Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Video Cards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old August 17, 2011, 09:03 AM
Rookie

My System Specs

Exclamation having trouble with my XFX HD 6970 drivers

Hi everyone,

i bought an HD 6970 in may and i have having a bit of trouble with the cards drivers. whenever i try to play games, something goes wrong. when i try to play nfs shift 2, i can play for a while but eventually the game freezes, and the screen turns a random solid colour (usually grey but has turned many different colours) and it stays there for about 10-15 seconds and the game resumes. i tried turning up the fan of the 6970 to 100% (its loud!) and playing, it reduced the amount of time in between the lags but they still happen.

when i am playing farcry 2 i can play for about 10 minutes and the game crashes and the screen resolution changes from 1920 X 1080 to 1360 X 1024 and an error message comes up saying display drivers have stopped working blah blah blah.

when i try to play need for speed world i can play for a while but eventually just like nfs shift 2, the game freezes and the screen goes one solid colour, then eventually after about 5 of the lags the game shuts down and i get the same message about the drivers.

another thing is that i viewed the error log on windows 7 and it said that AMD catalyst drivers are causing windows to not boot up from sleep mode properly. and sometimes when i go to acess AMD catalyst controller it doesnt open up and it shows its loading but it never actualy opens.

another thing i would like to point out is that the card was installed on my computer in replace of my XFX HD 5670 and both cards where professionally installed on my system by TigerDirect.ca drivers and all.

anybody with any info on this or if you have had the same problem please reply, as i would like to get this fixed asap! thanks

Last edited by FLATLANDRIDER; August 17, 2011 at 01:51 PM.
Old August 17, 2011, 09:15 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

The professional installation might be your isssue. use a driver cleaner to clean your current drivers and download new ones. If this doesn't work try a different video card, if it still doesnt work it is your board if the new card does work RMA your 6970.

Edit: actually first try to reseat your card in the PCI-e slot
Old August 17, 2011, 10:13 PM
Banned
F@H

before you do anything load a live cd and check for issues. none? than go with the above.

still issues? then look up hardware,reseat,power,temps as you've mentioned.
Old August 18, 2011, 12:19 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

please excuse my stupidness but what do you mean by load i live cd?
Old August 20, 2011, 10:38 AM
Top Prospect
F@H

My System Specs

Hi
When I bought my ATi Sapphire 5870 OC edition card I had similar problems. Sapphire tech had me flash my video card Bios which helped. Also what version are you running the 880 Standard / 900 XXX or 925mhz Black edition clocks? Is the video card overclocked if so set it back to default as well. Looking at your system specs you posted that your CPU is overclocked, you can try setting your system back to a non overclocked state as well. Just some other suggestions. Good luck.
Old August 21, 2011, 02:37 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

thanks for the info RBA, my card is not overclocked and i am running 880 standard, and i was having these problems before i overclocked my cpu. i have tried bringing my cpu clocks to original but it did not make any difference. also i dont know if i should call them because i have a few torrented games :S and dont want to get in trouble. thanks again