by melonpaste View Post
Since I play on a rather small monitor (doesn't bother me) I play at 1280x1024 and I would prefer having the highest settings possible with a tiny bit of AA. Maybe x2 or x4. And I usually go medium in anisotropic filtering and such.

So at least my processor is good for the future?
Turn up all your settings to max, a 5870 will handle AA and AF easily, only when you notice slow downs (which won't happen at that reso), then you can turn down settings to improve fps. A 5870 has no problem handling games at 1080p reso with all settings set to high on the great majority of games and your cpu is good for at least another 2-3 years easily so I wouldn't worry about anything.

Even if you do somehow incur slow down in fps, which is highly unlikely at that reso, the order of which things you can turn down are the following: AA -> shadows/lighting -> texture -> everything else. Generally speaking, those are the most taxing settings on fps. AF has virtually no hit on fps at all, even older cards will run at 16x AF no prob.
Old August 21, 2011, 09:45 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by _dangtx_ View Post
well at that resolution the 5870 is fine,but i wouldnt be able to sleep at night if my eyes were stucl on anything less than a 23 or 24 or larger with 1080p of course.

at that resolution,again,the cpu will play a large role but you should be ok

get a bigger screen maite, look up a deal.
It doesn't bother me though hahah

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloudFire View Post
Turn up all your settings to max, a 5870 will handle AA and AF easily, only when you notice slow downs (which won't happen at that reso), then you can turn down settings to improve fps. A 5870 has no problem handling games at 1080p reso with all settings set to high on the great majority of games and your cpu is good for at least another 2-3 years easily so I wouldn't worry about anything.

Even if you do somehow incur slow down in fps, which is highly unlikely at that reso, the order of which things you can turn down are the following: AA -> shadows/lighting -> texture -> everything else. Generally speaking, those are the most taxing settings on fps. AF has virtually no hit on fps at all, even older cards will run at 16x AF no prob.
Thank you.

And when my comp starts to get outdated what should I focus in upgrading first?
Old August 21, 2011, 11:38 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

The whole system :)