Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   Video Cards (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/video-cards/)
-   -   GTX 295 as a PhysX card.. to much ? (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/video-cards/45762-gtx-295-physx-card-much.html)

Alpine August 19, 2011 01:30 PM

GTX 295 as a PhysX card.. to much ?

Someone i know is selling a Evga GTX 295. Im planning to buy it and use it as a PhysX card.

Do you think that card is too strong for that ??

_dangtx_ August 19, 2011 01:38 PM

i say dont pain yourself :)

zsamz_ August 19, 2011 03:18 PM

too much for physx

GT7R August 21, 2011 03:54 AM

Lol it is more powerful than all your other cards at the 'system specs' ;)

supaflyx3 August 21, 2011 04:06 AM

No, not really. Not all games support SLI.

Alpine August 21, 2011 09:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GT7R (Post 542746)
Lol it is more powerful than all your other cards at the 'system specs' ;)

System spec is not up to date

Thanks everyone

mo' power August 21, 2011 08:08 PM

It seems that overkill is a word that is thrown around a lot. Personally, I don't believe in overkill, I believe in futureproofing. Today's overkill components are tomorrow's optimal components. I think you should buy the best you can afford or what you are comfortable spending now then having to replace something in a year or two's time. You never know what kind of system you'll have a few years down the road. Even though you system may be slightly bottlenecked now, it probably won't be in a year or two as you upgrade or replace your platform.

When buying a psu, I don't buy the one that is optimal for my system, I buy the best most powerful one I can afford. As for video cards, I was using my old GTX275 for physx. Overkill? Yes. But I already had the card when I upgraded to SLI. As for my old power supply, was it overkill when I bought it? Definitely. But it wasn't overkill when I upgraded my platform. I'd still be using it now if it hadn't given up the ghost, but that's beside the point.
So when people start throwing around overkill, take it with a grain of salt. Picture what direction your rig is going and take it from there. Just my $0.02.

GT7R August 21, 2011 11:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mo' power (Post 542945)
It seems that overkill is a word that is thrown around a lot. Personally, I don't believe in overkill, I believe in futureproofing. Today's overkill components are tomorrow's optimal components. I think you should buy the best you can afford or what you are comfortable spending now then having to replace something in a year or two's time. You never know what kind of system you'll have a few years down the road. Even though you system may be slightly bottlenecked now, it probably won't be in a year or two as you upgrade or replace your platform.

When buying a psu, I don't buy the one that is optimal for my system, I buy the best most powerful one I can afford. As for video cards, I was using my old GTX275 for physx. Overkill? Yes. But I already had the card when I upgraded to SLI. As for my old power supply, was it overkill when I bought it? Definitely. But it wasn't overkill when I upgraded my platform. I'd still be using it now if it hadn't given up the ghost, but that's beside the point.
So when people start throwing around overkill, take it with a grain of salt. Picture what direction your rig is going and take it from there. Just my $0.02.

True. :)

Inate8 August 22, 2011 08:53 AM

Physics cards are over-done period.
You don't need anything like that for physics if you have a top end Nvidia card already.
If you don't then, meh, use what you can get.

Bond007 August 22, 2011 09:44 AM

IMO its not worth the power it would suck from the wall for physx. My vote is overkill.